Skip to main content

Topic: U280 vs U300 (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

U280 vs U300
Hello all,

I've narrowed down my search to either a U280 or a U300, but I have a couple questions.

1)  What year did these models switch to a wide body?  I think it was around 1992, but I'm not sure.  Did U280 and U300 both switch in the same year?

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: U280 vs U300
Reply #1
Joe,

The U300 DD is the 6V92.

Specs for various years: Foretravel brochures, specifications and manuals Information Links

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Hey Joe, the U 280& the U 300 are about the same coach a few more things on the U300 depending on year, the wide body first year was 92 it was the 25 the anniversary of foretravel.
Others more wiser than me will add to this list of things, some...

Reply #3
Hello all,

I've narrowed down my search to either a U280 or a U300, but I have a couple questions.
For those of you with the U300 and the DD 8v71, have you had any issues finding shops that...

Reply #4
The Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA as found in U300 was the first electronic HD diesel made. Everything is done via the DDEC II (Detroit Diesel Electronic Controls) and has NO RACK to run regardless of what you might hear. It also is protected against...

Reply #5
have two 6V-92 in our 48' 1981 Westport tri cabin boat.

Cummins M11 in my U320

Really glad to have the 6V-92 in the boat, just so neat to hear, start immediately, one of my boat partners has learned how to work on them, and he is not a mechanic by...

Reply #6
I have a 1994 U300, with the Detroit 6V92  350 HP, 4 speed allison transmission.  No Problems with the set-up or maintaining my unit. You must Follow Lubrication Specifications on engine oil, Straight 40 or 50 weight, Delo or Shell T1. The only...

Reply #7
have two 6V-92 in our 48' 1981 Westport tri cabin boat.
Bet they are mechanical 6V-92s.

P

Reply #8
yup

still love them...

Tim Fiedler

Sure Start Soft Start - home of SureStart soft starters TCER Direct - home of Generac Approved Aluminum and Copper TCER Composite cable generator-gas-prod - home of X-Riser Gas Risers for PE installation Call me at...

Reply #9
Tim,

Nothing wrong with the old school mechanical Detroits. They require zero electrical hookups aside from the starter motor. The lift pump is mechanical so once running, they stay running. I never liked the fuel valve that requires 12 or 24...

Reply #10
Boat has been used about 250-300 hours a year last 12 years. Basic maintenance. No smoke, great sound. About 10GPH total at 10 knots

Tim Fiedler
Gen-Pro.biz
630 240-9139

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Joe, reason we went with the U300 over the U280 was towing ability. The U300 can tow 6000 pounds, while the U280 is limited to 2000. That really limits your towed.

As has been mentioned, finding techs to work on the two cycle Detroits is becoming...

Reply #12
Can't see a real reason for the difference in towing capacity. The frame and brakes are the same. The only thing I can think of is the Jake vs retarder. If I owned a U280, I don't think I would worry too much about it. I watched a U300/280 tow a...

Reply #13
I would guess that once you eleminate the valve train components any normal diesel mechanic should be capable of maintenance or repair. Just make sure you get the correct DD 2 stroke motor oil, better yet have the correct oil onboard for a full...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Yeah, sure!! The diesel engine shops today don't want anything to do with any diesel engine not equipped with an on-board computer that will do the diagnostics for the "mechanics".
Been there, tried that!!
Dropped our coach off at one of the top...

Reply #15
GCWR for the U280 as of 7/1/95 was 36,000 lbs.  ours comes in at about 27,000 before the Jeep.  That leaves me with what should be plenty of room ( 9,000 lbs ) to tow.      Sure not going up a 6% grade faster than 45 mph towing 9 grand though.

Reply #16
GCWR for the U280 as of 7/1/95 was 36,000 lbs.  ours comes in at about 27,000 before the Jeep.  That leaves me with what should be plenty of room ( 9,000 lbs ) to tow.      Sure not going up a...

Reply #17
Oh,,  I was thinking that if a person ( me) had the GV under the max (28,000)) then it left more room ( weight ) for the GC ( towing).   Wrong ??      6,000 is still plenty though.

Reply #18
You have the right idea. The GCWR minus the GVWR shows how much you can tow--as long as you don't exceed the hitch capacity. I'm not sure of the stated hitch capacity for either model.

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
As far as finding someone to fix your engine There is always someone that knows someone that knows the guy that knows about those engines. The good news is if you do good maintenance keep good hoses and belts on them they are so reliable that...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
My problem was NOT an engine related problem. It was a fuel supply problem that had apparently built up over time, compounded by age of the coach, and yet, after calling around and going around to almost every single diesel shop in the northern...

Reply #21
For between $100 and $200, several members have been able to pick up a Pro-Link 9000, a diagnostic testing tool for our 92 series. I keep one in the coach and another in the garage. All the 2-cycles installed in Foretravels are electronic...

Reply #22
Wow, thanks everybody for the input!  I learned a bunch.  It seems like either model would work for me and I should probably just look more at condition of the coach. 

That said, anybody know of any good U280s or U300s for sale?  I'd be looking...

Reply #23
When we were looking for our coach (took a year!), we found it on: www.rvtrader.com

Reply #24
Took us a year plus also but we found EXACTLY what we wanted on this forum.
The important stuff for us was length (36), bathroom layout (walk through),engine size/access ( 8.3,side radiator) and color (DW).....   hopefully it's the "last coach...