Skip to main content
Topic: Ladder Removal? (Read 512 times) previous topic - next topic

Ladder Removal?

I have limited storage options where I live. 

On my first try I was able to squeeze the coach in with the upper portion of the ladder just touching a steel cross member on the back wall and the wiper arms just clearing the roll up door.  Has anyone removed the ladder from their coach?  If so what is the process of removal?  What did you do to not end up with ugly marks from where it was attached to the coach?

DW suggested her brother, a retired welder...think power plant welder.....could cut a piece of the cross member out.....not sure the storage unit owner would go along with that!
Tom and Lisa

2003 U320 38' PBBS
Build No. 6217

Re: Ladder Removal?

Reply #1
The ladder is attached with screws and caulking. Removes in just a few minutes.

You can remove it and:

1. Caulk the holes or
2. Put a metal patch over each attach point.  Screw and caulk.  Paint or polish the patch if you want it to look good. Or
3. Use expoxy or bondo filler and paint to match the existing finish.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #2
Let air out of tires to lower coach, and keep ladder.

Reply #3
Length not height is the issue.
Tom and Lisa

2003 U320 38' PBBS
Build No. 6217

Reply #4
Remove the ladder.  Use oversized aluminum rivets in the open holes.  Would not look particularly out of place.  Paint them white if they still bother you.

And, easy to drill out if you ever want to reinstall the ladder.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #5
Take the ladder off, calk the holes and put it back on when you sell it. The next buyer will appreciate that.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #6
Unfortunately, in my opinion there is no other way to safely climb up on roof without the very top curved part of ladder. And you will need to be on the roof many times.

Reply #7
Bring it in the other way, nose first,  will the roll up clear the ladder?
1987 Grand Villa OREG 460 SBID

Reply #8
I got tired of folding up our lower half to check engine stuff so I removed it.  And  besides I keep a 5 foot Werner in the bay so I can still get up there when needed,  unless this happens.
  Up on the roof cleaning the solar panels and the wind blew the ladder over.  Dang... trapped on the roof.  Beat on the coach and NOTHING I did could get the DW attention. Left my phone in the coach so I couldn't call her, ( won't do THAT again).    Nothing left to do so,,, I found out how good my biceps were and did the hand over hand thing with my feet hanging below me ( prolly made quite the pic, but fortunately/ or unfortunately no one around).

Added these plugs where the screws were so that I could always reinstall the bottom part.

Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #9
Bob, we bungee our ladder for extra security when climbing, but see your situation is another reason to secure ladder to coach before climbing. 

We originally had a 6 foot Werner, but found we had to almost stand on top of ladder to reach high things. so we replaced the 6 foot with an 8 foot and found it 'just' fit stored between the inside of closed bay doors.  Found it MUCH safer to use 8 foot.

We had Rance at Xtreme make a major mod to lighten and hinge our rear engine door, with the result that the lower part of our ladder is now gone.  Just like Bob, we cannot get to the coach ladder without a folding ladder on the ground.