Skip to main content
Topic: rear camera issue (Read 495 times) previous topic - next topic

rear camera issue

Now that I am able to drive at night if I so desire, I need to find the problem with the rear camera when driving at night.
 The camera seems to pick up interference from the lights and becomes useless. I have pulled over and turned the lights out and the problem still is there. During the day it never has the problem even with the lights on. I will continue searching for the gremlin, but wondered if anyone else has had this issue.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Re: rear camera issue

Reply #1
A:  Do you mean that some kind of electrical interference is causing static or wavy lines or something in your monitor image?

Or B:  Do you mean your tail lights and the headlights from other vehicles are making it so you can't see anything (or very little) at night?

If it's "A" then no, haven't had a problem.  When I installed a new camera I used the same power wire as the original camera.

If it's "B" then I have the same problem - can't see much at night.  I can see the towd is still attached, but that's about it.

Seems some rear cameras are better at producing a night image than others.  I think they use infrared emitters to illuminate the scene at night.  Some just work better, or have more emitters, or something.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
Do you have original camera/monitor  or upgrade?
1992 U225 36'
Build #4134
1987 Rockwood 32'
Ham radio/Motorcycles and old cars
Both of us are Retired
Married 32 years
Other half is "Old Toolmaker"
Dog named Duke.

Reply #3
It appears to be some kind of electrical interference connected with the lights, but why the problem still exists when I turn the lights off at night is the mystery. In daylight lights on no issue. You may be on to something if an infrared is involved. The camera is not the factory one and was on the coach when I bought it along with a color monitor. 
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #4
I just replaced the BNC connectors that connect to the Audit box.  When on a bumpy road the camera would go out or show static.  That helped but I also had to cut off about 8" of the coax cable since when twisting that it would produce the same effects.
Not sure if that is similar to your problem but might be worth looking at the connectors and cable.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #5
Cameras have different circuitry in them that is activated when day or night.  It might be that your camera night circuitry is the problem and you might just need a new camera that works better at night.

I had a older Tahoe that the rear camera worked perfect at night.  With my new Tahoe it is almost impossible to make anything out at night with it.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #6
Cameras have different circuitry in them that is activated when day or night.  It might be that your camera night circuitry is the problem and you might just need a new camera that works better at night.

I had a older Tahoe that the rear camera worked perfect at night.  With my new Tahoe it is almost impossible to make anything out at night with it.
That will be my next to do, as changing the camera is the simplest and will give me a known good device. It is not the monitor as the side cameras don't have an issue.