Skip to main content
Topic: Six months and $20,651.37 in -- and happy about it! (Read 1151 times) previous topic - next topic

Six months and $20,651.37 in -- and happy about it!

Several people have asked what it costs to buy a Foretravel.  The answer is always "it depends" or "it varies".  I think our previous owner paid about $1500/month in depreciation, maintenance, and upgrades over 2-3 years.  I've seen detailed books from a similar vintage showing about $2K/month in depreciation, maintenance, and upgrades over the same time period.  I'm just adding our data point.

Almost exactly six months ago, we bought a 1997 that we felt was below market and below what we would have liked in maintenance and records (no records at all).  We paid $32K with 155K on the odometer.  It had slightly lapsed tags and inspection.  We are experienced RVers, but not Foretravelers.  We did a six hour inspection, but still missed a few things.

On the plus side, the interior was eye popping with full walnut cabinetry and leather furniture.  I had really hoped to find oak cabinetry and didn't realize that walnut even existed in RVs.  What an incredible find!  When my wife stepped in and and her smile broke out, I knew our search was over -- like it or not.  Fortunately, I agree with her.  The exterior was fine and we plan to get it patched up and repainted after a year of qualifying it.  We're still cautious.

So, where did the $21K go?

Taxes and insurance: $3400
New mattress and some electronics (nav and tire minder): $1900
Get current on the maintenance (shocks, exhaust, fluids, air dryer, AquaHot maintenance, A/C compressor, reseal, and filters): $8K
Other DIY work and spares (spare tire, filters, 50A cable, sewer, starter, alternator, cabling, misc.): $4K
Toad hook-up: $3800

I was under water when I bought it because I have a full-time job and can't devote the time I need (want?) to work on it, so I had to hire professional help.  I did a bunch of work until we were close to a trip and then drove it to my favorite repair facility where it could be attacked by several full-time technicians.  I'll enjoy saving money when I'm retired and can do more of the work.

It's still a 1997 40' paperweight worth about $32K, but it's a whole lot closer to going wherever we want to go without having to worry more than normal.

Regrets?  None, really.  My wife looks like she was punched in the gut when she sees the total bill, but she has no regrets either when asked if she would have paid $54K for our Foretravel.

If done differently, I would have hired Brett.  While we're experienced and I'm pretty good at DIY repairs, Foretravels are different and benefit from an inspector who specializes in Foretravels.  We still would have bought this one, but we would have gone in eyes open -- worth a lot.

On the controversial subjects:

AquaHots are the best heaters money can buy, but probably not worth it.  We're stuck with it and enjoying it.  I'd MUCH rather refill the diesel tank than the propane tank.

No slide, no regrets.  I've got $20K of jangle in my pocket and plenty of room for two people and a large dog.  I think it'll be fine when we full time.  Foretravels are way better designed than other brands' no-slide units.
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Re: Six months and $20,651.37 in -- and happy about it!

Reply #1
Worth way more than the 32k
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #2

Double that retail price. Throw the book away
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
Slides are an unnecessary pain for those that puT lots of miles on their rv. I'm glad I don't have any slides.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #4
My biggest objection is the flipped floor plan.  Dinette on the street side.  Versus under awning. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #5
Every forum post I read makes me love my simple, fast and high MPG beautiful ORED even more. Still lots of jingle in the pockets for additional robust upgrades, farkles, solar and road trips. Still under budget considerably, happy with coach. Strong foundation so I no longer drool for latest and greatest thing techno coach, with short lived gadgets. That's just me, and what makes me happy without much fuss.

Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #6
Rick, we bought our Foretravel 20 years ago and we know every inch and have made hundreds of mods. Not long ago we decided to do an Xtreme full body paint and since Xtreme removes everything, we bought new items to replace with. Rance did many mods and this total came to $50,000. Our coach still has the same about $35,000 resale value, even though we just spent more then it is worth. We are still further ahead by painting instead of replacing. These vehicles are not investments and owe us nothing.  So, you did just fine, and have followed a long line of Foretravel owners on the same path. Enjoy it for a few many decades.

Reply #7
Paid 39K 2 1/2 years ago, have 60K+ all in, and I did all the work of 100's of hours.But we have a new engine included.
Everything is done like new and upgraded. Many extra's.
Taken two 4 month winters south, among other assorted trips.
Depreciation is done, PO's paid that for me.
Cost's us $35.00 a month for insurance, less in the winter.
Love walking in and enjoying the smells. That is worth the price of admission right there.
All hooked up HDMI to my shop satellite, so we can watch HD TV.
Don't need no stinkin problematic slide's, thanks. (No offense to those that love theirs)
All that, and we have a guest house for visitors. Full hookups in shop.
Cheers

Reply #8
Sounds about right on $
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #9
For us its simple....no matter what you paid for your FT....and no matter how much you invested after purchase....you have something that will last longer, provide more user satisfaction and still give at least as good a resale to investment value than spending the same total amount of money on a new coach.
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #10
For us its simple....no matter what you paid for your FT....and no matter how much you invested after purchase....you have something that will last longer, provide more user satisfaction and still give at least as good a resale to investment value than spending the same total amount of money on a new coach.
AMEN

Reply #11
I got my 97 U270 about 18 months ago for a good price and put $12k into it for critical repairs, tires and such.  Still have some little things but still well worth it.

I did not want any slides and as few as possible computer stuff  ^.^d
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #12
I've always done a lot to my coaches and house boat..... that's another unit that has no end unless you just stop on your on. Call me foolish but while I keep the receipts I never total them up because I don't want to spoil my fun. It's just money and if a guy has taken care of his family first then why not take care of his toys.If I croke today the wife will be fine money wise. My only request is to not let some young broke opportunist step in and drive her around In my bus. At least find a older diesel bus nut that won't crow to his friends about what I left him to play with.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #13
If I were building to resell for a profit I would keep a tally but to me this is fun, not business.Chris.. be sure to tell your wife to let no broke young pretty boy drug store cowboy drive your bus.. Houston is full of them.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #14
while I keep the receipts I never total them up

This is some good advice. NEVER figure what you spend on these babies. At least in my case!
jor

Reply #15
Love reading these posts. I am with others when it comes to NADA value since you will never find one for the value they show unless it was not taken care of.  My 1991 GV has only 81,000 miles on the engine but I knew I would have to invest more then what the value shows just due to age. I love the quality and the wood and it feels like home. My first drive was 1200 miles after purchase and in storage and excited for my first maiden trip for Memorial day. I have an appointment to get the Onan checked out and the propane tank. My list will grow after my first camping trip I'm sure. So far, no regrets. I ended up paying $8,000 less then the NuCamp small trailer I was looking at. I follow a couple who owns one and they have had to take it to the factory to replace the warping flooring already. Repairs and maintenance are a fact of life in RV life. same goes for my home at much greater costs and labor so I might as have a home on wheels :)
Kathie :)
1991 Grand Villa
G91383636SBIORED250 model
Oshkosh v-917 frame rail type chassis
caterpillar 3208-t v-8 diesel engine w/ allison MT-643 four speed transmission