Skip to main content
Topic: Sat around (Read 719 times) previous topic - next topic

Sat around

Hello everyone! I just bought a 1994 grand villa unicoach  that hasent been used in 12 years and hasent been started in 4 years. My intentions are to get it up to par and run it as long as i can. I dont know much about it but i am so delighted that this forum exist😁.
Ok so i got the vin and decoaded it , its a detroit engine, 28 to 33,000 gvw. My main question is where do i start. What should i make shure of before i try to drive this 4 hrs home?
Does anyone think old tires will do a 4 hr drive?
Should i change the oil in the engine first?
The widow says it run when she last road in it. 
It has 109,000 miles on the odometer.

Re: Sat around

Reply #1
I am sure others will chime in, but I would look at the age of the tires. Check the DOT month/ year info on the tires. If over 7 years I would be concerned about them.
And if they have been sitting for a long time that is not good

Eric & Nancy
1999 36 Ft. U320 WTFE
2016 GMC Terrain

Reply #2
After checking the fluids, will she start? If she does, make sure you've air pressure to the bags.  I'd at least check the tire pressure,12 years is a LONG time for the tires; is there a tire outlet close by?  Any paperwork available on what the PO did ? Welcome to the forum!  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #3
If any of the tires were sitting completely flat on the ground, I would not trust them.  Sitting flat can cause damage to the sidewall.

If it starts and runs, and the engine oil looks OK on the dip stick (not milky white), and the level is good, I'd drive it the 4 hours and then change the oil and filter.  Better to change oil when its hot and well stirred up.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Where it me I would have it flatbed towed to where it needs to go. Your place if you are handy, your shop if not. As to tires hard to tell you more than likely unsafe. Of course it needs a full service of all systems. On the other hand it may start and run just fine with just batteries. If so you may be able to ease it home after airing the tires to correct pressure. You could have found a gem or a money pit. You might post where it's located and a knowledgeable forum member may offer to lend you a hand.  Welcome Good luck.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #5
Thanks everyone! 
I will go put a day in trying to get it ready then if all else fails, a flat bed it will have to be.
Anyone know the total height to the top of the ac units?

Reply #6
Agree with Chuck. If it airs up including tires, I'd take it home.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #7
Our U300/Detroit had not been started in over three years in North Carolina. Three new engine batteries and belts at Autozone, a trip to WalMart for bed sheets, air in the tires and we headed to visit friends a few hundred miles away on the ocean and then home to California. Broke a belt on the way but even stopped at a couple of NPs. Two days at the fuel cutoff of 82 mph too.

Changed oil when we got home. That was eleven trouble free years ago. Uses almost no oil and gets good fuel mileage. Have made another coast to coast, National Parks and several trips to Mexico. Zero coach bucks for broken/failed stuff since then. All the $$$ have been for insurance and fuel.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #8
Anyone know the total height to the top of the ac units?
Our coach has the original Penguin air conditioners, which are "low profile".  The highest "hard" point on our coach is the top of the ladder.

The ladder is 2" higher than the A/C units, and measures 11' 2" from ground level with the coach at ride height.

If the air conditioners have been replaced, it is possible they might stick up higher than the ladder.

I use 12' even as my "safe" pass under height.  On the road when going under bridges, you have to consider the effect of the road "crown", and also the possibility that the road has been repaved several times.  Better safe than sorry!
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #9
Somewhere here there is a drawing that someone made of a U300, giving nearly every dimension. As I recall, that showed a max travel height of 11' 10" so I have a placard on the dash saying safe clearance 12' 6".

Reply #10
Oldjug, Where are You?  maybe one of our members could meet you at your new coach and go over it with you. Lots of knowledge here and many of us have a lot of free time and would be happy to be an extra set of eyes...  ^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #11
Before you change the oil, google the oil Detroit 2 strokes require. Or search on this site.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #12
Unihome not unicoach
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #13

>>Hello everyone! I just bought a 1994 grand Villa Unihome  that hasn't been used in 12 years and hasn't been started in 4 years.

Congratulations.

>>My main question is where do I start. What should i make sure of before I try to drive this 4 hrs home?

Stating the obvious here: Chassis batteries.

>>Does anyone think old tires will do a 4 hr drive?

Only you can say.  Air up the tires and inspect them for weather checking and blisters.  If you choose to drive home, stop and check often at first.  Keep the speed down.

>>Should I change the oil in the engine first?

Probably not.  As others have said, inspect it for condition and quantity.  Check all of the fluids, check the rubber boots on the engine intake air.

>>The widow says it run when she last road in it.

Umm, yeah.  ;D

>>It has 109,000 miles on the odometer.

And you've purchased a home on a genuine truck chassis with genuine truck components.  If the over the road driver's traded in their vehicles every 100,000 miles none of our goods would ever get to market.

Congratulation on your new to you Foretravel.  After I had spent weeks learning about Fleetwood Bounders, my partner said "Have you considered Foretravel?  Why?  Because Foretravel is a high quality manufacturer, factory support and they have active community of owners.

Here I am.

P.S.  Any chance you can drive it across town to the tire store?
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.