Skip to main content
Topic: Assistance needed - Wet bay door inoperable (Read 837 times) previous topic - next topic

Assistance needed - Wet bay door inoperable

Wet bay door refuses to budge this morning.

Locked and unlocked via panel switch and key, no luck.

Can hear actuator lock, unlock.

Other bay doors lock/unlock as they should.

Any help appreciated.

Rick Owens
2019 Pleasure Way Lexor

Re: Assistance needed - Wet bay door inoperable

Reply #1
Look underneath and try to carefully pry out the weatherstrip.  That should give you a gap you can look up into to see where the bar or cable attaches and get an idea of how to reach up into the gap to release the latches.  I think a couple guys have been to get the flap open then reached up through that to pull the release.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #2
I had a 1/4 inch wide 18 inch long flatbladed screwdriver that could reach and push off the clip for the lock selenoid thethe Kay opened it. I just never reconnected the wet bay or the front bays.  Only the fuel bay and storage bays were connected so I did not have this issue often.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #3
Sincere thanks! 
2019 Pleasure Way Lexor

Reply #4
Try pushing on the ends of the door with your knees while you lift the handle or giving it a bump(push in) as you lift the handle.. sometimes its just a little stuck.

Reply #5
Rick, if you can get a flat bar used by lock smith to open car door you may be able to access the cable once seal is removed, pulling on cable will unlock door.  When door is open take off the inside panel and use a Allen wrench to loosen cable Locke pull cable until there is no slack in it then re-tighten Allen screws.  Check the latches to make sure they completely clear the guide mechanism then you should be ok to close door
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #6
When door is open take off the inside panel

I think mine are put together with rivets. How are you disassembling them?

Thanks,

Trent
Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #7
Trent, yes rivets but I have drilled them out and put self tapping screws in the holes. Makes it a bit easier for when things behind need to be fixed
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #8
I had the same thing happen today.  In my U295 this door is hinged at the top.  I was able to pull down the weatherstripping at the bottom of the bay.  This allowed me to see the latch with the help of a small flashlight.  If I pulled the latch handle up, the lock tried to pull the release mechanism up.  So I used a long file to push on the release mechanism and presto, it was open.  In my 2000 there are no cables.  As with many top hinged doors, the connection between the lock and the release mechanism is a steel "rod."  Also, there is no cover on the inside of the door.
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #9
Today I took the wet bay latch apart to see what the problem was.  The latch would not let go of the pin when the handle was pulled.  I could trip (i.e., close) the latch with a screwdriver, but when I moved the part of the latch that is raised by the lock mechanism, it would not release the latch.  At first, I thought it was the rod running from the lock to the latch and tried adjusting its length.  No help.  That approach has helped with other doors of this type. 

Then I took the latch off.  It took a lot of fooling around but I finally saw that the pin the holds the lever on the latch (the one that moves when one pulls on the lock handle)  was very difficult to move.  It turned out that the pin the holds this lever in place had pulled a bit out of its hole and that was the problem.  There are two layers of metal that make up the hole and it sort of got hung up between them.  A couple of taps with a hammer and it went back in.  Problem solved.  Hopefully, the fix will last.  Ample lubricant sprayed on the mechanism.  See the attached pics.
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #10
Further clarification.  My doors are lift up doors, not top hinged doors.  The locks are built in behind plastic panels and do not appear to be accessible.  There is a cable at each corner, none of which will give.  Tried slightly more than gentle knee nudge to no avail.  Not sure we can get past the metal frame just inside the perimeter of the door to get at cables.  It projects in about an inch further than the gap created by removing the gasket.  Any other ideas?   
2019 Pleasure Way Lexor

Reply #11
I had a similar situation yesterday with my LH fuel bay door, I could turn the key however the handle seem to be in a bind and wouldn't release. On the bus doors there are 4 latches, one at each corner, the are all connected to the handle mechanism in the center. I studied the other doors and how they worked and was able to free the bottom latches by holding up on the handle while grabbing and pulling up from the bottom edge shaking pretty hard. The top two were still snug and not moving, with the bottom somewhat loose I could hold it out about an inch which allowed me to use a clothes hanger and reach the cable to each upper lock and pull down, took a while but was finally able to unlatch them. Once open I could see that moving the handle was not moving the latches enough to free them, I removed the plastic center panel to expose the handle mechanism, sprayed all moving parts with silicone, was better just not right, I tightened the nut holding the handle which tightened up all the moving parts of the mechanism and that seemed to get everything working well again. I'm thinking I may also have a door alignment issue that contributed to the situation.
Bill and Marsha Kuykendall
1999 Foretravel U320 36' CAI
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #12
Problem Solved for my bus style swing up wet bay door:  After trying suggested methods (many thanks to all) I drilled a 5/16" hole in the latch low and just to right of center just nipping the  edge of the vertical bar that "rotates" a bit to release cables.  Insert screwdriver, push center bar to the left, door popped open.  Elapsed time to drill hole and pop door open <2 minutes. 
2019 Pleasure Way Lexor