Skip to main content

Topic: Starter Issues (Read 1140 times) previous topic - next topic

Starter Issues
Traveled from Florida to Our home base in Illinois on Thursday.  Today I wanted to start the coach and nothing.  I checked power on the large 12v lug on the starter and we have power.  We tested the power on the the solenoid 12v luv on the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Starter Issues
Reply #1
The starters a very generic. The allen screws let them be clocked for different applications. My International crane starter is the same as on my coach. The solenoids don't come off by just removing the 3 screws. There is a plug on the end of the...

Reply #2
Check the cable connections on the solenoid, may just be a lose connection.

Reply #3
Craneman,
Do you have a part number.  Is it in the 42MT family?

Looking at the starter I was able to find this tag on the starter.  Hard to read the part number.  Picture attached.  Also attached is a picture of a starter I found but don't know if...

Reply #4
Gary,
Cable connections are tight.  Stud on solenoid is loose.
John M.

Reply #5
Another search using the tag on my starter which I believe is P/N 195830 leads me to the Delco Remy 39MT Heavy Duty Gear Reduction Starter.   See attachment.  Just want to be sure.
John M

Reply #6
John, I had my starter rebuilt, was going to replace with upgrade but a Tech friend told me the new starters were aluminum and the housing around shaft where the starter gear engages would egg shape.  he suggested the re-build would last longer...

Reply #7
The attachment you posted has 3 different pinion configurations you need to count the teeth when you pull the starter. I will try to find the info in my files if you plan to but it first.

mine were 11 teeth on the pinion.

Reply #8
The attachment you posted has 3 different pinion configurations you need to count the teeth when you pull the starter. I will try to find the info in my files if you plan to but it first.

mine...

Reply #9
Pulling the starter tomorrow morning.  I have a place I can go to tomorrow, Action Truck Parts.
John M
The upper back bolt probably is a 5/8 12 pt head use a long 1/2" drive extension and an air...

Reply #10
The upper back bolt probably is a 5/8 12 pt head use a long 1/2" drive extension and an air gun to get that one
We don't have an air gun.  We will have to work with a breaker bar and see how it...

Reply #11
Used my harbor freight really long braker bar yesterday to remove large nuts from a dirt bike motor I was rebuilding.

Much easier with a really long bar.  Thanks for the post here at a sale price.

Reply #12
Starter on our ISM died a couple of years ago, in the driveway at home. It was always slow to start since we bought the coach. After installing the new starter it starts great, the engine turns over twice as fast as before. Bought a new starter...

Reply #13
The three mounting bolts were obscenely tight. Required a heavy duty breaker bar, 12 point socket, long extentions and long cheater, 1/2 inch impact wouldn't break them loose. The top bolt...

Reply #14
John, I had to replace mine last year. Similar problems you had. I did  a write up about a year ago. I couldn't get mine to start and raise up, it was a real bear to get the top bolt loose. Ended up with a 5/8 socket, 12" extension, long handle...

Reply #15
Larry,
Thanks for the info and advice.
John M

Reply #16
I couldn't get mine to start and raise up, it was a real bear to get the top bolt loose. ...... If I could have it raised like yours, much easier, but still will need the extra length for torque.

Reply #17
We looped a wide long strap around frame and starter allowing a 2nd person to pull from outside the coach to life the starter weight while I, underneath loosened bolts and then again when installing a new starter.

We had a slow starting issue for...

Reply #18
We looped a wide long strap around frame and starter allowing a 2nd person to pull from outside the coach to life the starter weight while I, underneath loosened bolts and then again when...

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Good luck! I have a slow starting starter too

Reply #20
Good luck! I have a slow starting starter too
Keith,
You might want to change it before it leaves you hanging.  The attached starter PDF is what's going in, PN 8200308
John M

Reply #21
Be sure you "clock" it to match the old one before you start putting it in.

Reply #22
John, the headless stud is a great idea. Make it long enough and maybe cut a screwdriver slot in the end to later remove it with weight on the threads.

Much interested in reduction gear starter, which we did not install.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
A couple of years ago I had to have ours rebuilt as it stopped working. Tech said the original was a good one and he rebuilt it in 4hrs as bushings caused armature to get stuck. Better than new now. We were passing thru Montana and a napa guy...

Reply #24
Be sure you "clock" it to match the old one before you start putting it in.
Chuck,
Never had to worry about clocking the starter so I looked it up.  Thanks to the internet and Youtube we can get...