Skip to main content
Topic: Loan or rent your RV?  (Read 1183 times) previous topic - next topic

Loan or rent your RV?

Does anyone here  rent or loan their RV to others?  If so what do you do for insurance, repairs. etc.

I had a auto rental /leasing business at one time  and required  my company to be listed as additional insured .
 Thanks for any insight .. MM

Re: Loan or rent your RV?

Reply #1
That would be a big liability that I would never try. Corporations have a buffer between the business and the owners homes
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
I'd never trust anyone enough to lend out my coach
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #4
No way....!!
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #5
Ain't happening!

TOM
SOB (Some Other Brand) division
1995 Wanderlodge WB40
8V92 :D

Reply #6
Except for you Hans.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #7
No, Net, Nein, Non! Just trash the rig yourself, why let someone else enjoy the fun? That way you'll have enjoyed the experience prior the big repair bills that will be coming your way.
We have owned a diesel motorhome for 12 years and a pop-up 2 years prior. We've been approached about lending out both. We've declined citing insurance and licensing restrictions (a simple 'No' is more forthright). 
Borrowers are generally not malicious or even careless when they cause the extensive damage that they do. They just aren't  as knowledgeable about your rig as you are. They make the mistakes that you'd know to avoid and it gets very costly, very quickly.
Bob and Pam Brumbaugh
Ernie (English Bulldog)
2000 U320 WTFE 40' Build # 5740 (former)
Xtreme "Lights and Paintjob"
Motorcade# 18659
Souderton, PA
Towd: 2021 Ford Ranger
Quickee Mini Golf Cart (former)

We Are....Penn State!

Reply #8
Hard to hurt one of these by someone who knows every system backwards and forwards. 

Most rv'ers are not that level.

More or less the average person
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #9
I never loaned my airplane out to anyone unless I was going too and I did the flying. I got real good at just saying NO. So far I haven't had anyone ask about the motorhome (thank goodness) but the answer will be the same NO
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
1999 U 295 40 foot Build # 5550
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #10
I have been asked by several friends, and my answer was always yes. It would take a $40,000 cash deposit, $1500/week, and $3/ mile. For some reason so far not a single taker. Might have to look into another line of business instead of rv rental king.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #11
We don't loan our  car, our airplane or RV to anyone! Lots of rental companies for all of these vehicles. If that spoils a friendship, so be it.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #12
My dad used to tell me never borrow or loan anything you can't pay for or replace. ,👍😎
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #13
And don't co-sign for a loan. ;D

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
Heck, if I can get away with it, I don't even let a tech drive mine into the shop!  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #15
I'd only loan my coach to one person.....Brett Wolfe!  Because I KNOW it would come back in better shape than it left.  LOL

Otherwise...no way.

Chris
1996 U295 36' WTBI

Reply #16
I'd only loan my coach to one person.....Brett Wolfe!
Ya, I guess Brett could borrow ours, 'cause he used to own her!  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #17
We were ONCE asked to use our motorhome. Our response was if something broke while you had it you would have to fix it. Request was withdrawn.

Really, liability even with maximum insurance, etc is way too much risk to take. Borrowers & renters tend to not take the same care as if they owned it. No one else drives our car and we never ever lend out our 8' ladder.

Reply #18
Race car rules.  It worked when I handed it to you.  If it breaks next run you get to fix it...
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #19
Not no but hell no!!!
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #20
I'd only loan my coach to one person.....Brett Wolfe!  Because I KNOW it would come back in better shape than it left.  LOL
Chris

WAIT.  That sounds like my experience with a charter sailboat in the Bahamas the winter we did not have time to move our boat from Texas.  I called the manager of the Moorings Fleet in Marsh Harbor who we knew from previous trips in our boat.

Asked her if she had a 35' or so sailboat coming off charter that we  could rent cheap.  Answer a week later after she checked with the owner is YES.  The name of the boat did not set off any alarms-- a new one to us.  The BAD (really BAD) news is that it had been renamed and we had seen that same boat on its side at the entrance to Black Sound, Green Turtle two years previously.

So, we get on the boat, and immediately a Texas saying pops into our head: "THAT AIN'T RITE".  Had a brief meeting with  the manager with a LONG list of "it's broke" (some how engines and electrical systems don't like to be submerged in salt water!).

She handed me the key to the Moorings parts warehouse and said just keep a list of what you needed.

Boat was inexpensive, but LOTS of labor. Yes, when we left, the boat was ready to sell/sail anywhere.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #21
Have to ask... Did you get enough hours/miles use out of her to accomadate your labor. My guess is yes...
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #23
Have to ask... Did you get enough hours/miles use out of her to accomadate your labor. My guess is yes...

Lots of lobsters! Unlike the other Mooring charter boats, we had no restriction on where we went.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #24
Having seen all that has gone wrong with our coach, our friends and family will never ask.  Aside from the insurance issues, there is a really long learning curve in just using the coach, never mind if something should go wrong on the road.  It seems like something always happens on our trips requiring immediate attention.  When people ask me if I would recommend them buying a coach, it is "sit down and let's talk time".  Unless someone is a prodigious DIYer with mechanical skills, I always recommend against it, unless they are getting something pretty simple and newer with an extended warrnty.

Getting back to the original question, I do allow people to sleep in the coach while it is parked outside.  It makes a great guest room.  My relatives from Denmark call it "the mansion".  Before seeing it, they could not conceive of this level of luxury in a vehicle. 

2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8