Skip to main content
Topic: My vmsPC setup (Read 1196 times) previous topic - next topic

My vmsPC setup

After ten years or so, I've finally hit a vmsPC setup I'm really happy with. After using a number of laptops, both Windows and Mac, and  a couple of Windows tablets, I've got a keeper.

The tablet is a Dell Venue 10".

As for the vmsPC layout, that has always been a work in progress.

The gps is a Garmin RV770
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Re: My vmsPC setup

Reply #1
Here are the photos
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #2
I have been using a Toshiba net book since day one and very happy with it as it is same size and never in the way of vision or ?
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #3
Tom,

Do you mind sharing your file?

Thank you very much!

Trent

eyler@cox.net
Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #4
Here's the latest. VmsPC v4.07 2003 U295 ISL400

Everything appears to be working. I took the non working odometers out.

Still a work in progress.

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #5
Tom, the trip odometers can be reset and then usually work.  Make a copy of the Vmspc/4.0.7 folder. You can delete the odometer files then start VMSpc with the pc connected to the JIB and the ignition on and reset the gauges.

4.0.8 has some improvements over 4.0.7.  You can install them both at the same time and run either one.

One of the ISL 400 engines is a low RPM version.  use the other one.

Reply #6
Here is mine.  I would hate to do without the selected gear indicator , mode, cruise speed, and retarder temp.

George
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #7
Interesting to see everyone's "dashboard"

I keep the right hand odo to when I changed the fan drive and resonator.

Added another odo in that area for total trip mileage. 

The bottom one is the current tank.

So I have three Odo's.

97's do not have the trans inputs showing gear selected and gear in.

I have an iPad on a weighted base and a ram mount that I keep in all-stays while driving.  I switch it between all-stays, weather radar, gas buddy and windy. 

All stays app  is in its centering mode and hybrid which overlays sat pictures and highways.  Zoom in an out.  Turn the iPad to make the route up.  iPad in portrait mode.

Keep a small garmin on another weighted base that shows the speed limit on its screen and gps mph

My trans temp seems to be retarder. 

Dash oem gauge is sump.  I think
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
I am still using V 2.5x on ours, but I will eventually get around to redoing my layout with the the latest version once (if they ever get around to it) they put out the version that can interface with our TST TPMS system. Ours runs on a 2009 Mac Mini via VMWare on Windows XP. The Mac is mounted on the tray that used to hold the old CRT monitor.
Don
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #9
I have a pre-release version of VMSpc 4.1 software and posted somewhere about the TST TPMS interface.  There is both a hardware and software component. It will be (when the hardware part becomes available) a fairly expensive add on, likely much more than just getting a TST 507 would be.  And in order to see what tires are doing all the time your PC and VMSpc would need to run all the time, maybe with the ignition on.  And in order to actually be able to see the numbers the display takes up a lot of screen space. It  looks like there is no tire temperature indication.  And it is not clear yet how alerts would happen? Slow leak, fast leak, high temp, low battery?  If you want both get each of the separately now.  No sense to wait. 

I have been suggesting to most that ask that a stand alone system is more functional and less money.

If you are using a smaller screen pc screen space is valuable.  George H got his hardware and a customized display from me that I see he modified a bit.  Each of us likes what we want to see.  The point is being able to see your screen easily without it distracting from your driving and at a glance see that all of the critical measures are in your comfort zone.  I think Too much detail detracts from attention on the road.

Reply #10
Of course the implementation and cost will determine whether or not there is value in integrating the TPMS into our VMSPC setup, but I wouldn't be seeking to replace the TST 507 monitor, just to supplement it. For instance, maybe just setting up warning lamps and or audio alert for rapid changes... Not really any kind of sea change, just a possible refinement. I agree, there is such a thing as TMI that could be distracting. As it is, I find it much quicker to assess the state of things with a glance at my VMSPC screen than the analog gauges on the dash. Still, nice to have backups. Like when the Cummins ECM oil pressure sensor went belly up and derated the engine and my dash oil pressure gauge was reading normally while the oil pressure reading on the VMSPC fluctuated wildly. It helped me quickly narrow down the problem and relieve anxiety that might have otherwise been present at the time.
Don
I have a pre-release version of VMSpc 4.1 software and posted somewhere about the TST TPMS interface.  There is both a hardware and software component. It will be (when the hardware part becomes available) a fairly expensive add on, likely much more than just getting a TST 507 would be.  And in order to see what tires are doing all the time your PC and VMSpc would need to run all the time, maybe with the ignition on.  And in order to actually be able to see the numbers the display takes up a lot of screen space. It  looks like there is no tire temperature indication.  And it is not clear yet how alerts would happen? Slow leak, fast leak, high temp, low battery?  If you want both get each of the separately now.  No sense to wait. 

I have been suggesting to most that ask that a stand alone system is more functional and less money.

If you are using a smaller screen pc screen space is valuable.  George H got his hardware and a customized display from me that I see he modified a bit.  Each of us likes what we want to see.  The point is being able to see your screen easily without it distracting from your driving and at a glance see that all of the critical measures are in your comfort zone.  I think Too much detail detracts from attention on the road.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #11
Mine is a constant work in progress, but fun work. I now have the odometers back and working. I've grouped my most used gauges together with a brown background. That color may change. The white areas are so I can right click the mouse there to switch from whole screen to window mode.

and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #12
Lots of options.  I use a 7" Samsung tablet most of the time.  I also use an 8" Samsung tablet, a 9.7" and a 10.5" iPads, an 8" NuVision tablet PC, a couple 10" ASUS variations and a MS Surface GO.  I am always experimenting

Reply #13
Constantly evolving

and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #14
After ten years or so, I've finally hit a vmsPC setup I'm really happy with. After using a number of laptops, both Windows and Mac,
Wait a minute. I thought that VMSpc was persona non grata with Apple IOS.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #15
Only way I found to run a ipad was to forward the windows hp11 streams screen to the iPad.  The hp can close the screen and stay on if set that way
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #16
Wait a minute. I thought that VMSpc was persona non grata with Apple IOS.

Runs under virtual pc.
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #17
Running VMSpc on any MAC device with a virtual Windows session for which you have to buy a Window OS to use is a very expensive way to run VMSpc.  Almost any Windows 7 or Windows 10 pc will work, the really cheap ones have very short battery life and not enough storage to effectively do any windows updates.  With an appropriate network you can run VMSpc on a pc and use any windows, android, amazon or apple device as a remote wireless monitor.  And more than one at a time, one for the driver and one for the navigator.

VMSpc running on Windows is hardly a limitation.

Reply #18
I quit running VmsPC on my Mac probably ten years ago. Since then I've run a number of Windows laptops and tablets.

I've currently settled on a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet. It's just sitting on the dash by the defrost vents, leaning against the windshield center support with a bit of sticky tape to keep it in place.

My JIB is so old it has an rs232 serial  interface and USB adapter. The new ones have the USB adapter built in. But my oldie still works great.

You can see the sticky tape along the top edge
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #19
Here is my current .scr file  It completely fills my tablet screen, and will probably need some trimming to fit other screens.

This is my seventh iteration for this tablet in horizontal format.  I originally used vertical format, but discovered the screen became invisible when I was wearing my polarized sunglasses.
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #20
Running VMSpc on any MAC device with a virtual Windows session for which you have to buy a Window OS to use is a very expensive way to run VMSpc.  Almost any Windows 7 or Windows 10 pc will work, the really cheap ones have very short battery life and not enough storage to effectively do any windows updates.  With an appropriate network you can run VMSpc on a pc and use any windows, android, amazon or apple device as a remote wireless monitor.  And more than one at a time, one for the driver and one for the navigator.

VMSpc running on Windows is hardly a limitation.
OK. Your right in that the windows emulator for Mac is clunky and I don't want to buy windows. The ASUS in your kit does the job perfectly.  The ASUS is the first windows machine I have used since I went Apple from windows 3.1 in 2000(ish). So I was just hoping as it would be nice to use the ASUS (beyond running SONOS) outside the coach.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #21
I have made maybe 100 different screens, some in a portrait format, some in 1/2 screen size, some in very big print to accommodate vision issues and in just about every screen resolution from 1080 x 600 to full 4K displays.  The screens are not stretchable.  Each size needs to be built to fit.  Most are designed to require minimum attention. The key readouts are bigger text.  All of the must know stuff has big easy to see indicators.  A quick glance and all green means OK.  It is easy to make a mountain driving screen where the key stuff for better driving management in the mountains is the focus.  Going across the flat land has a different focus.

There is no right or wrong screens, just what fits your needs.

Reply #22
The screens are not stretchable, but individual gauges (tiles) are readily resized and moved.
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
Temple City, California
FMCA F071251

Reply #24
Will the new version support page stretch? Any idea before the new update is released?