Skip to main content
Topic: FMCA vs. Coachnet Road Service (Read 2823 times) previous topic - next topic

FMCA vs. Coachnet Road Service

Has anyone used the FMCA road service? We switched from Coachnet this year and just renewed but I am having doubts primarily because of FMCA's awful website. It's as if they reached back in time, found a dBase III programmer, gave him an off the shelf design tool and told him to come up with something that would work. Anyhow, it makes me wonder if the actual roadside assistance program might be as poorly administered as their internet presence. Real nice folks but... Thanks.
jor

Re: FMCA vs. Coachnet Road Service

Reply #1
If I'm not mistaken, the actual FMCA roadside assistance service is contracted out to another outfit.  All FMCA does is take yer money.

I remember a thread a while back where this was discussed...

Found it:    Insurance Renewal Time
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
FMCA's program: RV Roadside Assistance - RV Service | FMCA

FMCA RV Roadside Assistance to the Rescue!

FMCA's Roadside Rescue, powered by SafeRide RV Motor Club, will be there when you need it. SafeRide RV provides fully equipped services and valuable benefits to FMCA Members. You can even extend your coverage to additional family members living in your household and add additional passenger vehicles.
Benefits Include:

Towing to the nearest qualified repair center
    Fuel delivery
    Lockout service
    Tire change
    Battery boost
    Tech assistance
    And more!

On that link at the bottom is a matrix of benefits of the major Road Service Plans.  A good comparison, irrespective of which company you go with.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
It's administered by SafeRide RV Motor Club HQ'd in Dallas, TX.
Haven't used them yet but hope springs eternal.
Alan & Gerri Ortiz
1996 U295 36 ft.
"Rocinante"
Hartwell, Georgia
1999 Subaru Forester
Build No. 4957 Motorcader 17399

Reply #4
John, you are on wrong web site with regard to "FMCA road service".  Checkout this web site for FMCA road service:

SafeRide Motor Club – SafeRide Motor Club

We are contracted with Saferide for 3-years of service at the FMCA price.

We have had an RV tow service contract for 20 years and never called for service, and plan to keep it that way. We pay them so we never have to use them.

Reply #5
Thanks to all. Directly to the that site is a better experience. I am easily annoyed by poorly designed websites. Get cranky.
jor

Reply #6
How do you contact SafeRide on the phone to talk about their service? I'm not an FMCA member. In looking to renew our Coachnet 250.00 per yr is  bit pricey. X2 on websites.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #7
We switched to the Escapees road service, which is also SafeRide (I think). Haven't had to use it yet, so can't compare to CoachNet. We were pleased with the service we got from CoachNet, but when it came time to renew last year the price was just too high.

Reply #8
We like CoachNet.  It is more expensive than it was a few years ago.  They have been excellent on the two times we needed some help.  I am pretty sure we are still money ahead.  The FMCA plan also requires you to be an FMCA member. Add that into the cost if money is the primary measure.

Either one or some other.  Be sure you have something or lots of spare change

Reply #9
I don't usually recommend Good Sam's anything simply because I dislike Camping World. However, I have their roadside assistance on both the RV and the personal cars. We got it when we purchased our first RV, I haven't had to use is for the personal cars but have on our previous RV. The service was great the one time we broke down. We were only a few blocks from the house and the tow company came out and reset the computer so we could limp it home. He even came back and fixed it in the driveway when he had time. Per the internet the Platinum is regularly 159.95 but right now they have sale going on for 89.95 per year.
John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Reply #10
My toad towing is covered under it own insurance policy. Coach Net charges $99 a year for just coach coverage. They do not advertise it, you must call and ask for it.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #11
I've had Good Sam, Coachnet, and now FMCA SafeRide. This is in the course of 30+ years. Only had one bad experience, that was GS using a stupid tow operator who incorrectly towed my coach. It got loose and suffered damage that should never have happened. That was when I moved on to CoachNet. I again moved to SafeRide, only because FMCA moved and offered a better rate.

By the way, my only experience with an extended warranty was also with GS, and also bad. I spent more time arguing with them on the phone than the repair facility spent fixing my generator. They really don't like paying claims.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #12
I waffled back and forth on Coachnet, Good Sams and FMCA SafeRide up until our first trip. Finally just pulled the trigger on SafeRide, hopefully I won't need it however it I do I will evaluate their service and annual cost to make a decision at renewal time. 
Bill and Marsha Kuykendall
1999 Foretravel U320 36' CAI
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #13
Tom, when we had our first Foretravel, we purchased GS extended repair policy and experienced the same results!  Had to fight for every nickel and the service centers hated them.  They said they either took forever to pay and then would only pay cents on the dollar!  Never again.  Since we are FMCA members, we will be going with their program.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #14
Bruce,

SafeRide phone #'s

877-834-0405

855-737-0737

877-501-3795

You may get your info from Linda at 3795 number

Reply #15
Curious if anyone has AAA RV Plus coverage and if they have comparisons of cost to other providers.  We have AAA and have used it only once for an RV tow.  They towed us 185 miles (34' Class A with a ATV trailer attached), and when dropping us off at the repair shop, just had to sign the ticket.  We were told the cost would have been close to $3,000 had we not had AAA.

As we just got our FT, was planning on staying with AAA. 

Thoughts ?
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #16
Thanks Barry👍
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #17
FMCA SafeRide FAQ:
Frequently Asked Questions

For those currently enrolled or about to enroll in the program, please note the following numbers:

For administrative and general inquiries please call (877) 581-8581.
For dispatch, please call the number located on your ID card or found in your policy documents, then choose the appropriate prompt:

Prompt 1: Customer Service
Prompt 2: RV Tech Support
Prompt 3: Roadside Assistance
Prompt 4: Mobile Mechanic
Prompt 5: Repair Locator Services
Prompt 6: Concierge Services
Prompt 7: Trip Interruption Claims
Prompt 8: Trip Routing
A pdf of your policy and ID Cards will be available for download on the completion page of your enrollment. Additionally, a copy will be sent to your mailing address via the US Postal Service within 7-10 days. Please allow up to 72 hours for your payment and enrollment to process.

Are my additional vehicles, spouse, and dependents eligible for coverage?

Yes, your tow car and additional vehicles are covered. Owner, spouse or spousal equivalent, and any children under the age of 25 years old living at home or away at school also have their vehicles covered.

Do I have to be a certain number of miles away from my home to use the program?

No, there is no distance from home to use the program.

Is there a limit on the amount of times I can use the service?

No, there is no written number of times you may use the program. Use is unlimited, but if it becomes apparent you are not maintaining your vehicles you could be subject to a rate increase.

How do I know if I have a current plan with SafeRide?

For general inquiries you can call SafeRide directly at (877) 581-8581. You will need to provide your name, address, and FMCA Membership Number.

Am I covered for towing?

Towing is covered to the nearest qualified repair center. If a non-accident related tow is necessary, the customer's disabled vehicle will be taken to the nearest qualified repair facility.

What does "nearest qualified repair shop" mean?

Qualified equates to placing the unit at a repair center that can handle the specific type of repair. In many cases the member has already "pre-qualified" with the location they request it be towed to. If not, you will be towed to the nearest location within the SafeRide RV Motor Club network of authorized repair shops.

Is there an age limit to tow my RV or vehicle?

There is no age limit to have your RV or vehicle towed, as long as the vehicle is able to be moved. There was a 15-year limit at one point, but that has since been removed from the policy.

I own other vehicles besides my RV, is my Pick-up, Harley and if necessary a rental car covered?

Our program covers your RV and every other street legal vehicle you own, rent or borrow.

I'm an Associate Member of FMCA, can I still enroll in Roadside Rescue

Unfortunately this is not available to Associate Members. You must be an RV owner to qualify.

Is the vehicle pulling my 5th-Wheel or Travel Trailer covered?

Yes, both vehicles are covered. If the truck pulling your 5th-Wheel breaks down, for example, both the truck and 5th-Wheel will be moved to the nearest qualified repair center (the trailer may be towed to the nearest campground). If a service center is not available, depending on the time of night, SafeRide RV will make every effort to move you to a safe location.

Is there an instance where my towing vehicle would not be covered under the same policy as my 5th-Wheel or Travel Trailer?

If the pulling vehicle is a Class 6, 7, or 8 Truck then it is NOT covered under the RV's Roadside Rescue policy and therefore would require a 2nd Roadside Rescue policy to be covered.

Reply #18
FMCA SafeRide Plan Details:
Plan Details

Jump Starts
Service is provided to start the customer's weak or dead battery.

Mobile Tire Service
If a spare tire is not available, we will dispatch a mobile tire service company who will mount a like tire. Mobile tire service is not available in all areas. Towing to the nearest qualified tire center will be provided if mobile tire service is not available. You will be responsible for all parts and labor fees.

Vehicle Fluid Delivery
Service is provided to deliver standard vehicle fluids: gas, oil or coolant. Customer pays cost of fluids.

Lockout Assistance
Service is provided to gain entry into customer's vehicle. Customer is responsible for the cost of key cutting parts and labor.

Winch-out Service
Benefits apply as long as the RV can be safely reached from an established, maintained road, thoroughfare, paved street, highway, public or private parking lot. Winch-out coverage also applies when member is attending FMCA events and rallies. Winch-out services do NOT apply if the RV is more than 50 feet from an established, maintained road or thoroughfare, or was intentionally driven off the road, or when your RV cannot be reached safely. Benefit does not apply to recovery work (e.g., RV is down a hillside or embankment) or if the RV has been in an accident. Winch-Out services have a dollar limit of $500.

Coverage for additional vehicles
Customers have coverage for an unlimited number of incidents. However, additional vehicles are only covered by basic roadside assistance. Services such as towing, tire changes, lockouts, jump starts, and fuel deliveries. All other services are for the RV only and your Roadside Rescue plan does not cover you in the event of an accident. "Classic" cars — show cars from the '70s or earlier — are not covered. If the pulling vehicle is a Class 6, 7, or 8 Truck then it is NOT covered under the RV's Roadside Rescue policy and therefore would require a 2nd Roadside Rescue policy to be covered.

RV Technical Assistance Hotline
Get phone access to ASE-certified technicians to assist with first-level instructions and technical diagnosis with basic troubleshooting and common operational issues with your registered RV. Customers must provide the technician with the RV chassis type, year, make, model, a brief description of the issue, and the location of the RV. The member performing technical adjustments or modifications does so at his/her own risk. Use of this benefit is unlimited.

*Service does not cover major repairs that could void a warranty or RVs with prototype or customized parts.

Mobile Mechanic Dispatch Service
In the event of a mechanical breakdown, SafeRide RV Motor Club will assist in arranging the dispatch of a mobile mechanic to the customer's location, if the customer is more than 50 miles from the nearest repair facility. The customer is responsible for all charges related to on-site repairs, including travel fees, parts and labor.

Close the Loop
An exclusive feature of re-contacting the customer within 15 minutes of the scheduled ETA to ensure service has been rendered.

Trip Interruption Benefits
In the event of an RV mechanical breakdown, SafeRide RV Motor Club will reimburse the member up to $300 per day for a maximum of five days ($1,500 total) for lodging and meals when the customer is more than 100 miles from home and the vehicle must be kept for repairs at the licensed repair facility. Member must submit receipts and verification of repairs to SafeRide RV Motor Club for benefit reimbursement. Limited to one incident per 12-month period during enrollment term.

RV Concierge Services
Business locator
Hotel reservations
Car rental reservations
ATM locator
Prescription delivery
RV campground referral
RV storage facility locator
RV personal delivery service
Turn-by-turn driving directions
Traffic reports
Historical site locator
Local activities
Wireless device assistance
Tickets- theater, music, sports
Restaurant referral, reservations
Golf course tee times and referrals
Rental vehicle return
Hotel rebooking during an emergency
Arranging emergency return travel
Guaranteed hotel check-in

Reply #19
SafeRide cost:

Above two posts are from FMCA web site, which also show  cost to be $74/year.

In Febuary 2018, cost was $69/year with maximum sign up for 3-years, which we did by paying $207.

Who knows how good the different contracts are?  They all likely use several common databases of towing companies.  I figure that while they pay the cost of towing, more important to us and everyone else is they know who to call. 

If we did not have a towing contract, when we need a tow or road service, we would not have any idea who to call.  Especially if we urgently need service.

For us peace of mind is knowing who to call, not in the cost. 

Reply #20
Just got a renewal email from Coach Net, if i renew now, $10 discount, so $89 a year for coach towing only.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #21
As I have posted before had good Sams on our SOB coach had blow out on outside duel good Sams up charged us 200 on repair. I would not have known but service man gave me his copy of bill upon finishing repair.  His bill was 290.00 for service and tire (19")
good Sams charged 490.00
When I got home next day had  a "come to Jesus" phone call with them, to their credit they did refund me 190.00 and gave me a year free membership but in meantime I went with AAA but I have been looking at FMCA seriously will probably go with them at renewal, have read good things about it.
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #22
I have an FMCA Roadside Assistance testimonial to share.  Today we went to the storage to take out Carmen's Fiat and it would not start.  We discovered that her alternator was seized and not allowing the engine to turn.  After many failed attempts and  because it was  cold and raining we call Roadside Assistance.  The guy on the other end was very courteous and detailed.  Even after taking our info he kept in touch with us via text to keep us posted on our tow. Our tow arrived within 30-45 minutes.  The tow driver was great.  He came from the next town over that was about 20 minutes away.  They took the car on a flat bed and carried it to where we requested which was Naperville Fiat which was over 53 miles away without any issues or limitations and was not charged for anything. I say the cost of the plan already paid for itself.  If I would of had to pay for the towing it would have been triple the amount of what the plan cost.  A satisfied customer.❤🙂
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #23
Chris, we had AAA on SOB coach and discovered too late when in rural Arkansas that the package sold by your local state is for that state only, since each states AAA is a individually owned entity. Yes there is reciprocity where other states "honor" what the selling state tow package is. But not all states will do this for an RV. The tow distance may be less or your rig not covered at all.
Much better going with one of the RV breakdown companies like FMCA, Good Sam etc
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #24
That comment about AAA being a state by state coverage had me shaking my head as we have car and motorhome coverage thru our BCAA which is an offshoot of your triple A? Now our BC policy does cover us in all states so would derived how/why this happens if what you say is correct.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.