Skip to main content

Topic: Freedom 458 problem (Read 486 times) previous topic - next topic

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Freedom 458 problem
Hooked up a 30 amp recepticle wrong and put hi voltage to the coach.The powerwatch AC meter was pegged out for a few seconds
and the reverse polarity red indicator was on,I unplugged ASAP.Now have 120 volts to the coach,AC meter shows 120...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Freedom 458 problem
Reply #1
John,

By chance did you plug into a 240 VAC outlet?  If so, you may need to open up the inverter/charger and check for the internal fuse.

Said another way, if 120 VAC is reaching the inverter/charger but no charging (and likely no pass through) the...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Long story short, yes,will disconnect every wire from charger and check inside,thanks.

Reply #3
Yes, that happened to me right after I bought the coach in 2008.  Thought I might be buying a new inverter, but I eventually found and replaced the internal fuse, I think it was a type that was wired into the PC board like a resistor.  It also...

Reply #4
Don't know what or how John put high voltage to the coach, but isn't this just where Progressive Industries EMS protection would save our wallet?

We are always at risk for electric voltage issues at every plug-in, and with all the expensive...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Will be taking the Freedom 458 out tomorrow to find the fuse,did have a SSP-50XL ,vacuum still works maybe just blew the fuse.
Was changing a 30 amp recepticle to a different kind and wired it wrong.

Reply #6
John,
30 amp RV service:

ONE HOT, one neutral, one ground.

Reply #7
Give the side of it a hard wack with your fist. May start charging. Does it invert? Those were noted for the charge circuit going out do to a bad board.
Not worth fixing, unless you love it.
I have gotten several of those, and used them for the...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Jerry,do you have the Freedom 458,going to check inside mine in a couple of days,have to live in the coach while moving so need
power.Hope it's just the fuse.Will be getting a surge guard 34951,same price as the progressive but a little better in...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Talked to one of the Zantrex techs,my options are,replace the fuse myself and go from there,send it to them and they will install
a updated board with new relays to update the charger,cost $650,just buy a new Zantrex for about $1000 or get another...

Reply #10
John,

Can you replace the fuse yourself?  That would be my first choice-- or perhaps CAREFULLY bridge across it to see if the inverter/charger then functions.  THEN make your decision. 

If unable to resurrect it, I would probably go with a PSW...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
If I couldn't repair it myself, I wouldn't put much in a 23 year old inverter. I would bite the bullet and replace it with modern technology PSW, and battery charging.

Reply #12
John, what is the "Grace" option? 

If your broken inverter is over 5 years old, it is not a good idea to put big $ into repair, as many components have 'wear' and may fail sooner rather than later.

With the 458 being modified sine wave, NO money...

Reply #13
A new inverter charges the batteries based on temps greatly increasing their life and with a battery management system actually learns your batteries and adjusts the charger to match their actual condition.

Microwave puts out more power on pure...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
A new inverter charges the batteries based on temps greatly increasing their life and with a battery management system actually learns your batteries and adjusts the charger to match their...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Barry,read the posts,Gracerace's option is to keep the 458 and buy a new charger.
Jcus,we have the old ac's,switches on the unit,the 458 I have is from 2006 but is mod sine wave.

Reply #16
https://stellarsolar.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/sp_X22_370_360_d_ac_datasheet_527025_A.pdf

Should work with our magnum pt-100 solar controller.

It was already made for that much power as far as I know.

Newest Victron comttoller is also rated up...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
https://stellarsolar.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/sp_X22_370_360_d_ac_datasheet_527025_A.pdf

Should work with our magnum pt-100 solar controller.

It was already made for that much power as far...

Reply #18
Best hooked up to a Tesla powerwall which can take the 240ac input and put out 7k watts of 110v ac.

With Edison credit can be bootlegged installed and get the credit back and somehow have the Tesla fall off the wall and be caught by the coaches...

Reply #19
Here's the dc version I think. 

https://us.sunpower.com/sites/default/files/sp-x22-370-ds-en-ltr-mc4comp-527787.pdf

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Here's the dc version I think. 

https://us.sunpower.com/sites/default/files/sp-x22-370-ds-en-ltr-mc4comp-527787.pdf

That panel is 60 volts. Problem with Powerwall is that it is a complete unit,...

Reply #21
I now see Grace option is one of us, not a type of charger. Thanks John.

I think that Grace's separating charger and inverter can be a great idea, allowing 120-volt circuits to be powered by a battery powered sine wave inverter, even when plugged...

Reply #22
I now see Grace option is one of us, not a type of charger. Thanks John.

I think that Grace's separating charger and inverter can be a great idea, allowing 120-volt circuits to be powered by a...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
I was suggesting just adding a charger, and leaving the inverter off when not needed, that is if it still inverts. Cheapest way out. Done it a few times, works fine.
I rarely use our inverter....

Reply #24
Can be mounted flat.  6 8d's plus,  takes in 240 volt.  Outputs 110 or 220.  Number ll unit.

$7k.  Plus wall mount and install,  $1,500. 

Utility credit $4,500 here.

Weighs 270 pounds.

-4 f to 110 f.

Liquid temp control.

Ten year warranty with a live...