Skip to main content
Topic: New Fuel Lines Without Removing Fuel Tank (Read 867 times) previous topic - next topic

New Fuel Lines Without Removing Fuel Tank

I just finished putting all new fuel lines in our FT without removing the fuel tank.  Originally we (me and my friend Fred) had planned to remove the tank but it didn't appear to be easy so we merely cut the push-lock fittings off one end of the old hoses and installed them on one end of the new hoses, coupled the fittings together and pulled the new stuff through.  The hardest spots to pull through were where the Great Stuff foam seals each end of the raceway, but with a little foam removal they slid right through.

We could not get the fiberglass tank covers out through the bay doors without cutting about 3/8" off their tops with a whiz-wheel and belt sanding the cut smooth.  All the original push-lock fittings were reused with no leaks, and I did have to remove some slight razor blade scores that happened when I cut the old hoses off, but that only required a little filing and sandpapering.

Total cost was about $300.00 using all Parker Push-Lok hose.

Not having to remove the fuel tank was a Godsent I think.

Re: New Fuel Lines Without Removing Fuel Tank

Reply #1
Sounds like a good job.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
I just finished putting all new fuel lines in our FT without removing the fuel tank.  Originally we (me and my friend Fred) had planned to remove the tank but it didn't appear to be easy so we merely cut the push-lock fittings off one end of the old hoses and installed them on one end of the new hoses, coupled the fittings together and pulled the new stuff through.  The hardest spots to pull through were where the Great Stuff foam seals each end of the raceway, but with a little foam removal they slid right through.

We could not get the fiberglass tank covers out through the bay doors without cutting about 3/8" off their tops with a whiz-wheel and belt sanding the cut smooth.  All the original push-lock fittings were reused with no leaks, and I did have to remove some slight razor blade scores that happened when I cut the old hoses off, but that only required a little filing and sandpapering.

Total cost was about $300.00 using all Parker Push-Lok hose.

Not having to remove the fuel tank was a Godsent I think.

Been running that hose for a few years. No issues.
Good job dude
Chris

P.S. I didn't find removing the tank any big deal. But if you did it with out, awesome.
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
Do you have a Parts list perhaps?  I'll need 4' more line, of course, but I must getter' done, I am sure that will be my next, Oops, if I don't! Thanks!
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #4
5/8"..................30 feet
3/8"..................70 feet
1/2"..................37 feet
1/4"....................3 feet (aquahot burner)

Reply #5
Tom, T-mans is a 36' and yours is a 40' do a search for a 40' before you buy.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #6
T man, trying to really understand what you did with the tank end. Did you leave a piece of the old hoses on that are connected to tank then splice into them ( a short piece of old line)?
If so I was under the impression that most cracks in lines are at the ends of them rather than along the rest of line.
Maybe I am just waking up and do not read your comment correctly, can you explain?
Thanks
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #7
John,

I connected the new hoses onto the old ones and pulled them through, one at a time.

For illustrative purposes;  I cut the fitting off the 5/8" fuel line at the primary filter,
then attached that fitting to the new hose. Then using a male coupler I attached the new hose fitting to the old hose fitting that was originally attached to the fuel tank and just pulled the old hose toward the engine, replacing it with the new hose.

All the hoses have been replaced in their entirety, using all the original fittings.
HTH

Reply #8
John,
I connected the new hoses onto the old ones and pulled them through, one at a time.

All the hoses have been replaced in their entirety, using all the original fittings.

I did mine like this too.  Spent about $6.00 on a brass union and pulled new one through from tank back to engine.  Once I had all parts in went in real quick.  Just needed a tiny mexican  to lay up on propane tank to fasten new ends to tank.

jk
Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #9
Glad it worked out for you. I  didn't find pulling the tank was a problem or particularly hard, but mine was pretty much empty anyway.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
Humm T-Man ....  so is this a must do for a 2003 295 or just a pice of mind?
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #11
Look for small cracks at the fuel line fittings.  The lines closest to the engine are most vulnerable.  You decide. 
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R