Skip to main content
Topic: Magic Chef Oven Problem (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

Magic Chef Oven Problem

The previous owners of this coach might have never used the oven but I tried it and smoke comes into the coach through the rear of the cook top. I had a Magic Chef oven in my 1981 Foretravel and never had this problem. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be?
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Re: Magic Chef Oven Problem

Reply #1
What does the smoke smell like?

Reply #2
Not to familiar with ovens (wife is the baker  :)) )... clean it real good look for an exhaust that might be plugged.. Might need just burned off.. open all windows and put a fan in.. smoke is coming from something burning off.. If smells like electrical then I would look a little closer before I did the above

Reply #3
The slot vent in the back accumulates debris, I vacuumed mine out with the oven off
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #4
The oven vents into the kitchen from the back. No outside exhaust. You are probably just smelling old cobwebs, mice nest whatever. Give it a good cleaning and fire it up. Turn on your kool  a matic and let it burn.  When stink stops bake some chocolate chips cookies makes everything smell good.
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #5
Thanks for all the help. I'll try to find the "slot vent" and clean it out.
1993 U225
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD

Reply #6
It could be improper combustion. Check the oven burner to be sore it is burning all the way around, with a nice blue flame. Sometimes skillets, pots & pans get stored under the burner area and bump the damper open to wide or closed to much. You don't want any yellow flame at the burner as that will cause carbon build (over a long period) and acrid smoke.
1992 FT U240
Vin# 1F96D3362NN054378
Model # G92401236SBIU240
Model # 4012
2007 Toyota FJ
2007 Cadillac
1984 Jeep Cherokee
2008 Polaris Ranger
2018 Polaris Ranger
More cars, pickup, and tractors than anyone 83 years old needs. :)

Reply #7
Thank you RevRick. I'll check that as well.
1993 U225
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD

Reply #8
Does anyone know the gas pressure ratings for correct oven operation, not in manual, and regulator has covers over the assumed adjustment screws mine was acting funky, huge flame that would vary and roll like it was starved for combustion air. Range burners act normal.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #9
Does anyone know the gas pressure ratings for correct oven operation, not in manual, and regulator has covers over the assumed adjustment screws mine was acting funky, huge flame that would vary and roll like it was starved for combustion air. Range burners act normal.
11" water colum on a manometer
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #10
Thanks stump!
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #11

Maybe.  11" water column IS the correct PSI in the propane plumbing TO the stove/oven.

But, that is likely NOT the PSI if it has its own regulator.  Verify with the stove/oven manufacturer.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020