Skip to main content
Topic: Magazine Rack (Read 804 times) previous topic - next topic

Magazine Rack

Lots of these old coaches have a magazine rack and cupholder (with step cover switch) mounted on the wall next to the pax seat. It never has worked well for us. Looking for some ideas for a replacement. Thanks.
jor

Re: Magazine Rack

Reply #1
What part of it that isnt working? What dont you like? what would be better?

Reply #2
what would be better?

Just looking for some ideas of what others may have done. Do my best work by knocking off others' projects!
jor

Reply #4
There is room there for one of the forum cabinet makers to build a nice hardwood "console " and set it in after building. Take some imagination but there are that kind of folks here.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #5
The existing cup holder by the copilot's right knee in our '99 was too small to fit dw's no-spill travel mug. So I made a cup and key holder to fit just in front of the round cylinder. She can now have a water bottle in the oem cup holder and her wide bottom travel mug in the lower holder.

Reply #6
I never much liked the passenger seat side magazine rack.  It is actually too deep for almost any thing we might want to put in it.  It mostly holds the small whisk broom and the fly swatter.  I want something not as deep on the back side of the cabinet between the passenger seat and the kitchen and along the pass side wall under the window.  A place for my tablet, a notebook, the remote controls, a place for pens and pencils, a place for ear buds and a place for unused charge cords. Close to the wall, not too deep, easy in and out.  And cherry of course.  Just one more thing on my list of things to do but a useful and tidy end result.

Reply #7
You are right Roger the factory rack is to deep to put anything small. I keep dash spray in mine and would like something more versatile..What Bob did looks user friendly and looks darn nice as well.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #8
Relating to our existing two dash and single magazine rack shallow cup holders:

Ours work ok when coach is sitting at a campground, but under way, they will not keep a mug in place.

Long ago, we found that a 4" diameter PVC joiner's 3" height could very securely hold a mug in place when motorhome is moving.

We wrapped tape around the bottom to expand the diameter, so it fits tight into the above 3 shallow cup holders.  PVC adapters are only used when driving, and we do remove the two dash shallow cup holder plastic finishing rings when rollling.

We always drive with drinks nearby, so we can recommend this mod to help stay hydrated.

Reply #11
Yes, I have removed a bunch of way off topic posts.

The OP's question is an excellent one and we are already seeing some on-target replies.

Let's keep them coming.

Thanks.

Brett/moderator
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #12
That is one nice cup holder you could stuff wool socks in for insulation keeping that cold drink cold.. gotta have one.
Dub McBride 1996 270