Skip to main content

Topic: Problem toilet (Read 350 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem toilet
We have a leaky toilet.  It is a Traveler, 511 low profile.  I put new gaskets, ball and check valve in it about a month ago.  No leaks at that time, but I have found that the only time it leaks is when one leans forward while sitting on it.  ...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Problem toilet
Reply #1
You might try a new band and clamp. Also you might check and make sure you have the clamp installed correctly.  There is also an alignment tab on the bowl and seal gasket it's easy to let the gasket slip. Never had an issue with my 511. I do a...

Reply #2
Bruce...  The tech took the whole toilet out to his truck and assembled it there.  So it was easy to see how the clamp should be aligned with the "bump" on the back of the bowl.   The clamp pieces seem OK and the toilet did not leak before the...

Reply #3
I was able to fix it.  Another turn on the clamp with a screwdriver took care of the leak!  It seems to need to be tightened until it stops.  Thanks again, Bruce.

Reply #4
I was going to suggest that you stop leaning forward... :D  :D

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
George you can tighten that clamp up pretty snug. They used to publish a torque spec for the clamp. Seems to me it was 40-45 inch pounds.?

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Like they say do what makes you happy but with the money you spent you could have gotten a new toilet from PPL in Houston
with free shipping,Are you sure one or more of the bolts on the base are not broken or loose.Read all the posts and it sounds

Reply #7
John...   Thanks for the suggestion, but the bolts on the base are fine.  There are two joints in the toilet, one between the ceramic bowl and the plastic base and the other between the plastic base and floor fitting.  Thankfully, the latter is...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Might want to consider a simpler design?

Reply #9
As we say in Texas: "THAT AIN'T RITE".

Where is a good tree when you need it?

Reply #10
Might want to consider a simpler design?
You jest, but I carried one of those handy "receiver" thrones in my oilfield service truck for 20 years.  It is certainly more comfortable than squatting...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Knew a guy who did the Squat in the cold,he lowered his coveralls and went right in the hood part,his nickname from then on
was s***head.

Reply #12
Found this one up in the Sierra's while hiking.

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Dave, also happened to a deceased friend who liked to drink a lot of beer when we were snowmobiling. The chili he had for lunch started giving him problems so he stopped to "rectify" the situation. When we came down from the restaurant he was...