Skip to main content
Topic: Problem toilet (Read 628 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem toilet

We have a leaky toilet.  It is a Traveler, 511 low profile.  I put new gaskets, ball and check valve in it about a month ago.  No leaks at that time, but I have found that the only time it leaks is when one leans forward while sitting on it.  This causes it to leak between the bowl and the base.  The bowl is held to the base with a clamp arrangement and this works fine, until the weight on the toilet moves forward.  Then the bowl appears to lift slightly in the back (the clamp is not working as it should).  We had a mobile RV mechanic here yesterday who assembled the toilet and appeared to fix it, but this was before I realized what the problem is (uneven weight on the toilet) 

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated.  We are stuck in Phoenix until we get this fixed. 

George
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Re: Problem toilet

Reply #1
You might try a new band and clamp. Also you might check and make sure you have the clamp installed correctly.  There is also an alignment tab on the bowl and seal gasket it's easy to let the gasket slip. Never had an issue with my 511. I do a rebuild about every year and a half.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #2
Bruce...  The tech took the whole toilet out to his truck and assembled it there.  So it was easy to see how the clamp should be aligned with the "bump" on the back of the bowl.  The clamp pieces seem OK and the toilet did not leak before the gasket rebuild.   
George Hatfield

Reply #3
I was able to fix it.  Another turn on the clamp with a screwdriver took care of the leak!  It seems to need to be tightened until it stops.  Thanks again, Bruce.
George Hatfield

Reply #4
I was going to suggest that you stop leaning forward... :D  :D
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #5
George you can tighten that clamp up pretty snug. They used to publish a torque spec for the clamp. Seems to me it was 40-45 inch pounds.?
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #6
Like they say do what makes you happy but with the money you spent you could have gotten a new toilet from PPL in Houston
with free shipping,Are you sure one or more of the bolts on the base are not broken or loose.Read all the posts and it sounds
like the "toilet tech"removed the toilet from the spot where it was leaking,took it to the "toilet repair truck",fiddled with it and then
puts it back hap hazardly so it leaks worse then when he "fixed" it.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #7
John...  Thanks for the suggestion, but the bolts on the base are fine.  There are two joints in the toilet, one between the ceramic bowl and the plastic base and the other between the plastic base and floor fitting.  Thankfully, the latter is fine and not leaking.  The bolts are fine.  I did replace the gasket at this interface during my rebuild.  The problem was the joint between the bowl and the plastic base.  This is held together with a two-piece clamp and a metal band.  The band just was not tight enough.  No leaks now.  Lesson learned. 

Assembling the toilet like the tech did turn out to be a good idea since it is the best way to line up the clamp.  There is a little "bump" in the ceramic bowl and the two-piece clamp must be lined up with it to get a good seal. This is almost impossible to do with the toilet in place since it is on the back side of the bowl.  Another lesson learned. 

George
George Hatfield

Reply #8
Might want to consider a simpler design?
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #9
As we say in Texas: "THAT AIN'T RITE".

Where is a good tree when you need it?
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #10
Might want to consider a simpler design?
You jest, but I carried one of those handy "receiver" thrones in my oilfield service truck for 20 years.  It is certainly more comfortable than squatting behind a mesquite bush.  Mine had a lip on the underside to which you secured a disposable plastic bag, which was then tossed in the garbage pit when "used".  Simple, efficient, reliable and cheap - a excellent example of practical engineering!
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #11
Knew a guy who did the Squat in the cold,he lowered his coveralls and went right in the hood part,his nickname from then on
was s***head.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
Found this one up in the Sierra's while hiking.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #13
Dave, also happened to a deceased friend who liked to drink a lot of beer when we were snowmobiling. The chili he had for lunch started giving him problems so he stopped to "rectify" the situation. When we came down from the restaurant he was trying to comb the "chili" out of his hair--and the temp was about 5 above zero!!  Looked a little like the Statue of Liberty's crown.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD