Skip to main content

Topic: intermittant RPM spikes at idle? (Read 352 times) previous topic - next topic

• CD
  • [*]
intermittant RPM spikes at idle?
Last fall, after a 20 min drive while parked, in neutral idling the RPM's took off blowing black smoke 30 feet... I shut it down.  checked & tested several times before driving (w/o further incident) directly for service.  Service Center related...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: intermittant RPM spikes at idle?
Reply #1
A quick search of Forum archives does not find a similar situation being reported.  You might have one of the very rare "unique" (to this Forum) malfunctions.  For the benefit of all members, do your best to report on what happened, and what the...

Reply #2
You might try PM'ing John Haygarth, the only forum member I know with a Banks system on a ISC Cummins. He had some wiring repaired at a Cummins shop in the Southwest. I think it had something to do with his Banks system...
Don

Reply #3
There's also the possibility of a turbocharger oil leak.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Yes, Don is correct as we have the Banks system and would not want to be without it.
Now saying that my problem was not with the Banks other than the computer did fail on a few times but that was the 12v feed coming from the engine block to power...

Reply #5
Why would the connector pins break?

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Do not have an answer for that one but they sure we're damaged. I did not expect to see that as I was thinking just bad connections!
The Tech came for a long drive with me when he was doing a computer check of electrical system with it plugged...

Reply #7
Why would the connector pins break?
You really don't want to see what people do to connectors.  Really.  It's ugly.

Reply #8
Force it!