Skip to main content
Topic: intermittant RPM spikes at idle? (Read 589 times) previous topic - next topic

intermittant RPM spikes at idle?

Last fall, after a 20 min drive while parked, in neutral idling the RPM's took off blowing black smoke 30 feet... I shut it down.  checked & tested several times before driving (w/o further incident) directly for service.  Service Center related it was a rub/short condition on two injectors that ran full open....  no damage, no fuel in oil, they "repaired the issue".    Jump ahead to yesterday... getting annual spring wellness check w/ filters and oil change....  while idling after service... it took off again!!! the mechanic, was right there and shut it down immediately. 

They found a lose connection at the Banks electronic unit, and a dried out harness with splices in it that they declined to work on, suggesting a chassis, Cummins, or Foretravel shop perform the work......

Thoughts? Suggestions? Similar issue w/outcome?
CD....
99 U270 8.3L 350 hp
Allison MD3066(R)
Build#5560

Re: intermittant RPM spikes at idle?

Reply #1
A quick search of Forum archives does not find a similar situation being reported.  You might have one of the very rare "unique" (to this Forum) malfunctions.  For the benefit of all members, do your best to report on what happened, and what the final solution is.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
You might try PM'ing John Haygarth, the only forum member I know with a Banks system on a ISC Cummins. He had some wiring repaired at a Cummins shop in the Southwest. I think it had something to do with his Banks system...
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #3
There's also the possibility of a turbocharger oil leak.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #4
Yes, Don is correct as we have the Banks system and would not want to be without it.
Now saying that my problem was not with the Banks other than the computer did fail on a few times but that was the 12v feed coming from the engine block to power the computer and it was a badly corroded wire that just needed replacing which I did.
This corrected it and has not since caused any issues.
We did experience  a race away engine  and it happened 3 times in over a weeks travelling and caused us nearly to have to drive off the road as I was not able to stop the vehicle when in rush hour I 10 traffic while going thru Phoenix.  It took the  Cummins shop a few tries to find the problem and that finally turned out to be an issue with the ECM connection to block. 3 of the brass pins were broken so the  normal 5 volt signal from the accelerator sender was giving false messages to ECM. It caused us scary moments to say the least.
Cummins Rocky Mtn in Avondale Phoenix found it after my suggestions that they remove the fuel filter next to it and take the ecm apart. It was the last place to look after they had replaced the sender and installed a new ECM and all seemed good till the next issue.
This is why I asked them to look  at original one to see if something was amiss. Once they saw the bad pins and fixed new ones there and returned my original one after reinstalling the engine info all has been fine since.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #5
Why would the connector pins break?
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #6
Do not have an answer for that one but they sure we're damaged. I did not expect to see that as I was thinking just bad connections!
The Tech came for a long drive with me when he was doing a computer check of electrical system with it plugged into data port while I drove saw a bad voltage spiking and dropping in the output and input side of the accelerator sensor and as the max voltage is only 5 volts this did not take much to affect the engine running if it lost a few volts. Anyway the  long story (almost 4 days) of in and out service bays and testing finally convinced me that something was obviously wrong with the engine side of ECM.
We decided to leave the coach there as they were so busy and it was going to be a few days before they could get it back in that we drove in the car to friends in Mexico and stay in their CC and pick ours up on way back north. ROCKY Mtn Cummins felt bad about all this so they installed the new lift pump for free that Dave Metzger had sent me as there was now no rush to get it all done.
By the way they also allowed me to be in shop a few times during this diagnosis period which was good for me.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #7
You really don't want to see what people do to connectors.  Really.  It's ugly.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #8