Skip to main content
Topic: Leaving TV in MH for Summer (Read 897 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaving TV in MH for Summer

Is it ok to leave a TV with the electronics for the hot Summer. Sun City West AZ gets plenty hot in the Summer and the coach will not be shaded other than blinds and front window
Take the tv out or take certain measures and leave in place. Thanks
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t
2013 tundra crew cab lift

Re: Leavingi TV in MH for Summer

Reply #1
I'd leave it in. If it is the old tube type TV, not a big loss, and the newer LED TVs aren't all that expensive.
Think about it-- almost all the connections in a TV are soldered together. Does the interior of a coach get hot enough to melt solder? I don't think so.
What I would be careful of is anything you might have stuck up anywhere using sticky backed Velcro or tape. Sure as all get out the adhesive will soften from the heat buildup and then whatever you stuck up will fall.
I always cover this issue by using__what else?-- SHOE GOO!!
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #2
Be sure you leave a couple of open containers of water in the coach. We use a couple of 5 gal buckets about half full.  It helps keep a little moisture in the air, and leave your roof vents cracked open
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #3
I'd leave it in. If it is the old tube type TV, not a big loss, and the newer LED TVs aren't all that expensive.
Think about it-- almost all the connections in a TV are soldered together. Does the interior of a coach get hot enough to melt solder? I don't think so.
What I would be careful of is anything you might have stuck up anywhere using sticky backed Velcro or tape. Sure as all get out the adhesive will soften from the heat buildup and then whatever you stuck up will fall.
I always cover this issue by using__what else?-- SHOE GOO!!
And anything with elastic, like underwear and shocks. They will be toast. Zip ties die too.
CW
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #4
Now that explains why I would put on underwear that I left in the coach and immediately thought I had lost weight!!
Notice that I wasn't brave enough to say that I thought I had put on the DW's underwear by mistake. >:D  :))
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #5
Now that explains why I would put on underwear that I left in the coach and immediately thought I had lost weight!!
Notice that I wasn't brave enough to say that I thought I had put on the DW's underwear by mistake. >:D  :))
Looks like I'm going to put a parental lock on the forum so my kids can't read it any longer. I know this is California but...

:))  :))  :))

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #6
All good comments and learned a lot too
 With some humor thrown in makes for good reading and being informative at the same time!
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t

Reply #7
They don't ship any tv's in a refrigeration truck.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #8
Is it ok to leave a TV with the electronics for the hot Summer.

Take a look at the non-operating/storage specifications in your tv manual or look online. I looked at the specs for a couple of lcd TVs and they were in the range negative 4 degrees to 113 degrees Fahrenheit.

Reply #9
Have you considered covered storage? Going "uphill" to a less intense location?
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #10
Those TV specs are most likely operating environment.  I would just unplug it and not worry.

I would put a few 5 gal buckets filled with water in the coach (maybe the shower) to help things from drying out too much.  When you get back they will probably be dry.  Maybe leave the bathroom vent open an inch or so. 

Probably leave the waste tanks empty and fresh tank nearly full with a couple tbsp of disinfectant (bleach) in the fresh tank as well.  Drain and flush when you return.  Make sure there is water in the toilet bowl.  Cover the bowl with cling wrap (saran wrap) to seal it up as well as you can.

Leave a nearly full fuel tank and treat with a diesel fuel biocide.

Leave the refrig doors propped open a bit.

If it is not plugged in make sure your batteries are fully charged and disconnect the ground cables. If it is plugged in make sure you have a multi-step smart charger on the start batteries.  Leave the inverter/charger on or turn it off and use another smart charger on the house batteries.

If you know someone that can check on it once a month that would be nice.  They can add water to the buckets.

Reply #11
No argument, but from the Samsung website:

"Samsung LCD TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which temperatures range from 50° F to 104° F (10° C to 40° C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your LCD TV.

Samsung LCD TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° Fahrenheit (-20° to 45° Centigrade). Storing your LCD TV at temperatures outside this range can damage your TV."

Reply #12
Those TV specs are most likely operating environment.  I would just unplug it and not worry.

I did the HVAC design for a telcom center for Sprint there "cold aisle" specs we're 83 degrees only because techs would bitch at higher temps. Even before the Dell fresh air servers were introduced that allow up to 113 degree "cold aisle" for xxx hours per year gaurenteed performance. And are tested in a trailer in the desert.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #13
LG LED specs say
Environment condition
• Operating Temperature. 0 °C to 40 °C (32 °F to 104 °F)
• Operating Humidity Less than 80 %
• Storage Temperature. -20 °C to 60 °C (-4 °F to 140 °F)
• Storage Humidity Less than 85 %

Probably depends on the brand and type.  In any case unplug it.

Just getting it under cover would reduce maximum temps considerably.

Reply #14
I store my rv  in covered storage in florida. It's not and humid even covered. I think the tv's are fine . However I would remove the batteries and or the remotes. This would include all remotes and flashlights. Batteries will leak and destroy anything.
1995 U320 40', 2013 chevy sonic toad, my real love are corvettes have owned 30

Reply #15
Funny guy you are
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t

Re: Leaving TV in MH for Summer

Reply #16
Pay for storage that is covered if at all possible
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Re: Leaving TV in MH for Summer

Reply #17
Leave the refrig doors propped open a bit.
Very important. I left the doors closed in our old SOB and everything was green mold the next time I opened the doors.

Conventional batteries will flatten in a couple of months in summer. Go through winter without losing anything. Remember Die Hard ads?

Good tips!

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)