Skip to main content

Topic: Question: possibly purchasing Barry's 2003 U320 (...yeah THE Barry of beamalarm) (Read 1288 times) previous topic - next topic

Question: possibly purchasing Barry's 2003 U320 (...yeah THE Barry of beamalarm)
Hi everyone,

I have spoken with Barry (of beamalarm, though I think just saying Barry is enough in this forum) about possibly purchasing his 2003 U320, but I had a few questions I wanted to ask the community.

I am very aware of the value of his...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Question: possibly purchasing Barry's 2003 U320 (...yeah THE Barry of beamalarm)
Reply #1
Hi everyone,

I have spoken with Barry (of beamalarm, though I think just saying Barry is enough in this forum) about possibly purchasing his 2003 U320, but I had a few questions I wanted to ask...

Re: Question: possibly purchasing Barry's 2003 U320 (...yeah THE Barry of beamalarm)
Reply #2
If I were in the market to buy I would have probably already offered at least $110 k, based upon what I've read about the coach. However, you are at a disadvantage because of needing to finance the coach. If you are seriously interested then...

Reply #3
On an older coach condition and upkeep are the most important thing.  The Blue Book is just a formula for all coaches the ones kept well and those that sit and have never had an upgrade.  They are the same. Only you can tell if you think the...

Reply #4
Don't put too much value in NADA values they have no real basis, they are always way lower than what you can buy a coach for. They do not reflect what people are currently paying for Foretravels.
Motorhomes of Texas is a somewhat indicator of...

Reply #5
It seems to me you have answered your own question. Do as David Osborn suggested.

Reply #6
Adam,

I can understand your concern - paying $100,000+ for anything is a big decision (for most of us "normal" people).  Paying that kind of money to jump into a unknown situation, like owning a large motorhome, is not something to be taken...

Reply #7
Call Jason or Mel at Motorhomes of Texas on Tuesday and they can give you a range of what the coach would sell for on thier lot at retail, but expect the range to be pretty borad based on the condition, upgrades and maintenance history (which is...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Isn't the coach at MOT now?

Reply #9
Isn't the coach at MOT now?
I think this is Barry's. There are a handfull of people on this forum who I'd buy a coach from sight unseen: Barry is ONE OF THEM!

Reply #10
Wow! Thank you everyone for your many responses.

I am currently trying to find ways to finance the coach but to no avail. Close, but not quite there yet.

Barry's coach is still in California and I spent several hours yesterday with Barry just...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I have actually worked on his coach with him when they visited our home. I had a pit so was able to walk under it and others. We repaired/replaced the levelling air valves as others have done and I know Barry and Darlene spent a lot of  money...

Reply #12
I'll offer the same point of view I do for everyone looking to buy a diesel pusher motorhome. First, I won't speak to the question of financing since virtually any vintage coach will be more difficult to finance than a new coach.

Our perspective...

Reply #13
My .02$.   Go to any RV dealer and try to find a new one of the same quality ( and good luck with that).  If it's comparable quality , it'll be WAY more money.
  I would have bought it already if the DW would have let me.   Dang, she always has...

Reply #14
I'd price Barry's coach in the $120K price range. But it's actually priceless. You'll be getting a bargain. A rare gem.

Reply #15
Someone once posted don't buy a coach you can't walk away from if there's a major failure. 15 k seems to be a common figure for newer Cummins or Allison repair. That being said even meticulous maintained systems can and do fail. At that point if...

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Are you going to travel if you buy the rig? Extensively? Once in a great while? One or two times per year?

Or just live in it full time locally versus renting a apartment/house?

I ask because  a diesel pusher sitting long periods of time, not...

• Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:13:20 pm by AC7880

Reply #17
Again, thank you all for all of your wonderful feedback!

John - Barry had mentioned you when we were talking last week. He mentioned your pit and the work you guys did. That is definitely one of the attractions to buying a foretravel, it seems...

• Yetch
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Five years ago I found a 'Cherry' '97 U320 with 116k miles for 40 K plus 5K for tires at MOT.  Over the years I have probably spent 3 to 4 K on upkeep and improvements.  I financed with USAA.  She is paid off.  I would suggest lowering you sights...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Adam, I think I know why Barry has had no luck selling it on the forum and it may be that all the feedback as seen in previous posts is not really about this coach but the personal opinions of a lot of people that they feel should they be in your...

Reply #20
Hi all,

An update just in case you didn't read my other post:

Question about financing older coaches - Page 2

Barry has negotiated a good deal with MOT that I can not compete with so it is no longer something I will be considering. It would have...

Reply #21
Adam...I've been reading for awhile now on your post. Let me give you my story. Three years ago I was offered a 2001 U320 42' tag with two slides for 60,000 bucks. Coach had 31,000 miles on it and person had just dropped 33,000.00 in Oregon on a...

Reply #22
I flew to Laguna Niguel  CA to buy this simple 89 ORED coach, $15k all coach living systems worked when I picked it up. Dash air had to be disabled for the trip home so I ran the generator the whole way home. Climbed Cajon pass and drove across...

Reply #23
There were a few fairly cheap older Grand Villas just a few post back.   If your finances are sound, have a good solid job, Maybe some one here would finance one of those. Much better value VS size and repair cost potential/financial exposure.

I...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
First off.. more expensive isnt always nicer or better... Older Foretravel hold their own... Worth a look...

Banks.. They dont lend to those in need.. they lend to those that have..