Skip to main content

Topic: Question about financing older coaches (Read 1926 times) previous topic - next topic

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Question about financing older coaches
Reply #50
There are plenty of nice older coaches.. The non slide options are roomy also.. .. Interiors on the older ones are nice and they are reasonably priced for frugal buyers.. Some good deals out their.. ^.^d

Yes his was a a great deal but  no go none the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #51
Slides are pointless, especially for one that is boondocking or living in tight quarters. More maintenance too.

A 2000 or older Foretravel without slides can be had for 40-50k +/-, maybe less.

I prefer having the oldest and least flashy looking RV...

Reply #52
I hope it hasn't seemed like I am being defensive...
And I hope you don't think we were being obstructive...

I read all the comments and suggestions made to you in this thread.  I thought they...

Reply #53
Personally, I think your basic plan sounds fine, but it certainly doesn't require the purchase of a $100k coach.  You could spend half that amount and still buy a very nice preowned...

Reply #54
Most everyone likes what they have, including ourselves.

For us and from or experience, agreeing what Krush said about all being similar in many ways, our sweet spot is 1997 through 2000 U270 36'.

Simplicity is our goal with longer length & more...

Reply #55
We all have a 'sweet spot'. When I first started looking for a FT, I narrowed it down to a 36' GV U-240 '93/'94/'95. Took me a year of searching, but I found her!

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #56
Slide no slide , I like them all and may have one of each by years end.. who knows, just having a good bus and having it on a long stretch of good highway is a beautiful thang.

Reply #57
My offer still stands to finance an older coach.   5K down.  

Reply #58
For California residents (& maybe other states, too ??)  we heard that if a vehicle is delivered out of state (Nevada ?) and kept out for a period of time (6-months ?) when it comes back into California, legally there is no sales tax owed upon...

Reply #59
One year.  Used to be 90 days.  Did a lot of out of states back when

Reply #60
Even at 1-year, it still has value for almost/full timers & others.  Gives one an incentive to get their dream going, with a full year of traveling with their new coach. Or if buying while still working, store it in Nevada for a year.

Do other...

Reply #61
Owned a new coach for 10 years with four slides sold it in 2014 for 1/3 of what I paid for it. Deliberately bought a 1995 U320 FT well maintained with no slides. Love it built right when new!

If you pay cash for a Foretravel that is depreciated...

Reply #62
Even at 1-year, it still has value for almost/full timers & others.  Gives one an incentive to get their dream going, with a full year of traveling with their new coach. Or if buying while...

Reply #63
Each state has a "trip permit"  that allows either a one way or round trip use of that states highways for a set fee.

Versus new coaches sales taxes the use of the permits for the then 90 day period is entirely legal.

I had the state of California...

Reply #64
Never rely 100% on what others tell you, that includes me.

Be responsible for your own research thru the governing body (In the case of CA that would be the CA Franchise Tax Board.)  The reason, ultimately  you are responsible for the tax,...

Reply #65
Only answering the original question about financing a older coach. Not only no, but HELL NO. Don't even think about it. Don't do it.
If you can't afford to pay cash in some way, or take a loan from a IRA, or borrow from a rich uncle, or sell...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #66
Only answering the original question about financing a older coach. Not only no, but HELL NO. Don't even think about it. Don't do it.
If you can't afford to pay cash in some way, or take a...

Reply #67
Feel the same about a sticks and bricks?

No David of course not.  Mostly, and historically, a sticks and bricks house, better known as real estate appreciates. Over time it is worth more money than...

Reply #68
Jacks comment about use versus storage may be important depending on your states laws as he posted.

I used to kid the ca customers when it was 90 days to touch the door handle while it was parked.  Storage is a relative term. 

I had my customers...

Reply #69
I'm past 70 and live a pretty good life.   I've always been self employed and I've worked a little harder when I was under the gun somewhat.  Making memories has always been more important to us than having money in the bank. 

I'd never advise...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #70

No David of course not.  Mostly, and historically, a sticks and bricks house, better known as real estate appreciates. Over time it is worth more money than you paid for it, although when...