Skip to main content
Topic: TPMS (Read 1354 times) previous topic - next topic

TPMS

What make of TPMS systems do some folks use? I'm starting to look into a system. Other question is do they interfere with the toad TPMS?
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Re: TPMS

Reply #1
Bruce,
I have the TST 507 series for the coach and towed. The sensors don't seem to interfere with towed at all. It has been basically trouble free for the 6 years or so we have had it. There is also a color monitor available for a little more money that may be more easily readable in bright sun, and I think I will get one to upgrade my system. Only issue with the towed is that you better remove the cap sensors from the car before going through a car wash that has those guide rails installed. I had to replace the valve stem and TPMS on one of the front tires of our Honda because it scraped it right off! :o Maybe not a problem with bigger tires like on your jeep.
507 Series - 6 RV Cap Sensor TPMS System
Don
What make of TPMS systems do some folks use? I'm starting to look into a system. Other question is do they interfere with the toad TPMS?
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #2
I can answer the last question at least for Pressure Pro and the Jeep pressure monitoring system. No interference.  The Pressure Pro senders attach to the outer end of valve stem of the Jeep tires while the Jeep system sender is at the opposite end of the valve stem (inside the tire).

We use Pressure Pro and have for years, but I'm not sure that system, at least the legacy version, is still being sold.

George
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #3
We have a TST 507 as well.  Flow through sensors on the coach, non-flow through on the Jeep.  Since we have had it I have replaced three sensors, the very first versions.  All under warranty.  I have replaced most of the batteries once or twice.  Customer service is great. If I buy any more sensors I think I will just use the cap sensors.  I only adjust air in the coach tires a few times a year.  The rest of the time they are stable.  TPMS is there to alert you when something changes.

Depending on where your monitor is located I think the B/W is easier to see in bright light.  I got a color monitor for the coach after several years and put the b/w monitor in the jeep.  I usually leave it on all the time even when parked. 

Reply #4
I also have trouble reading the color monitor on the TST on a sunny day because of the blue against black.  I have intended to call them but haven't gotten around to it.  Other than that it is great.
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

Reply #5

After a bit of online research I ended up with the EEZTire system (10 non flow-thru sensors).  Use 6 sensors on the coach, 2 on our tow dolly, and 2 on the car's rear wheels.  Wireless works flawlessly even with our 40' coach.  Been running it for 2 years with no problems.  The monitor is easy to program, and big enough to be easy to read going down the road.  It works on DC power cord or rechargeable internal battery, so I can stick it in my pocket and use as a pressure gauge as I walk around the coach adjusting tire pressures.  It responds quickly to changes in air pressure and ambient temperature.

I replaced the batteries on all 10 sensors this past January.  Otherwise, no maintenance or repairs required.

Amazon.com: EEZTire-TPMS Real Time/24x7 Tire Pressure Monitoring System...

Amazon.com: CR1632 Battery– Lithium Button Coin Cell Batteries - 3V 3 Volt -...

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #6
Pressure Pro.  No problems. No interference with toad's built in system (the external sensors do not interfere with the internal ones).
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #7
Lynn wants us to purchase this unit.

Solar Power LCD TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System + 6 External Sensor For...

My response was that I already own a tire pressure gauge. 

My concern is adding weight to the valve stem, and another place for air to leak from the inside of the tire.

Am I concerned about nothing?
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #8
Lynn wants us to purchase this unit.

Solar Power LCD TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System + 6 External Sensor For...

My response was that I already own a tire pressure gauge. 

My concern is adding weight to the valve stem, and another place for air to leak from the inside of the tire.

Am I concerned about nothing?

With that system, you would need two to cover coach and toad, where most others will do all 10 tires in one system.

Never seen that one, so no idea what quality it is.

Leaks on any of the common TPMS's is a non-issue.  Worse case is replace the O ring.

Doubt 1/2 ounce (that is what common TPMS sensors weight) will have much affect on a 22.5" tire/wheel.  But, easy enough to put a 1/2 ounce stick on weight 180 degrees out from the stem/sensor.  Same weight issue with those extenders.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #9
With Centramatics all the way 'round, no worries about adding a teensy bit of weight to wheels!

Reply #10
I'm  happy with my pressure pro pulse_fx system. The sensors work while stopped, so I can check all tires each morning without releasing air. I plugged the black box into an outlet in one of my bays, and it hears all of the sensors without needing a repeater. It communicates via Bluetooth with an app in my phone.

I like it so much that I bought a second black box for the car.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #11
I moved our TST 507 with caps over from the Arctic Fox when we bought the coach.  They are about 6 years old and are starting to display some accuracy issues.  One may be down a pound but another is up three from hand gage. Temps appear to be the same on all when sitting in camp site. 

I replaced the BW with color which has an easier program and tilted provides good resolution.  I did purchase the repeater when I had the BW and the boost covers the towed.  It was installed in the electrical compartment at the foot of the bed.
George and Steph
1997 U270 36 Build 5081 "Honu"
1180w Solar 400A lithium all Victron house system
Motorcade 17670, SKP 128300, FMCA F459019
73 VW Camper, 79 VW Camper, 2363 Sunline, and an Arctic Fox 25P

Reply #12
Another satisfied Pressure Pro customer here. Works great. I have the sensors ready for my Jeep, hope to set those up next week before our trip
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #13
Thanks for all the replies 👍
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #14
After replacing the rear signal booster, my Pressure Pro works very well.
Don Hays

Present; 09 Nimbus CE
Former: 98 U-320

Reply #15
Bruce, have had this company's system since the beginning, got mine same time as Gary O. got his....(after all his research...)

www.tsttruck.com

....great customer service....
1997 U270 36' build #5128
Motorcade #17307
2014 Honda CRV, 2002 Ford Explorer XLT

~The trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.

Reply #16
Pressure Pro for us. We are now using Pressure Pro Pulse.

Pressure may be the only TPMS that always 24/7 displays tire pressure, so ANYTIME while parked or before leaving campsite, dash display shows all motorhome and Jeep tire pressures BEFORE we drive.

We know longer have to use our tire pressure gauge to check every tire before driving off into the sunset.

Reply #18
Our TST system is on all the time, works even while parked.  You can see temperature and pressure change as the sun warms up tires on one side.
Ditto on our EEZTire system - what Roger said.

Reply #19
Thanks Roger, didn't know TST transmits when not rolling.. Good news. Most wheel transmitters shut down conserve battery, and turn on with tire rotation.

Reply #20
I recently purchased a tireminder TM-77 with 10 sensors system.

TireMinder TM-77 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with 6 Transmitters...

I had two sensors malfunction on our first 2400 mile trip. The system also worked perfectly and alerted us to a blowout on the van being pulled on a dolly behind us. I never noticed or felt any difference. I would have gone for many miles before I probably noticed something.  This system probably paid for itself on the first trip.

2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #21
Need to get the TST monitoring system and have a question or two.
It has been suggested that I get the standard sensors rather than the pass thru, which are bigger and slower to air up - are the standard ones easy to remove?
From comments on the forum - the B&W monitor is easier to read in the sunlight?
Does the weight of the monitor on the Towd's wheels put them out of balance ?

Would appreciate your feedback
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #22
Hello Dave,

I cannot answer most of your questions, however, my Pressure Pro non pass through sensors do not weigh enough to throw the toad wheels out of balance. 

I do have one suggestion though, when you purchase your system, buy a sensor for your toad's spare tire.  It is not a tire that would be critical while you are on the road but it is one that is often ignored as to it's pressure. 
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW

Reply #23
1.  are the standard ones easy to remove?
2.  B&W monitor is easier to read in the sunlight?
3.  Does the weight of the monitor on the Towd's wheels put them out of balance ?
My opinions:
1.  Yes - just like removing a plastic valve cap, except a little bigger so easier to get hold of with my fingers.
2.  My B&W monitor is easy to see in all light conditions.  I don't think a color screen would be of any benefit in this application.
3.  I think you mean "weight of the sensor".  Doesn't make any difference that I can feel driving our Sorento.

Note on Question #1:  To make using the non flow through sensors practical on the rear wheels, I think you will need the long valve extensions on the inside wheel.  The extension sticks through one of the holes in the outside wheel, and is "centered" by a rubber insert.  Without the extension, getting the sensor on and off the inside wheel Schrader valve would be (again - in my opinion) very inconvenient.

Some Forum members don't like the extensions.  I've had them in place for about a year with no leaks.  Different strokes...

Page linked below illustrates the concept:

127393 by HALTEC - Stabilizer & Extension Kit: H-2127 (2) + HE-393 (2)

Reply #24
The TST non-flow through sensors have an anti-theft feature that requires a tool for removal. The tool comes with the sensors, but can be hard to use on the outer dually where the valve stem is usually turned towards the axle, and hard to use on the inner dually because of clearance. The anti-theft devices are essentially just an outer shell that spins around independently of the sensor. I finally ended up taking the anti-theft devices off, which is easy to do with a very small Phillips screwdriver. It is still a pain to put the sensor cap back on the outer dually without having it disappear through the holes in the Alcoa wheels between the tires because of the reversed valve stem, but much easier now. When I replace the rear tires, I will have short valve stems put in and have them face out. The only reason I can see to have them face in is if the outer dually were to be rotated to become an inside dually. Not going to happen! On semi-trucks with all steel wheels, or aluminum wheels polished on both sides (unusual, I would guess), it might make sense.
Don
Need to get the TST monitoring system and have a question or two.
It has been suggested that I get the standard sensors rather than the pass thru, which are bigger and slower to air up - are the standard ones easy to remove?
From comments on the forum - the B&W monitor is easier to read in the sunlight?
Does the weight of the monitor on the Towd's wheels put them out of balance ?

Would appreciate your feedback
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson