Skip to main content

Topic: Best way to store when coach is not on a level surface (Read 568 times) previous topic - next topic

Best way to store when coach is not on a level surface
Sunday we'll park the coach for an extended period.   I'll probably take it out once a month for a short spin, say 20-30 miles.  See the attached pic.  Our Jeep GC is parked in what will be our spot.   The storage spot is fairly level, but as you...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Best way to store when coach is not on a level surface
Reply #1
I'm not sure why you would want/need to keep it level while in storage. Is there a particular reason?

Reply #2
Maybe he keeps the refrigerator running if it's not a residential unit.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
The only reason to level it is if you want to leave an rv fridge on. But to your point I always leave the level system on when the coach is stored.

Reply #4
Since the "out of level" is side to side, drive the low side up on 2X6's large enough to completely support the footprint of the tires.

That should get you pretty close, then no need to leave leveling system on.

Reply #5
Another reason for level is if it's too excessive of slope it puts stress on the windshield and it can crack. Been there, done that.

Reply #6
Another reason for level is if it's too excessive of slope it puts stress on the windshield and it can crack. Been there, done that.

If the ground is uneven and the frame is twisted then I can...

Reply #7
Sitting there for a month, it is probably not going to stay level, or in the position that you left it in.  Dump the rear air until both wheels touch the coach then slowly lower the front checking to see which wheel touches first.  put something...

Reply #8
Update...  We have the coach level side to side but not back to front.  See attached.  The ground is a bit lower on the passenger side (about 2" of space above the passenger side tires and no space on the driver's side when leveled).  I figure I...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
I say just turn it off and walk away. It's really doesn't matter if it's not level.
jor

Reply #10
run down to Lowes and get a 8ft 4x4.
Level the coach.
Measure the height between the box beams inside of the airbags where you would normally put safety jacks when your working under the coach.
cut a piece of 4x4 to height.
do this inside of each...

Reply #11
I know that the "twisting" the frame is to be avoided, but just how much is acceptable is the question? 

George

Reply #12
I say just turn it off and walk away. It's really doesn't matter if it's not level
With the newer 'fridges,  it's no big deal anymore. Yes , I have a Camco leveler, but I'm tired of it already. One...

Reply #13
George,

If the ground is flat, don't worry about level if you are not trying to keep an absorption refrigerator going. The twist only comes from a high or low under a wheel.

Reply #14
I'm still curious: Why is it important for the coach to be level? If it's for the absorption refrigerator ooeration then I understand; if not cdc then I have no idea why it needs to be level. Please enlighten me!

Reply #15
Being a gravel surface (fairly large pieces in places), it is not level side to side or front to back.  The out of level is not that much side to side as I described above.  I don't care about front to back level.  What I am concerned about is...

Reply #16
I'm still curious: Why is it important for the coach to be level? If it's for the absorption refrigerator ooeration then I understand; if not cdc then I have no idea why it needs to be level....

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
It is my understanding that our floating windshield gaskets are designed to allow some twisting movement. A side to side slope should not be an issue nor would a front to back. It's still flat, Just not flat to a bubble level.

The twist would be...

Reply #18
I feel greedy.  My x Dealer mechanic fixed my coaches air system 6 years ago.  Never moves after leaving.  Turn off the hwh. 

Reply #19
George, I park and turn off in Travel and not level.  The coach is pretty level as is the site.  It loses air from main air tanks over about two weeks but no relationship I think. 

Idea....if want level, as many said, estimate how much and where...

Reply #20
Had a conversation with my guru buddy today about my post about never moving from whatever position the coach was at after I turn the key off.

He said he had the same conversation with our local Cummins dealer who normally does not want to work on...