Skip to main content
Topic: we're back (Read 724 times) previous topic - next topic

we're back

So took some time away from the forums and the coach. Its been sitting in the driveway, once in a while I go in and say hi. Needs some stuff done to it, like new ac and the generator is not working after I changed the fuel hoses, just need to prime them I think. Anyway wondered if you guys and gals feel the same from time to time, zone out and all....  Work has been the worst in my 45 years of working, and its getting me down. Only 330 days till I can retire. Counting every day it seems. Not much energy left for much else. On my days off I find myself in from of youtube dreaming. Takes me 3 days to recover from a 3 day, 12 hour stretch at work, then its back again. Recently did 6 out of 7 and it near killed me. The company I work for has taken a tough business stance to its employees, and moral is in the pits.
So enough about my issues, but how often do you step away from the coach and forums providing your not full timing it...lol.
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: we're back

Reply #1
I can relate Bob..... you're not in the boat alone.
I take it "one day at a time"
 Hang in there, better days ahead. 
Justin
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #2
Will the world continue to turn if I step away??? Been working 40 years, last year we had a turnaround and I worked 13 on 1 off 12 hour days for 2 months, still had energy to make my way to the end of the internet. I'd miss you guys to much to turn it off.....
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #3
"You can checkout anytime you like, but you can never leave"
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
When you walk out of that coal mine for the last time you will be wide open diesel bus.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #5
Bob, Nobody is taking attendance.  At least I don't think so.  We lived in a 100 year old house that was an endless project.  The only way through is to work on it when your ready and motivated and step back when you are not or have other stuff to do and not worry about it. Welcome back!

Reply #6
Work is overrated. But I figure my generation will end up doing it until we die. "Retirement" will be some funny obsolete word we all heard about when we were younger, lol.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #7
When the Demons come for me, my refuge IS the bus, even if it's just to set in it and wonder.
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #8
Bob,

Retirement does not mean the stress level goes down. Just different challenges/problems.

When down, you just wait until the good times come around again...and they always do. This has been the worst year ever for us with fires everywhere, smoke so thick we had to carry a HEPA filter from room to room, can't leave the dogs home because the roads might be blocked in case of a fire and have to have all the cars pointed out and fueled. Insurance companies are cancelling all around us.

And then there was the endless winter of rain. Rain, rain and more rain. Finally got to work on the coach for a trip in two days but the blow torch summer just turned on in one day. Tired, tired, tired.

So, know what you mean. For years, the terrier has had to go out at least once a night. We are both burned out and the dogs want to go for a walk now.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #9
Don't know if your generator is like ours or a nose installation. You may or may not have a tiny "T" handled valve up high in the injection pipes. I open it and put the start switch in the glow position. This operates the electric fuel pump and with the valve open, it gets rid of all the air in the line after 30 seconds or so. You can also jump the pump to operate it if you would like to run the pump longer but don't want to keep glowing the plugs. Then I usually loosen one of the injector nuts at the injector perhaps just one turn. Then turn it over until fuel comes out of the loose injector fitting and the engine attempts to start. This should do it.

Link to album showing the valve to get rid of the air and the fuel pressure and temperature gauges I added: U300 Generator Gauges, Bleed Valve - Google Photos

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
Bob,
When changing the fuel lines you need to manually put power to the generator fuel pump to prime the system before starting and then the generator will start.  I put a new fuel pump and pre-filter on my generator after the fuel lines were changed.  Using the Mr. Gasket pump from Advance Auto.
John M.

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #11
Join the California Exodus,can get a mansion on 50 acres in the area we moved to for a quarter of your houses' value,leave the hepa
with the house.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
Join the California Exodus,can get a mansion on 50 acres in the area we moved to for a quarter of your houses' value,leave the hepa
with the house.
Thanks John as a lot of factors are driving a lot of folks out of the state but they are more than replaced by others chasing the dream. The stress eventually catches up to a lot of people. The ocean, desert, redwoods and Highway 395 are mesmerizing and suck you in.

We have a lot of time and care invested in building the house ourselves but will head south to Lake Chapala for at least part of the year. So many ex-pats are locating there that the home prices are no longer a bargain like they once were. Will do a post on the area and the new RV park in Ajijic/Chapala after we get back from June Lake.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #13
Good to hear from you again Bob.  Enjoyed meeting you at the Drivers School.  I found the last year before retiring to be the most difficult by far.  But external projects helped the time pass.  You are an expert in the health industry but you also have wonderful skill sets that serve you well in coach ownership.

The key, as you know, is the stress.  Two years out from retirement, from the Air Force, I restored a repossessed Cape Dory that was chained to the dock in Annapolis.  Took it completely apart and recommissioned it.  Blessed sanity in a difficult time.

When I decided to retire from my business, I started looking for a travel vehicle and ended up with my 270.  I knew nothing about anything in motor vehicles and less about a bus.  The coach, my 57 Chevy, has been so valuable for engagement and providing meaningful learning.  I still don't know much but I have at least made campfire lore as what not to do at a couple of Quartzite gatherings.  Even made a topic line here in the Forum for an $8,000 solar array that wasn't.  BUT, there is so much to learn here for any level of expertise.  Most of us get a little burned out at times and step back a bit.  Just watch the urge to withdraw.  You worked your way up in a difficult field and no matter how much you look forward to closure, it was your life's work.  You asked and that's my cut my friend.  Best to Julie, Steph and I look forward to seeing you down the road.
George and Steph
1997 U270 36 Build 5081 "Honu"
1180w Solar 400A lithium all Victron house system
Motorcade 17670, SKP 128300, FMCA F459019
73 VW Camper, 79 VW Camper, 2363 Sunline, and an Arctic Fox 25P

Reply #14
Thanks George. Julie and I both enjoyed our time with you and Steph... although you were not there for most of it we talked about you alot...lol. Restoring a old sailboat sounds pretty good right now, but in reality, I don't have the time,  energy or money to think about it.

Sure we will see  each other on the road one of these days.

Pierce and John thanks for the advice about the generator. I really need to get on that, but keep putting it off. Didn't know about how to turn the fuel pump on. Will have to try that soon. Its getting a bit to hot now to work outside for long. And the mossies are getting bad again too.
We lived in LA for 6 months on a nursing travel assignment working at UCLA. My wife was born in Whittier.  Still have lots of family there. I loved California, and almost moved there, but the cost of living and the traffic said no. I don't regret it at all, and feel for you and the people out there. If it's not fire, its mud slides or earth quakes. Never had a earthquake when living in LA, but when we moved to Seattle, bam there you go.
Just counting the days down and hoping for the best... Think I will start the beast up tomorrow. She's been sitting to long.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired