Skip to main content

Topic: Running in the mountains in the morning  (Read 615 times) previous topic - next topic

Running in the mountains in the morning
Well, I have made it from Florida to Colorado Springs so far with my 2000 U270 with the 8.3 and Allison combo, but I leave in the morning and will be running through Denver on the way to Yellowstone and eventually end in Fairbanks AK where I will...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Running in the mountains in the morning
Reply #1
Also what temps are y'all running during the steep inclines on gauge

Reply #2
I have an ISM11 so it might be a bit different than your engine.  1700 on a long haul up, maybe a bit more.  Coolant temps get to about 190.  Transmission 195.  Maybe 45 mph in 4th.  About the same going down 4th or 5th, one notch of retarder,...

Reply #3
I think we have the same setup (ISC350).  If you don't have Silverleaf, it would be a good investment.  It will give you a digital display of the retarder temp as well as the gear you are actually in.  Both essential when driving in the...

Reply #4
If you are going to be driving in any sort of mountainous area on a regular basis, Silverleaf is a VERY useful tool and will take your driving skills to a whole 'nuther level. Jeff could concentrate on the driving, and I would call out the...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
You have a pretty good load. I'm 31k pulling a 4600lb Jeep. When pulling a steep grade I try to keep about 1800 RPM, and keep temps below 205. In warmer weather you will have trouble keeping temps at 185 pulling hard. Just don't worry about folks...

Reply #6
I find that 1 click on the retarder will raise the retarder temp 10 or so degrees.  2 clicks about 20º.  3 clicks or more the temps will start rising to 250º pretty quick.  So like Roger said 1 or 2 clicks will work best to slow down ahead of...

Reply #7
Our engine has a fuel cutoff at 2130 RPM. Climbing grades, I don't think much about bring it up to that number during normal acceleration or climbing grades. I try to keep RPMs up to at least 2000 on grades as it circulates coolant best at that...

Reply #8
We have 2000 U270 with ISC 350.  From the Cummins data sheet I posted this on our dash. Never failed us last year out west on steepest grades.

Reply #9
My opinion is that almost all motorhomers baby their engines excessively.  If the temp gauges move they are concerned.

Not that they should not be but these are made to be driven hard in a stick shift truck carrying heavy loads.

The dash gauge on...

Reply #10
You have wet liners just like our Detroit. Being smart and conservative is not being afraid of it. No one else is going to pay for a $30,000 overhaul down the road. Overheating damage is cumulative so it may not catch up until thousands of miles...

Reply #11
On my 1999 U270 cummins told me to keep it about 2000 RPMs and downshift manually to keep the RPMs up as well.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
As Pierce said , run it it will not hurt it to work hard. Just keep the RPMS up around 17-1900 and the temps below 210 life will be good. Shift it manually on the hills if you need to. The 320 folks with the M11s are a whole different animal,...

Reply #13
Out of curiosity, what rpm should those of us with the m11 be looking at? Cruising this weekend at 70, the engine was running 1500 rpm.

Larry

Reply #14
M11 should max at 1800 RPM so climbing long grades would seem that 1700 would be a good engine speed for circulating coolant and keeping EGTs down. Just because it will climb the grade at a lower RPM doesn't mean it is the best for the engine. It...

Reply #15
My only comment is when descending a hill, grade, or mountain, when braking is required do not ride the brakes, apply them hard slow your vehicle to a safe speed then completely remove your foot or totally release the brakes. If you ride the...

Reply #16
M11 maxes at 2100 if memory serves me.  I do not know of a m11 here with an EGT  gauge. 

Stock it was nearly impossible to "lug" our m11 with the Allison attached.

The trans says not enough torque here so downshift the engine.

Just what was...

Reply #17
Foliver we should be there around the 14-15 of June

Reply #18
Thanks for the info Pierce and Bob. I just keep on learning.

Larry

Reply #19
Does anyone "mist" their radiator for better cooling? Thoughts on that?  

Wantabe
1986 gas Grand Villa

Reply #20
Wantabe,

I would consider that a technique of last resort.

You would have to use distilled water or the radiator (and CAC on a diesel) would quickly become mineral encrusted. Rust would also be an issue.

I would systematically go through the rest...

Reply #21
I drive in the mountains all the time and I don't use brakes when descending unless I am in too high a gear and then brake just
long enough to get into a lower gear so the engine brake will hold.

Reply #22
I drive in the mountains all the time and I don't use brakes when descending unless I am in too high a gear and then brake just
long enough to get into a lower gear so the engine brake will hold.

Reply #23
Came down Sherwin Grade to Bishop yesterday. Think it is 8 miles long. Stayed in high gear (4th)  all the way. I don't like to exceed 55 downhill on a grade with curves so I used 5 seconds of service brakes 3 times on the way down. Jake Brake is...