Skip to main content

Topic: Battery related assistance (Read 709 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery related assistance
I'm trying to get to the bottom of some issues I am having with my father-in-law's 1990 Grand Villa. (3208 Cat) I can't seem to figure out if he wired something wrong or if there's just a problem with a component or several. I've tried following...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Battery related assistance
Reply #1
1. When connected to shore power it doesn't seem to charge the batteries. I can't seem to find where the charger is located to try to diagnose it. The alternator does charge however.
2. The shutoff...

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply! With that description on the charger, I think I might know where it is. I'll also get searching for the isolator. It might be a couple days for me to get back with the results since I don't have a ton of spare time but...

Reply #3
Possible locations for isolator:  on the engine compartment walls, or under the coach behind the driver side rear wheels, or perhaps inside the coach, in the open space at the foot of the bed (lift the mattress platform up to access this space).

Reply #4
If the boost solenoid is left on or is stuck in the closed position then both batteries would be tied together.

Reply #5
The left side battery should be the engine start bat.  The cables point that way.  On my coach , I also have a start bat in the driver side last compartment.  Take a peek in there   . My charger is above the tank dumps. My isolator is  on the...

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
You might have a 12v converter/charger, mine was on the celing in the water bay. After I changed it my battery lasted 5 years. You may want to consider an AGM house battery.

The solinoid in the center of the picture caused me many issues until I...

Reply #7
clean your batteries  /dirt on the battery cases will drain them a little at a time
hope you find  your charger.
larry

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
On our 93 the stock converter was located behind the entry steps and plugged into a 20 amp outlet there. Here's a photo. The black wood is the back of the entry steps.
jor

Reply #9
In our 91 GV with a 3208T CAT, the charger is located on the ceiling of the sewage dump compartment.   The isolator is located in the engine compartment on the lower right side  (rear radiator )  The engine battery is located in the compartment...

Reply #10
OOOPS  ----  Our engine battery is in the last compartment aft on the drivers side.  (got turned around!!)  Have a great day  ----  Fritz

Reply #11
I'm trying to get to the bottom of some issues I am having with my father-in-law's 1990 Grand Villa. (3208 Cat)

Here's what I've been seeing...
1. when connected to shore power it doesn't seem to...

Reply #12
OOps again,  I must be sleep typing!!  Ours is a side radiator, with rear access.  Just returned from a week away,  Just foggy I guess!!  ----  Have a great day  ----  Fritz

Reply #13
My 89  came home with 7 batteries and a dead isolator and abandoned converter in the wet bay. Side radiator model and the engine start battery in the vented port side compartment just aft of the rear wheels make perfect sense adjacent to the...

Reply #14
I ordered that coach new with  2 house batteries in the step and the engine start inside the grille. 

Reply #15
Great to see the electrical diagram!!! My books didn't have that one,  seems very similar for the 86 Grand Villa I have.

My setup is similar to what fkjohns6083 described.  My challenge is cable organization, a great deal of large cables are...

Reply #16
Bob  ----  My cables in the house battery comp't are complex, but well organized.  It all came that way to me, I didn't do anything to them, but I can send you a pic. if that would be of use to you.   ---- Have a great day  ----  Fritz

Reply #17
Ok. Yes, the charger is in the tank dump area. I certainly have seen it there, and knew that it wasn't plugged in, but had no idea it was the battery charger. You can see in the pick that the outlet isn't attached to the ceiling any longer...that...

Reply #18
The isolator test you did checks the diodes.  It may or may not be valid, depending on your multimeter's capability and quality.

How To Test Diodes | Fluke

For a more practical "functional test" of the isolator, go to this post by Brett Wolfe:

best...

Reply #19
Thank you. I'll report back what I find....probably tomorrow night.

Reply #20
Good evening. I think I've run the tests as they were pointed out. See pic for details.

The Isolator is a Powerline PLI-130-2

The alternator is rated at 105 amps.

I also took the time to clean up the connections on the isolator.

Reply #21
Your resting voltage on both batteries shows them about 50% discharged.  See chart below.

The engine OFF readings on the isolator are not encouraging.  You have higher voltage on the center (ALT) post than on either of the outside posts.  Voltage...

• Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:52:23 am by Chuck & Jeannie

Reply #22
Ok. I'll hang tight a bit. I sure appreciate the support this forum gives!

Reply #23
Bob  ----  My cables in the house battery comp't are complex, but well organized.  It all came that way to me, I didn't do anything to them, but I can send you a pic. if that would be of use...

Reply #24
I have chatted with a couple other Forum members about your test results.  We are concerned that the voltage readings you got are not logical.  If you check the voltage at each battery, and then check the battery posts at the isolator, you should...