Skip to main content
Topic: Adhering plywood to Front Cap and MCD Shade Install (Read 779 times) previous topic - next topic

Adhering plywood to Front Cap and MCD Shade Install

I was doing some prep getting ready to install a windshield shade and a couple of dash fans. The MCD shade will mount to that flat piece of plywood in front of the windshield valance. On this coach (270) there are three speakers mounted there. Anyhow, this piece is solidly mounted on the cabinet side but only secured to the front cap with some kind of pliable caulk. The plywood is dry and solid. You can see from the photos that it has dropped down quite a bit. The photos show the black fiberglass front cap and you can see where the plywood originally was seated.

I want to get this mounted correctly before I install the new shade. So here's the question: Should I secure this solidly using, for example, glass or should I emulate what Foretravel did with maybe some 5200 or Lexel? Thanks.
jor

Re: Adhering plywood to Front Cap

Reply #1
Mine was in the same shape I just resealed it,think the old sealer just dried up.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
As you know that's an important structural item.  Had problems with  windshield shifting, reattached this and the dashboard piece with 5200.  No problem since then though have second guessed the choice of 5200.  Lots of stronger adhesives available but wanted some flex.   
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #3
Jor...check my post from prior nose separation.
Broken windshield on our U300

I used West Sytem Six10....works great and very easy to apply no sag.

Hans
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #4
I used West Sytem Six10....works great and very easy to apply no sag.
Hans

That or some of the gap filling hard setting urethanes like PL would be my choice were I redoing it now.  This is a common repair at Foretravel though they remove windshields to clamp. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #5
I ended up bracing the shelf into position, tacking it in three places with fiberglass and shooting Six 10 (thanks Hans) end to end. That baby is not going anywhere.
jor

Reply #6
I was doing some prep getting ready to install a windshield shade and a couple of dash fans. The MCD shade will mount to that flat piece of plywood in front of the windshield valance. On this coach (270) there are three speakers mounted there. Anyhow, this piece is solidly mounted on the cabinet side but only secured to the front cap with some kind of pliable caulk. The plywood is dry and solid. You can see from the photos that it has dropped down quite a bit. The photos show the black fiberglass front cap and you can see where the plywood originally was seated.

I want to get this mounted correctly before I install the new shade. So here's the question: Should I secure this solidly using, for example, glass or should I emulate what Foretravel did with maybe some 5200 or Lexel? Thanks.
jor

Intersting.  On my 2000 U320, it appears they fiberglassed this piece of wood to the front cap.  Looks like you did a great job on the repair!

Will you be detailing the installation of the MCD shades?  This is a project I want to tackle soon.  Have seen how others have made the wedge pieces for each side to allow the shade to slide down and set flat on the front portion of the dash.  Are you planning to do the same?
2000 U320 4010

Reply #7
Will you be detailing the installation of the MCD shades?

Yea, I'll post on it in a few days. I ordered one without the flap. I intend to use it without the wedges but if it's awkward I'll make some up.
jor

Re: Adhering plywood to Front Cap & MCD Shade Install

Reply #8
Will you be detailing the installation of the MCD shades?

I installed a night shade only. Size is 98" x 48". Direction of roll is toward the windshield. I bought the MCD switch.

PREP: I found that the valence shelf was not secured to the front cap. I tacked it with fiberglass and ran a bead of Six 10 end to end. I'm betting most of these old busses have the same issue.

WIRING: The shade requires two 12v wires (one always live and the other only live with the ignition on) and a ground. For the live wires I ran new wires from the distribution panel (in front of pax seat), behind the dash A/C unit and over to the dash area. There I connected to the Foretravel extra wires that run from the dash to the overhead compartment (behind the TV). I also connected one of the extras to the dash ground bar for the ground. Two of these wires (12v and ground) went to the switch and the third (12v switched) went to the shade motor.

SWITCH: I installed the MCD switch in the floor of the compartment just over the driver's head. I cut the hole with a drill motor and keyhole saw. I bought a rocker switch panel from Amazon (Amazon.com: Nilight 90011A 1PCS LED Light Bar Rocker Panel Holder Kit ABS...).

The shade motor has three wires (plus one for programming). Two of the wires connect directly to the switch. 

SHADE: We bought the straight shade without a flap. It touches the dash hump but I don't mind. I thought about building a couple of wedges as others have done but decided against it.
jor

Re: Adhering plywood to Front Cap and MCD Shade Install

Reply #9
I installed a night shade only. Size is 98" x 48". Direction of roll is toward the windshield. I bought the MCD switch.

PREP: I found that the valence shelf was not secured to the front cap. I tacked it with fiberglass and ran a bead of Six 10 end to end. I'm betting most of these old busses have the same issue.

WIRING: The shade requires two 12v wires (one always live and the other only live with the ignition on) and a ground. For the live wires I ran new wires from the distribution panel (in front of pax seat), behind the dash A/C unit and over to the dash area. There I connected to the Foretravel extra wires that run from the dash to the overhead compartment (behind the TV). I also connected one of the extras to the dash ground bar for the ground. Two of these wires (12v and ground) went to the switch and the third (12v switched) went to the shade motor.

SWITCH: I installed the MCD switch in the floor of the compartment just over the driver's head. I cut the hole with a drill motor and keyhole saw. I bought a rocker switch panel from Amazon (Amazon.com: Nilight 90011A 1PCS LED Light Bar Rocker Panel Holder Kit ABS...).

The shade motor has three wires (plus one for programming). Two of the wires connect directly to the switch. 

SHADE: We bought the straight shade without a flap. It touches the dash hump but I don't mind. I thought about building a couple of wedges as others have done but decided against it.
jor

Thanks for the details!  Are you happy with the width?  Looks like it could be an in or two wider on each end?
2000 U320 4010

Reply #10
Are you happy with the width?  Looks like it could be an in or two wider on each end?

Yes. I wanted the shade to be as close to the windshield as possible. It is mounted 2 1/8" forward of the valence and the shade's direction of roll is toward the windshield. This allows the shade to come close to dropping straight over the dash hump. You can pull it back 2" or so and go a little wider to cover more of the sides of the windshield and order it with the shade rolling back toward the interior.
jor

Reply #11
I will eventually put in MCD shades, possibly on all the windows. For the windshield, I want to put in independent day and night shades for each side, which would require a trim piece down the center. Unfortunately, MCD apparently doesn't install split shades in the center anymore, though I have heard that there are authorized installers who can still order them. Be that as it may, there are still a few higher priority items on my project list, so it will have to wait a bit longer... Tys to the rescue! In order not to derail this thread, I will start another thread in the Foretravel Renovations forum.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson