Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 ored cruise control question.  (Read 702 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 ored cruise control question.

After a truck mechanic tried for several months to fix my speedometer he gave up but not after he replaced the trans sending unit.  Well not only that  didn't work. but now the cruise control doesn't work either. and he lost the old sending unit which had some  resistors and capacitors soldered on the end. Now I have a gps speedometer and a diferent sending unit.  Does the old bendix air cruise control need to be wired thru the speedometer to allow the bendix cruise to work?  Thanks again for all the he
lp from this group again.  IF any members ever get around LAKE Almanor  I will sure show them nice camping places beside creeks etc.  thanks again Gerry

Re: 1987 ored cruise control question.

Reply #1
Does the old bendix air cruise control need to be wired thru the speedometer to allow the bendix cruise to work? 
Yes...sorta...  It is not wired thru the speedometer, but it does use the signal from the same "speed sender".  Since my cruise control still works (knock wood) I have never messed with the speed sender.  I have no idea what type sender would be compatible, but I can offer the old Bendix parts manual.  Hopefully it will provide a clue (Page 13) to someone who understands all the technical lingo (not me).  I am also including my own "marked up" copy of the cruise control diagram, showing the changes made by Foretravel to adapt the air throttle into the operation.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
Page 13 of the manual Chuck posted shows specs for the speed sensor your Bendix air cruise control needs.

Thanks, Chuck.  I have a hard copy at home, but did not have it electronically.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
I found two online listings for the OEM speed sensor.  I seriously doubt either supplier would actually have it in stock, but I may be wrong.

The list prices are rather breathtaking!   :o

102622 by BENDIX - SENSOR ASM

https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/060-102622.html

Reply #4
Might find some useful info on the speed sender over at the WanderLodge Forum.  Some of the Bluebirds use the same Bendix cruise control setup.  Nice bunch of guys over there, and lots of valuable knowledge in that group.  One pertinent thread linked below.

I find it interesting to see that their coaches use copper tubing for most of the air lines.  Better than plastic?  IDK

Bendix Cruise Control and Throttle control?? - Wanderlodge Owners Group

Reply #5
To make everything work, there is a pencil gear that drives the speed generators on the tranny you probably need to replace. That's where your mechanic failed to look. The generators operate both the speedometer and the cruise control. I replace it on my '87.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #6
My cruise control sensor froze up and snapped the pin that drives the gear box which the cruise control sensor and the speedo mini-gen sender are driven by.  I pulled the gear box from the xmition and replaced the drive pin.  I removed the frozen cruise control sensor and just plugged the hole with a pipe plug.  I don't use my cruise control, so I haven't tried to find a replacement.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #7
Thanks again everyone.  Twig I think you are correct.  I removed the mini-gen and I can see a signal just turning the shaft by hand, but with the gen. screwed back on and the output connected to a  voltmeter driving around the block I see no signal.  I can't see into the transmission and am wondering how hard it is to replace the gear in this Allison trans.

Reply #8
You need to pull that gear drive sender at the xmition and check that drive pin.  Yours is doing exactly what mine did.  That drive pin is a square pin about 1/8" square and can snap very easily.  My speedo sender worked well when I spun it with a drill driver, but it was a no-go on a test drive.  If that drive pin is snapped, check your cruise sender and make sure the gear box is lubricated.  I didn't even know there was a zirk fitting on it until I pulled the gear box.  The zirk,(if there is one), is turned so that it is not visible from below.  ----  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #9
Thanks Fritz. did you have to make the pin or were you able to find one?

Reply #10
Jane and Gerry  ----  I was able to get (after a lot of searching) a new drive pin from Steve at Speedometer Service in Scappoose, Ore.  1-800-634-2146 or 1-503-227-7768.  Feel free to call me (1-509-994-7117) if you need to replace that drive pin.  This is not the easiest job around and I can pass on some things learned in so doing.  ----  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #11
Fritz,

It would be great for you to post here a step by step on replacing the drive pin-- seems to come up often enough that a tutorial would be helpful.

Be sure to state exactly what transmission you are working on, as there were several different ones used over the years/different HP configurations.

Thanks.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #12
Brett  ----  Will do, I'll put some thing together and post it.  ----  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #13
I'm going to have some front end work done on the motorhome, about 100 miles from here, so I think I had better wait to start this project.  Fritz you're help is invaluable, I'll be waiting for you're workup and looking for transmissions in wrecking yards that may have the part.  I just bought a bendix cruise control, supposed to be unused, (e-bay) I think I will need the actuator module rheostat. I paid to much for it but did not want to loose it. After I get mine going anything left over (module, valves, hardware, cables etc.)  I can share with another forum member 

Reply #14
Jane and Gerry: The pencil gear is a set of gear teeth pressed on to a shaft. The gears will spin on the shaft thereby making your speedo and cruise fail. After you pull the 2 gens off and their gears, you can't see where the pencil gear comes out but as I recall I used a 9/16 socket where the gens connected and blindly removed it. It's very easy, if that's your problem. There are different pencil gears for that tranny so make sure you count the gear teeth and match it.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #15
I want to thank everyone for all the help on this project.  And I want to send along some information that I gathered. On my particular Bendix speed sensor, the drive tang to the transmission was a little different,  this one is a round male tang with an ear on each end and diameter of .187 inches at one end and .203 at the other.  The other 2 are different.  The Stewart Warner and SS White part numbers that I was able to come up with were old and not in the books, with no cross reference.  With a lot of work and more luck I came up with the old numbers, then a guy from Summit Racing gave me a number for Stewart Warner,  that didn't work out, but from the same number I elected teck support option, for which I believe is a guy that does contract work for them.  In any case call 7175811000,  option teck support and ask for Joe (owner of the company) .  I was having phone problems and could not get the  name of company.  Joe is a no BS guy and is a wealth of knowledge. He had the old part numbers and the parts. Some of the numbers are    S/W drive tang .187/.152  #101.451  S/W .187/.187 #101452  S/W .187/203 #101453  These are all round.  These are square tangs S/W.172/.104 #101454  S/W .172/.150 #428798  S/W .172/.183 #810654 .  The square tang will accommodate a .187 round socket.  I can get the SS White numbers.  Hope this helps someone out