Skip to main content

Topic: 1987 ored cruise control question.  (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 ored cruise control question.
 After a truck mechanic tried for several months to fix my speedometer he gave up but not after he replaced the trans sending unit.  Well not only that  didn't work. but now the cruise control doesn't work either. and he lost the old sending unit...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 1987 ored cruise control question.
Reply #1
Does the old bendix air cruise control need to be wired thru the speedometer to allow the bendix cruise to work? 
Yes...sorta...  It is not wired thru the speedometer, but it does use the...

Reply #2
Page 13 of the manual Chuck posted shows specs for the speed sensor your Bendix air cruise control needs.

Thanks, Chuck.  I have a hard copy at home, but did not have it electronically.

Reply #3
I found two online listings for the OEM speed sensor.  I seriously doubt either supplier would actually have it in stock, but I may be wrong.

The list prices are rather breathtaking!   :o

102622 by BENDIX - SENSOR ASM

Reply #4
Might find some useful info on the speed sender over at the WanderLodge Forum.  Some of the Bluebirds use the same Bendix cruise control setup.  Nice bunch of guys over there, and lots of valuable knowledge in that group.  One pertinent thread...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
To make everything work, there is a pencil gear that drives the speed generators on the tranny you probably need to replace. That's where your mechanic failed to look. The generators operate both the speedometer and the cruise control. I replace...

Reply #6
My cruise control sensor froze up and snapped the pin that drives the gear box which the cruise control sensor and the speedo mini-gen sender are driven by.  I pulled the gear box from the xmition and replaced the drive pin.  I removed the frozen...

Reply #7
Thanks again everyone.  Twig I think you are correct.  I removed the mini-gen and I can see a signal just turning the shaft by hand, but with the gen. screwed back on and the output connected to a  voltmeter driving around the block I see no...

Reply #8
You need to pull that gear drive sender at the xmition and check that drive pin.  Yours is doing exactly what mine did.  That drive pin is a square pin about 1/8" square and can snap very easily.  My speedo sender worked well when I spun it with...

Reply #9
Thanks Fritz. did you have to make the pin or were you able to find one?

Reply #10
Jane and Gerry  ----  I was able to get (after a lot of searching) a new drive pin from Steve at Speedometer Service in Scappoose, Ore.  1-800-634-2146 or 1-503-227-7768.   Feel free to call me (1-509-994-7117) if you need to replace that drive...

Reply #11
Fritz,

It would be great for you to post here a step by step on replacing the drive pin-- seems to come up often enough that a tutorial would be helpful.

Be sure to state exactly what transmission you are working on, as there were several different...

Reply #12
Brett  ----  Will do, I'll put some thing together and post it.  ----  Have a great day  ----  Fritz

Reply #13
I'm going to have some front end work done on the motorhome, about 100 miles from here, so I think I had better wait to start this project.  Fritz you're help is invaluable, I'll be waiting for you're workup and looking for transmissions in...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Jane and Gerry: The pencil gear is a set of gear teeth pressed on to a shaft. The gears will spin on the shaft thereby making your speedo and cruise fail. After you pull the 2 gens off and their gears, you can't see where the pencil gear comes...