Skip to main content
Topic: Ouch, Windshield (Read 1354 times) previous topic - next topic

Ouch, Windshield

Raised the coach yesterday to find an air leak.
I used the raise button and up it went on 3 corners but not the rear passenger side, I had to manually raise that side. This morning went to start buffing the mirror arms and the first thing I see is a crack up the passenger windshield.
That was one expensive leak I found!
Now I got to see if I have a HWH issue
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Re: Ouch, Windshield

Reply #1
Mine does the exact same thing, only the left rear bleeds off first. I have looked and looked for an air leak, I havnt found it yet. I do have the kits to rebuild the 6 packs, which I haven't gotten to yet. It takes about 3 days to bleed down. When I know its going to sit for longer, I dump all the air.
92 Grand Villa
Silver 6v92
 side isle.
build# 3973

Reply #2
Our windshield is not glued in and moves around a lot. When we start to get a draft into the coach while driving, I put a suction cup on it and move it back. I'm afraid to glue it into place. The coach creaks a lot when making a transition onto a lower road or shoulder. Such a poor design that allows such flexing.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
Let's talk about the crack, has anyone used a crack repair service?
1988  40' Grand Villa Cat 3208t

Reply #5
Let's talk about the crack, has anyone used a crack repair service?
after the crack get larger than a dime or quarter.. not fixable as I have read.. I have a 3ft one I would like to patch lol

Reply #6
Got to check the insurance tomorrow, got glass coverage on n my cars!
There is no fixing this crack, in the curve bottom and most of the way to the top.
Going to Nag this November, may save it for then if it holds up.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #7
Our windshield is not glued in and moves around a lot. When we start to get a draft into the coach while driving, I put a suction cup on it and move it back. I'm afraid to glue it into place. The coach creaks a lot when making a transition onto a lower road or shoulder. Such a poor design that allows such flexing.

Pierce
When we had both sides R&R'd by SuperGlass of Tucson. Ours was found to be glued. The Glass guy had a few choice words for folks that glue windows in a design not meant to be glued (because of the flexing) Plus it involved a heck of a lot of scraping, Which was time consuming.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #9
About the crack, this looks interesting    Redding Crackmaster

1988  40' Grand Villa Cat 3208t

Reply #10
Raised the coach yesterday to find an air leak.
I used the raise button and up it went on 3 corners but not the rear passenger side, I had to manually raise that side. This morning went to start buffing the mirror arms and the first thing I see is a crack up the passenger windshield.
That was one expensive leak I found!
Now I got to see if I have a HWH issue
Feel your pain. Did the same last year and broke pass. windshield. Found rear raise solenoid drivers side bad. [electric coil bad] Changed insurance carriers, so only had $500 deductible, so ended up paying about $500 out of pocket.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #11
My glass is floating in a gasket and it may well be 30 years old as some of the edges are cloudy. I had to shoehorn one edge back into place due to flexing I presume and old rubber shrinkage and or stiffness. It's in my barely spent budget but prudently advised $10k surprise coach budget..
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #12
Well apparently this is more common than I thought...I cracked mine from top to bottom the other day when the front passenger bags would not deflate after raising it manually due to uneven spot at campground...that sucks
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #13
Owners of GVs must definitely be aware of what is going on in the windshield area.  If you start hearing a creaking or groaning sound, you are nearing the DANGER point.  Ours makes the noises going up steep driveway entrances and across drainage ditches, especially when approached on a diagonal path.  Our glass moves around a bit, but has only tried to pop out one time in 5 years.  Guess we (and the prior 4 owners) have all been very lucky, because we still have the OEM glass in both sides.  Knock Wood!
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #14
If your windshield "sweats"in cold weather (and most do) put some towels at the base of the windshield to catch the runoff moisture before it goes down behind the dash. Also, do what you can to get the moisture in the coach air out of the coach.
The moisture going down behind the dash will contribute to wood rot and eventually front cap flex and windshield "popout".
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #15
How long is it taking to get a replacement windshield?
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #16
How long is it taking to get a replacement windshield?

You need to tell us where you are to know that.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #17
I'm at FOT. Just had my passenger windshield changed. Took 2 days. 1 afternoon & 1 morning. It was a difficult install. Made appointment last week. The service department is busy but not swamped.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #18
I believe I call Safelite once I arrive in Fairbanks
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #19
My 2cents worth......

I would think a windshield replacement would be cheaper in the lower 48 or Canada, than it would cost in Fairbanks, AK.....??
The selected media item is not currently available.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup
Motorcader  17257

Reply #22
Extreme loves you guys that take your nice coaches to Alaska.
Not me.

Can't tell you how many windshields I did in Liberty Lake. The Ft crowd went to Alaska every summer. Usually I did both sides.A few had their windshields all taped up with clear tape. Didn't work either.

BTW, flat nose coaches get glued in, bullet nose coach's are left to float. Not saying other's haven't done it different, but that was the rule of thumb.

My pass side is cracked from top to bottom in the curve (bad ride height valve in Parker Az.). Doesn't bother me. If I get a new windshield, it will just get a star right in the passengers face. The way it works right?

I have 100% glass coverage. I can get both replaced N/C. Not going to do it. It's a hit on your insurance.

Like I said, as soon as I do them, going to get a star right in the drivers face too.

I love my repaired windshields. They are just rock magnets anyway.

As Bob say's "Drive the value out of them"
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #23
Because new glass is more tender than old glass it appears. Maybe true idk. I do know that glass is not a crystal sructure and is fluid, migrates over time due to gravity. Just a extremely high viscosity. Fun fact for engineers. My 89 glass has some edge fog.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #24
Used to build shields for the front windows on FTX's. Steel  structures with horizontal wooden closed spaced bars that mounted into front hitch receivers.

Can't remember how far up the were but out in front quite a bit. 

Customer came back from Alaska beaming as he did not lose a windshield. 

Clear polycarbonate mounted in front might be legal and work.

Had customers put cardboard cut to size on drivers side tow car windows and tape them on.

Fugly road. It's only money...,,
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4