Skip to main content
Topic: Steering gearbox leak (Read 1558 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering gearbox leak

Well I'm in Glacier National park now and my steering gearbox has sprung a leak from the end cap...what's the best way to get this fixed asap?
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Re: Steering gearbox leak

Reply #1
I would contact these guys and ask for their recommendation for the nearest shop that can R&R the steering box. They are just north of Tacoma WA and are known for quality blueprinting and rebuilding Sheppard M100 steering boxes.

RedHead Steering Gears - Manual & Power Steering Gear Box

Be sure that the shop checks cut angles/steering stops, as going metal to metal on the stops substantially raises hydraulic pressure and materially raises the likelihood of blowing a seal.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
I live near Redhead And have two gearbox cores in my pick-up Pm me if you like
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #3
Terrible timing for sure. Never goes smoothly. I am very mechanical just don't have source local for parts I will call the company listed thank you
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #4
Dang and it is Sunday nobody is open lol. Well might as well go explore
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #5
would be nice if I could replace the seals
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #6
I had mine spring a horrible leak. Luckily across the street was a hydraulics place and I was able to get a union that allowed me to disconnect the hydraulic lines at the steering box and connect them together to bypass the box.    On the highway it wasn't too bad to drive...I avoided parking lots.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #7
Krush that's what I'm talking about...deal with it when I get to Alaska or at least get me to a bigger city
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #8
Anyone got a seal part number?
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #9
Should be a Shepard kit #5545221 or International #2592442C91. I bought one from Rush truck center in Utah and changed that side out in KOA in Salt Lake. Did the side you have without pulling the gear. The other side takes a special puller. Now I don't leave home without either. Rush truck center in Boise (800) 541-3645. You'll need an oring pick.
1994 U280
Build #4451
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking"

Reply #10
Spoke with Darren, think he is going to get going with a seal or seal kit, he will be looking for one in the AM.

I am taking my two cores to RedHead tomorrow AM - I bought one for $500 plus freight from Colaw RV salvage. After I bought the one from the salvage yard, I paid $100 plus freight for the one that was circulating for "free" (the gentleman that sent it too me said that is what he had to pay for it) prior to my buying one from Colaw when I couldn't locate the "free" one. So with the $600 in payments foer the two cores and the $$$ for freight I have almost $900 in these two cores. Sigh.....

I will see what I can work out with Redhead to have a rebuilt M100 PDP1 on the shelf going forward (they can rebuild these in one day - only one of their employees does the M100 "Mr. M100". Was going to do this anyway this week, moved it up to Monday AM in case Darren needs a steering box shipped out tomorrow. I was told at MOT that this M100 PDP1 variant fits all coaches at least in the range of 1995 - 2003 - maybe more. I was also told by Redhead that this (PDP1) is not a common M100 model. Redhead does have other types of Steering boxes they rebuild in much higher volumes and they have cores and exchange programs for those fast moving steering boxes. Just not ours (yet....  :-))

FWIW, here is a link the M100 service manual .pdf that I found online. Certain seals can be changed out without removing the box as outlined in this document.

http://www.hydrosteer.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Mseries-Complete.pdf

I will start a new thread once I figure out what is the outcome of my discussions with Redhead. My box was replaced last month at MOT. took almost all of the "dead spot" in the steering out - is noticeably "stiffer" turning the wheel. Next up, checking front wheel bearings and setting them as tight as the manufacturer allows, or a "skosh" tighter.  Lots of front end parts already put in the coach that were worn, plus a toe in check. Made great progress, trying to get that last little bit out. My OCD tendencies showing.......
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #11
A thanks to you for helping  the forum out.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
This forum is outstanding...and so is Tim thanks for all the help I pulled the end plate off the gearbox and the seal is dried and cracked I noticed the shaft seams to move a little in and out (axial play) Curious if that is normal?
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #13
There has got to be a way to get that seal in Kalispell? Spokane isn't far to deliver one, napa carquest or oreileys. Im thinking you can be back on the road tomorrow afternoon.
92 Grand Villa
Silver 6v92
 side isle.
build# 3973

Reply #14
I'm gonna call around tomorrow morning...nobody was open today.
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #15
If that is the only seal that is leaking, count yourself lucky as it can be replaced without removing the box.  A hydraulic shop should be able to do it.  Or maybe you could do it if you have the tools and can find the correct seal.  I don't know the part number.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #16
My Cummins dealer shop  foreman mentioned that running the fans in high speed constantly would damage the systems parts from long term high heat in the system.

Another reason to update the fan speed controller from the 180 to a 199 unit.

The 180 runs at low speed until 165 then starts going faster.

The other one runs at low speed to 184 then ramps up to full speed at 199.

The thermostats in our coaches do not open fully until 195. 

Foretravels use of the lower setting full speed excessively heats the systems oil which can contribute to system issues in his opinion.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #17
I switched from motor oil to hydraulic oil in my Fan/power steering system.  Hydraulic oil is made for the task and has proper additives. Not saying it will make a difference, but it can't hurt.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #18
As I have said before, changing from the recommended fluid to anything else is something I WOULD NOT CONSIDER.

The engineers at Foretravel speced a specific fluid for a reason.  One would need to delve deeply into all the valving, pump, fan motors and power steering to determine what affect a change would make.  Past my pay grade!
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #19
I switched from motor oil to hydraulic oil in my Fan/power steering system.  Hydraulic oil is made for the task and has proper additives. Not saying it will make a difference, but it can't hurt.
How do you know "it can't hurt"? What research and testing have you done to reach that conclusion?
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #20
Well, I am currently in a shop Fleetpride here in Texarkana. They are trying to find a whole gear box for me. Your data was just passed on to tech here. Hopefully they will be able to source the proper model.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #21
Well I ended up sourcing parts from Finditparts.com as I couldn't get anyone to answer and didn't receive a call back from readhead until this afternoon and I needed the part either way kit delivered overnight is 150 now hopefully it arrives tomorrow
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #22
Well that's an expensive seal but in the grand scheme of things,not bad if you can get back on the road.  Are you familiar with the sheetrock screw method of seal removal?  Recently used it to reseal lower units with deeply recessed, stacked seals.  Worked like a champ. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #23
Hope you have luck with finditparts I did not!!! There address may give a hint

FinditParts
1308 FACTORY PL
APT 112
LOS ANGELES, CA 90013-2256
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #24
Hope you have luck with finditparts I did not!!! There address may give a hint

FinditParts
1308 FACTORY PL
APT 112
LOS ANGELES, CA 90013-2256
I don't know how you wound up with that address, I have bought from them many times without issue.

Heavy Duty Truck Parts Online, Medium Duty, Light Duty - FinditParts
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean