Skip to main content

Topic: Steering gearbox leak (Read 767 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering gearbox leak
Well I'm in Glacier National park now and my steering gearbox has sprung a leak from the end cap...what's the best way to get this fixed asap?

Re: Steering gearbox leak
Reply #1
I would contact these guys and ask for their recommendation for the nearest shop that can R&R the steering box. They are just north of Tacoma WA and are known for quality blueprinting and rebuilding Sheppard M100 steering boxes.

RedHead Steering...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
I live near Redhead And have two gearbox cores in my pick-up Pm me if you like

Reply #3
Terrible timing for sure. Never goes smoothly. I am very mechanical just don't have source local for parts I will call the company listed thank you

Reply #4
Dang and it is Sunday nobody is open lol. Well might as well go explore

Reply #5
would be nice if I could replace the seals

Reply #6
I had mine spring a horrible leak. Luckily across the street was a hydraulics place and I was able to get a union that allowed me to disconnect the hydraulic lines at the steering box and connect them together to bypass the box.    On the highway...

Reply #7
Krush that's what I'm talking about...deal with it when I get to Alaska or at least get me to a bigger city

Reply #8
Anyone got a seal part number?

Reply #9
Should be a Shepard kit #5545221 or International #2592442C91. I bought one from Rush truck center in Utah and changed that side out in KOA in Salt Lake. Did the side you have without pulling the gear. The other side takes a special puller. Now I...

Reply #10
Spoke with Darren, think he is going to get going with a seal or seal kit, he will be looking for one in the AM.

I am taking my two cores to RedHead tomorrow AM - I bought one for $500 plus freight from Colaw RV salvage. After I bought the one...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
A thanks to you for helping  the forum out.

Reply #12
This forum is outstanding...and so is Tim thanks for all the help I pulled the end plate off the gearbox and the seal is dried and cracked I noticed the shaft seams to move a little in and out (axial play) Curious if that is normal?

Reply #13
There has got to be a way to get that seal in Kalispell? Spokane isn't far to deliver one, napa carquest or oreileys. Im thinking you can be back on the road tomorrow afternoon.

Reply #14
I'm gonna call around tomorrow morning...nobody was open today.

Reply #15
If that is the only seal that is leaking, count yourself lucky as it can be replaced without removing the box.  A hydraulic shop should be able to do it.  Or maybe you could do it if you have the tools and can find the correct seal.  I don't know...

Reply #16
My Cummins dealer shop  foreman mentioned that running the fans in high speed constantly would damage the systems parts from long term high heat in the system.

Another reason to update the fan speed controller from the 180 to a 199 unit.

The 180...

Reply #17
I switched from motor oil to hydraulic oil in my Fan/power steering system.  Hydraulic oil is made for the task and has proper additives. Not saying it will make a difference, but it can't hurt.

Reply #18
As I have said before, changing from the recommended fluid to anything else is something I WOULD NOT CONSIDER.

The engineers at Foretravel speced a specific fluid for a reason.  One would need to delve deeply into all the valving, pump, fan...

Reply #19
I switched from motor oil to hydraulic oil in my Fan/power steering system.  Hydraulic oil is made for the task and has proper additives. Not saying it will make a difference, but it can't hurt.
How...

Reply #20
Well, I am currently in a shop Fleetpride here in Texarkana. They are trying to find a whole gear box for me. Your data was just passed on to tech here. Hopefully they will be able to source the proper model.

Reply #21
Well I ended up sourcing parts from Finditparts.com as I couldn't get anyone to answer and didn't receive a call back from readhead until this afternoon and I needed the part either way kit delivered overnight is 150 now hopefully it arrives...

Reply #22
Well that's an expensive seal but in the grand scheme of things,not bad if you can get back on the road.  Are you familiar with the sheetrock screw method of seal removal?  Recently used it to reseal lower units with deeply recessed, stacked...

Reply #23
Hope you have luck with finditparts I did not!!! There address may give a hint

FinditParts
1308 FACTORY PL
APT 112
LOS ANGELES, CA 90013-2256

Reply #24
Hope you have luck with finditparts I did not!!! There address may give a hint

FinditParts
1308 FACTORY PL
APT 112
LOS ANGELES, CA 90013-2256
I don't know how you wound up with that address, I...