Skip to main content
Topic: HWH Autolevel doesn't work (Read 426 times) previous topic - next topic

HWH Autolevel doesn't work

Got the coach out of storage and tried to autolevel when we got it home. The toggle levers light up but the autolevel toggle only flashes. It doesn't actuate the pump motor. I can toggle all the jacks down individually by their seperate toggles.
I can toggle the horizontal/vertical OK and the pump motor runs the jacks.
I rook off the front passenger side grill and started checking all the electrical connections and I found the solenoid mounted on the motor closest to the fluid tank very loose--the two screws holding it on were about three turns loose!!
Can't figure if this is the solenoid that is for autoleveling actuation or not. Anybody know?
The pump, tank, and the solenoids were all new two years ago this coming October--by HWH and at their facility.
Would the solenoid go bad from being loose and the coach sitting all winter inside a storage building?
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Re: HWH Autolevel doesn't work

Reply #1
Hungry mouse?

Reply #2
Nope, nyet, nada. No damage to wiring.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #3
On questions like this, a photo helps a lot with identifying the component.  Also you might mention the HWH Series number of your system.  That would help people like me who know nothing about your leveling system, but still like to do Google searches looking for a possible answer to your question.  I think you are not getting any answers due to small number of members with the same leveling system.

For instance, I found the info sources linked below, but I don't know which system you have, so I can't research any further.

RV Tech Library - HWH Leveling Jack Systems

BASIC HYDRAULICS
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Nothing in the list you posted.
According to the cover of my repair manual we have a 400 Series Paddle Switch HWH Computerized Leveling System.
Four kickdown/swingdown leveling jacks. Nothing else.
Chuck, in the first scanned page, lower left corner is a drawing of the pump motor with two solenoids on the right end of the motor. The solenoid that was loose on our pump motor is the one to your left.
A picture, after removing the front grill, from above because of structure, won't give you any more information than the attached scans.
The pump, pump motor, tank, and both solenoids, along with the wiring on the solenoids, was new less than two years ago at HWH.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #5
OK!  That helps the "armchair technicians" like me.

I assume you have the HWH Service Manual for your system, and have religiously followed the trouble shooting steps in the exact order listed?

Appears to me that your current problem is described under "Repair Steps", Part 9, Paragraph C.

Manual linked below:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml7879.pdf

Reply #6
Skimming through the manual linked above, I see several references to "CHECK THE GROUND WIRES". 

Might verify any ground wires associated with the solenoids are clean and tight?

Reply #7
Yup, checked the ground wires off the solenoids and the motor. All tight but I loosened then, sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner and then retightened them. One nut (13mm) was not real tight so I did tighten it up to standards. Then inside and tried system (after tightening solenoid mounting screws) and still "no joy in Mudville".
The Autolevel toggle light will start flashing after actuation but nothing happens at the motor. I can actuate (and the pump motor and pump work) the leveling jacks using any of the four individual jack toggles, the Horiz/vert toggle but the Autolevel toggle light just keeps flashing. Retract does work with ALL toggles.
Go figure!! I think maybe the solenoid is shot.
Sent an inquiry to Lon at HWH Corp and hoping for an answer.
2006 Saturn Vue AWD