Skip to main content
Topic: Leak in the FreshWater Tank… (Read 499 times) previous topic - next topic

Leak in the FreshWater Tank…

This weekend I decided to clean out the freshwater tank in my 86 Grand Villa, located upfront between the driver and passenger seats. Additionally, I planned on installing a new water level gauge since the original gauge system was ineffective and not operational.

Removing the "dog house" over the water tank I inspected the outside plastic tank and used a wifi type scope to inspect the inside, did this through the front of the tank (under the hood so to say) breather/overflow access tube.  The tank definitely was in need of cleaning!  So I use about a quart of distilled white vinegar, pumping it into the tank through the breather/overflow access port and fill the tank to capacity; and then "giggle" the RV around to mix up the contents... then dump the contents through the drain value next to the pump... step three repeat and rinse...The final drain was through the pump and out the kitchen/bathroom sinks, cleaning the pipes out a bit also.

Desired result would be a semi-clean freshwater tank... It worked however I found a small pin size hole in the tank!  It seemed this leak had been present for many years, maybe twenty, based on the damage I found.

The damage was extensive, the plywood floor under the tank was completely rotted (see below for pic location) and the sidewall next to the leak was also roted!  The only thing holding the tank in place was the two metal beams that run from front to back along the tanks edges, in short it seemed the tank could have dropped out of the bottom of the RV at any moment; saving grace was the tank had been empty for many years from what I could tell.

The pic provide a good view of the damage, I ended up replacing the rotted polywood and using "Flex Tape" on the tank leak to make a patch some three layers over the micro-hole. Prior to my prep for the tape I inspected the tank leak and it seemed a past attempt to repair had failed, they used what seems to be a hot iron to melt plastic into the micro-crack.  The cracks location was at the elbow transitioning from the lower half of the tank (33 gl make) to the upper half of the tank (worth noting that this tank is shaped like an "L" from the side).

After completing the repair of the floor and side plywood, building a drain port (see pics) I reinstalled that tank, reconnected the piping, and filled the tank.  To my suprise the tape worked, so far!!!  I have placed a rolled up paper towel between the tank patch and the plywood side and will reinspect later in the week.  A simple few hours cleaning job turned into a full day of fun of RR...

Will keep you posted on the patch results... Seems the Flex Tape may work afterall.

Best wishes Bob

Photo's posted @ "Media/Albums/Bob Fryer/Leak in the FreshWater Tank..." on the Foretravel Forum
https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=557

1986 Grand Villa
Model: 3600 ORED
Truck Maker: Oshkosh
Truck Model: V-917-2
Engine: 3208-T-250

Re: Leak in the FreshWater Tank…

Reply #1
https://www.facebook.com/ogrenengineering/photos/a.2051630988211580/2051631858211493/?type=3&theater
  I had the same issues.  I remounted the tank directly to the frame instead of hanging it inside the body

Reply #2
Had same problem few years back, fixed it with a hot iron
1988  40' Grand Villa Cat 3208t

Reply #3
Another fix for a small hole is a stainless steel self tapping screw with a rubber washer under a stainless washer.  Works on all sorts of tanks.  Not so well on an aluminum tank, use a aluminum screw and washer on that.

Keith

Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #4
Keith,

Great idea!  The only issue I had was the leak was at a stress point (the corner of the lower and upper part meet) and I didn't think that solution would work... that said I've not outed that type of repair in the flex tape fails... Thanks Bob
1986 Grand Villa
Model: 3600 ORED
Truck Maker: Oshkosh
Truck Model: V-917-2
Engine: 3208-T-250

Reply #5
Keith,

Great idea!  The only issue I had was the leak was at a stress point (the corner of the lower and upper part meet) and I didn't think that solution would work... that said I've not outed that type of repair in the flex tape fails... Thanks Bob

Thank you for the excellent write up and photographs.  Now I know what is inside all that carpet.

FWIW, Harbor Freight sells a hot air plastic welding gun.  I have one for the waste tanks on my old rig.  It's Harbor Freight so it's real easy to break, i.e. burn out the heating element but at Harbor Freight prices you can buy two or maybe three before you equal the cost of a professional hot air welding gun.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.