Skip to main content
Topic: ZEP Hi-Gloss floor finish for exterior gelcoat (Read 894 times) previous topic - next topic

ZEP Hi-Gloss floor finish for exterior gelcoat

Several years ago I was looking for a solution to remedy my low luster gelcoat. I came upon Poly Coat that people sang high praise for. It was brought up that ZEP hi-Gloss floor finish accomplished the same result for much less money.
I bought into the Zep approach. Sand the coach with Bar keepers friend then apply about 10 coats of the Zep.
When I finished I was VERY happy with the gloss finish.
NOW, WHAT A MESS!
The Zep has turned yellow and has a cracking appearance. I tried to use the ZEP finish remover and found it SLOW going.
I turned to a detail shop that WAS going to charge $1500 to sand and buff out the gel coat, the detail guy thought sanding with the 600 grit paper would buzz right through the ZEP finish, NO DICE!
The price is now at $3000 to remove the Zep then sand and buff out the coach, and he doesn't really even want the job.
I'm going to try the ZEP remover and see how successful that will be before I have to bite the bullet and fork over another $1500.

DO NOT make my mistake looking for a EASY way to bring the gelcoat finish back, sand and buff is the ONLY WAY!

If anybody has a tip for the ZEP removal or a chemical that cuts through it, I'm all ears.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Re: ZEP Hi-Gloss floor finish for exterior gelcoat

Reply #1
In the rv biz we called the zep "mop and glow"  good for faded dull coaches if you had no mercy on the new owners.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #2
This guy seems to have it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbrSSXTmW5U

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #3
Have used ZEP products for years professionally.  Good company but wrong application for a floor polish!

Make it easier use a garden sprayer for the remover.

Keith
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #4
Have used ZEP products for years professionally.  Good company but wrong application for a floor polish!

Make it easier use a garden sprayer for the remover.

Keith

With the remover it comes off in a thick layer of sticky goo, like rubber cement. Need a scraper to scrap the sticky sludge off.
I'm using a floor sponge mop and a painting tray to apply, scrape, re-apply. I will then hit it with the pressure washer.
The detailer came over to an area I had done and hit it with 600grit sand paper on a buffer and was able to get through.
He lowered his price $1000. I will gladly pay the extra grand to be done with this nightmare.
1995 U320C SE 40'
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.

Reply #5
Cindy kept our gelcoat looking like new and attached is her writeup.

Reply #6
Lon,
If it were me I would tape off and drape plastic around the entire coach right at the gutter level so you don't get any stripper and wax residue from the roof on the rest of the coach.  This way you can hose off the cleaned sections without affecting any other area.  If you have the side of your coach waxed and looking good the stripper will remove your wax on the sides and streak your finish.  Protect everything you don't want touched by the stripper and removed wax.  The plastic is cheap and save you a lot of other extra work. 
Good Luck!
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #7
My go to plan is now, wet with hot remover, let it sit for a few minutes, hit it hard with the power washer. The ZEP comes off in sheets. Repeat process.
The detailer inspected the area I did and said if I can get the entire coach that way his 600 grit sand paper will handle the rest. He will also go back to his $1500 original fee for the detailing.
I have till next Tue. He will return then for 2 days to hopefully finish.
Luckily I had asked him to detail my wifes car when done with the RV. He was able to do that today, so he was not out a days work.

Lesson, You are never too old to live and learn!
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #8
Lon,

Does your coach have decals, or is it painted?  If decals, will they be OK with this removal process?  Or are you removing everything and going 100% white gel coat?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #9
Sounds like you guys have refined the process.  Good to hear you've got it on the run cause I'm going to be doing the same in the near future....unless you're going into the zep stripping business! :D

Have a question if you don't mind.  How are you making "hot" stripper  and delivering  it? 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #10
I removed almost all the decals a couple years ago. I kept the bottom stripes and the front and rear decals. I have a entire decal set that I planed, at the time to use. After I stripped off the side decals I liked the clean look of no decals as opposed to the dated look with decals, the new decals are still in the box. I could remove the front and rear and replace just those. As a result of this back-up I don't care if the remaining decals get damaged from the stripper.

As far as HOT application. The hot water heater in the RV when set to electric is scalding hot. I dilute the stripper in this hot water and apply.
The pressure washer is your friend!

1995 U320C SE 40'