Skip to main content

Topic: Hydraulic Fan Reservoir (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Hydraulic Fan Reservoir
Just now got home and parked from a 2000 mile trip and found the nut gone off the cap for the hydraulic fan reservoir. The nut has to be in the tank.. My question is, is there a screen between the reservoir and the pump. My concern comes without...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Hydraulic Fan Reservoir
Reply #1
Dub,

As long as the filter stack with large top washer and wing nut are in place, that part will fall on the "outside"/unfiltered area. Totally isolated from the "inside"/filtered area that feeds the pump.

I would remove the lid (two banjo...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Sounds reasonable Bret.. From the picture can you tell what all would have fallen off. Of course I have checked oil level in the past but can't recall what "was" in place under the cap. Wondering when it's safe to stop fishing with the magnet.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
It eases my mind now knowing that the dip stick etc fell to the surrounding portion of the tank outside of the filter area that feeds the pump causing Nothing making it to the pump and that's the main thing. I think I may drain the tank and...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Ordered new filters and dipstick. No need re licking that calf later on with the tank drained now.

Reply #5
Again, my comment ASSUMES that the filter packs are assembled as designed.

And, if going in there anyway, a good idea to replace filters.  So, buy filters and top gasket.

Start by siphoning out the old oil from the "outside".

Then, carefully fish...

Reply #6
Ordered new filters and dipstick. No need re licking that calf later on with the tank drained now.

Why do you need a new dipstick? The old one should be in the canister along with the retaining nut.

Reply #7
Top gasket is under $6, but up to you: Filter gasket kit, 99955A, Fleetguard Cummins

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
10/4 appreciate it.

Reply #9
Wing nut holding filters under more tension than you might think. Even forewarned it slipped out of my hand and landed in tank. Magnet won't help you retrieve it. I would siphon oil, stuff rag around filter and then remove wing nut.

Reply #10
Dub,

I believe on your year coach if you go out and look at the bottom of the tank you will see that the big hose (suction) is on the outside of the filters. The small line (return) is going up the center of the filters.   This is the reason that...

Reply #11
FWIIW, EVERYONE should pull out their hydraulic tank dipstick and increase the damage on the threads on the bottom of the bolt that turns with the cap. Important to not let another nut come off by over-loosening the top cap, which is very easy to...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Yes that's the way the hoses go into the bottom of the tank Mike.I was a bit tired getting in today so I plan to empty the tank in the morning. New filters won't be here until Thursday so I may wait until then.Was a bit nerved when I saw nothing...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Good idea Barry.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Thinking here Mike. The big suction line being on the outside of the filter then the nut or stick could have made its way into the pump could it?

Reply #15
Dub,

Chances are that the parts are laying next to the stand pipe.  When you pull the filters you should be able to reach and retrieve them. You need to make sure that you get all the parts as they can migrate around and get sucked up, causing...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
I aim to do that first thing in the morning. I want my hands on the pieces.

Reply #17
Dub,

After looking at the pic. again it looks like the rubber expansion cap seal is in the drink also.  This would mean you have 2 parts you are fishing for, the dipstick  and the cap seal. The dipstick is also the nut as they are one piece (OEM)

Mike

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
There is a flat rubber "washer type" piece that I may not have taken a picture of. I get all of it fished out I will take a picture tomorrow of every thing I have and post it here.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Ok update on the dipstick that had fell to the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir tank. On my 96 it is designed as Brett thought. The big hose closest to the outside wall of the tank appears to be for return and is not filtered. The center and...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Appreciate you to Mike.