Skip to main content
Topic: Hydraulic Fan Reservoir (Read 725 times) previous topic - next topic

Hydraulic Fan Reservoir

Just now got home and parked from a 2000 mile trip and found the nut gone off the cap for the hydraulic fan reservoir. The nut has to be in the tank.. My question is, is there a screen between the reservoir and the pump. My concern comes without explaining because if the nut goes into the pump it wont be pretty.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Re: Hydraulic Fan Reservoir

Reply #1
Dub,

As long as the filter stack with large top washer and wing nut are in place, that part will fall on the "outside"/unfiltered area. Totally isolated from the "inside"/filtered area that feeds the pump.

I would remove the lid (two banjo fittings/bolts) and use a magnet to "fish" the old parts.  Then replace with new dipstick.

You MAY need a top gasket if  you get any seepage after removing the lid.  Not expensive.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Sounds reasonable Bret.. From the picture can you tell what all would have fallen off. Of course I have checked oil level in the past but can't recall what "was" in place under the cap. Wondering when it's safe to stop fishing with the magnet.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #3
It eases my mind now knowing that the dip stick etc fell to the surrounding portion of the tank outside of the filter area that feeds the pump causing Nothing making it to the pump and that's the main thing. I think I may drain the tank and loosen all 3 bands and tilt the can out a bit to see what pieces are on the bottom. Appreciate you Bret for taking a load off my mind.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #4
Ordered new filters and dipstick. No need re licking that calf later on with the tank drained now.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #5
Again, my comment ASSUMES that the filter packs are assembled as designed.

And, if going in there anyway, a good idea to replace filters.  So, buy filters and top gasket.

Start by siphoning out the old oil from the "outside".

Then, carefully fish out any parts before removing the wing nut, washer and filters.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #6
Ordered new filters and dipstick. No need re licking that calf later on with the tank drained now.

Why do you need a new dipstick? The old one should be in the canister along with the retaining nut.

Also, that gasket can most likely be cleaned up. Mine looked terrible and had rust caked on it, but I found that using a putty knife blade edge I could actually  chip it all away.  When I was done the gasket looked brand new and had no knicks or imperfections.  Whatever that gasket material is.......it's  tough.

Reply #7
Top gasket is under $6, but up to you: Filter gasket kit, 99955A, Fleetguard Cummins
Brett Wolfe

Reply #8
10/4 appreciate it.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #9
Wing nut holding filters under more tension than you might think. Even forewarned it slipped out of my hand and landed in tank. Magnet won't help you retrieve it. I would siphon oil, stuff rag around filter and then remove wing nut.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #10
Dub,

I believe on your year coach if you go out and look at the bottom of the tank you will see that the big hose (suction) is on the outside of the filters. The small line (return) is going up the center of the filters.  This is the reason that the filters 84101B have an armor shield around the outside with holes in it so the filter will stay together under pressure.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #11
FWIIW, EVERYONE should pull out their hydraulic tank dipstick and increase the damage on the threads on the bottom of the bolt that turns with the cap. Important to not let another nut come off by over-loosening the top cap, which is very easy to happen.

Check your dipstick threads. Use a vise grips or something else to damage end threads. And don't keep loosening the cap before pulling out.

Reply #12
Yes that's the way the hoses go into the bottom of the tank Mike.I was a bit tired getting in today so I plan to empty the tank in the morning. New filters won't be here until Thursday so I may wait until then.Was a bit nerved when I saw nothing but the cap left of the dipstick. I don't believe anything made it to the pump or surely I would have known it after running pretty steady last week. Don't guess I ever heard of a dipstick coming apart before but running I 10 across Louisiana can loosen more than that.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #13
Good idea Barry.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #14
Thinking here Mike. The big suction line being on the outside of the filter then the nut or stick could have made its way into the pump could it?
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #15
Dub,

Chances are that the parts are laying next to the stand pipe.  When you pull the filters you should be able to reach and retrieve them. You need to make sure that you get all the parts as they can migrate around and get sucked up, causing lots of pain in the pocket book.
Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #16
I aim to do that first thing in the morning. I want my hands on the pieces.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #17
Dub,

After looking at the pic. again it looks like the rubber expansion cap seal is in the drink also.  This would mean you have 2 parts you are fishing for, the dipstick  and the cap seal. The dipstick is also the nut as they are one piece (OEM)

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #18
There is a flat rubber "washer type" piece that I may not have taken a picture of. I get all of it fished out I will take a picture tomorrow of every thing I have and post it here.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #19
Ok update on the dipstick that had fell to the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir tank. On my 96 it is designed as Brett thought. The big hose closest to the outside wall of the tank appears to be for return and is not filtered. The center and smaller hose is from the filtered area and there seems to have been no way for the stick or rubber washer I found to have ever made its way to the pump and that's a good thing. It was time for the oil and filters to be changed so the stick failure wasn't in vain. Thanks Brett and to others for input.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #20
Appreciate you to Mike.
Dub McBride 1996 270