Skip to main content
Topic: Retarder doesn't work (Read 1082 times) previous topic - next topic

Retarder doesn't work

I have tried to search for my problem and read a lot of the info, but still can't find my problem. My retarder has been working flawlessly ever since I have owned the coach until this last time. I have ordered a tone tracer to help find the wires through the large mass of wires.

1)  No 12V to on/off switch on either side, continuity tests good.
2)  Switch light doesn't come on, replaced blub with known good bulb.
3)  Cleaned contacts on switch, blub, and joystick with contact cleaner and scotchbrite.
4)  Does the switch have power at all times on one side and energize other components or does some thing cause power to  go to switch.

I can't find the contactor that has been talked about in other threads or even know for sure what it looks like.
I hope you can follow my trouble shooting logic.
Thanks for the help

Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
1999 U 295 40 foot Build # 5550
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Re: Retarder doesn't work

Reply #1
Ron,

You need to pull the kick panel off that is right in front of the passengers seat. This action will give you access to the retarder relay. Here is a link to what is hid Nothing happens when I turn the ignition switch It should be on the right hand side of the breaker panel, the 3rd one from the bottom.  This relay should be labeled as retarder. Check here to see if you have power and check the relay for proper operation. The retarder switch should have power when the ignition switch is on as it gets it's power off the buss that is only on when the ignition switch is on.

The power that feeds the retarder relay should come off the #20 breaker (IIRC) that is located in the rows of breakers. I will run out to the barn and double check this location after daylight. I think that this is the breaker that don't have the retarder listed on the B-2197 print. You have to look at the wire numbers to find the breaker.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
Am I the only one who wishes Mike (& Pamela) lived right next door to me?  Sure would be handy if and when I have a problem with my coach.  :thumbsup:
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
I know if I knew where they stayed most of the time I would move there or just install tow plates to my coach and hook on to their tow bar and weld the connections.
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #4
Ron,

I know you have a '99 but it should be close to our '97 as things didn't change much during those years.

We have wire #58 comes off #20 breaker and goes to the retarder relay post # 86. Ours is the 3rd from the bottom.
On the console retarder switch wire #5 also comes from the same #20 breaker.
At the switch # 201 goes back to the retarder relay post #87A.

You should have power at the breaker and post #86 and the console wire #5 when the ignition switch is on. First thing you need to do is find the correct breaker and see if you have power through the breaker when your ignition switch is on. From that point it is just playing dot to dot with a volt meter.

Now to go and put our dash back together. I had to do this as this breaker is the one that the retarder isn't labeled on some of the B-2197 prints.
Hope this is of some guidance.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #5
Thanks Mike I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but hope to this evening or tomorrow.
You are the best
Thanks again
Ron
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #6
Okay Mike and anyone else that can help. here goes,

What and where is the Atec and WTEC-111 interface? It looks like the low voltage on Retarder wire 125 and 163 at the switch is where my problem is. I also changed relays to see if the relay was bad. All the info below is just for reference to help keep you from having to go back outside. This is info with key on engine running and full air pressure. I also referenced wiring diagrams that I have and used for this info.

RELAY ( B-2197)
wire #                Pin#            Voltage                    To-----From                       
Green                30              Ground
Relay201            87A              14.4                            Atec---R3  To RTD sw light &hand RTD brake light                         
Blank                  87                  0                              B20---Retarder 3
Relay125              85                  6                                Atec---R3
Relay5B              86                  14.4                            B20---Retarder 3 (Think this is your #58)

RETARDER SWITCH  ( A-7212)
163                                  5.08                            Atec-----RTD Sw  This goes to RTD enable Wtec-111 interface
161B                                Ground                      Ties to shift, signal, and other grounds in Wtec-111 interface

Assy 5                              14.4                            Retarder Switch Light
201                                                                      Retarder Switch Light                               

Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #7
My retarder light only comes on when the switch is on and the retarder is activated by service brake or retarder joystick. Otherwise the light is off even if the switch is in the on position. Before my retarder was repaired it never lit up. A wire was pinched on the connector at the transmission. I couldn't figure it out so went to Stewart Stephenson in Longview.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #8
Realmccoy
Thanks mine does the same but I am only getting 5-6 volts on a coup;e of the wires and The brake doesnt seem to be working. I may have to take it down to them if I cant fix it my self or find a shop around here to work on it.
Thanks for the info
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #9
Have you gotten this issue resolved? we are having the same problem with our 98 U295 Retard

Reply #10
Tharris
My retarder is working  just not the switch and light or so it seems. I took it to a Allison shop and he told me to drive it and see what codes come up, so far none have showed up. He put it on his computer.  I am getting ready to head out so I will check it out on a longer trip in the hills locally. If he doesn't figure it out I will be making a trip to Longview TX to have it worked on. I have tried tracing wires but I am not even sure what the voltage is suppose to be on all wires. I have two wires that have 6 volts on each but don't know it that is correct or not. It seems odd to me to only have 6 volts on them but???

Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #11
I have two wires that have 6 volts on each but don't know it that is correct or not. It seems odd to me to only have 6 volts on them...
If your voltage reading is correct, then they must be getting the power from a voltage regulator of some kind.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #12
Chuck
The wires that have 5.6-6 volts are
wire number 163A at the retarder switch
wire number 125 at the retarder relay pin 85 at the relay.
the wire to the retarder light (don't remember the number) has 14 volts on it
Thanks for the interest
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #13
Ron.
 Can't help much with the ploblem but thanks much for the proper heading.  Now I can find the discussion if I need to.
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR