Skip to main content

Topic: Retarder doesn't work (Read 590 times) previous topic - next topic

Retarder doesn't work
I have tried to search for my problem and read a lot of the info, but still can't find my problem. My retarder has been working flawlessly ever since I have owned the coach until this last time. I have ordered a tone tracer to help find the wires...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Retarder doesn't work
Reply #1
Ron,

You need to pull the kick panel off that is right in front of the passengers seat. This action will give you access to the retarder relay. Here is a link to what is hid Nothing happens when I turn the ignition switch It should be on the right...

Reply #2
Am I the only one who wishes Mike (& Pamela) lived right next door to me?  Sure would be handy if and when I have a problem with my coach.   :thumbsup:

Reply #3
I know if I knew where they stayed most of the time I would move there or just install tow plates to my coach and hook on to their tow bar and weld the connections.

Reply #4
Ron,

I know you have a '99 but it should be close to our '97 as things didn't change much during those years.

We have wire #58 comes off #20 breaker and goes to the retarder relay post # 86. Ours is the 3rd from the bottom.
On the console retarder...

Reply #5
Thanks Mike I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but hope to this evening or tomorrow.
You are the best
Thanks again
Ron

Reply #6
Okay Mike and anyone else that can help. here goes,

What and where is the Atec and WTEC-111 interface? It looks like the low voltage on Retarder wire 125 and 163 at the switch is where my problem is. I also changed relays to see if the relay was...

Reply #7
My retarder light only comes on when the switch is on and the retarder is activated by service brake or retarder joystick. Otherwise the light is off even if the switch is in the on position. Before my retarder was repaired it never lit up. A...

Reply #8
Realmccoy
Thanks mine does the same but I am only getting 5-6 volts on a coup;e of the wires and The brake doesnt seem to be working. I may have to take it down to them if I cant fix it my self or find a shop around here to work on it.
Thanks for...

Reply #9
Have you gotten this issue resolved? we are having the same problem with our 98 U295 Retard

Reply #10
Tharris
My retarder is working  just not the switch and light or so it seems. I took it to a Allison shop and he told me to drive it and see what codes come up, so far none have showed up. He put it on his computer.  I am getting ready to head out...

Reply #11
I have two wires that have 6 volts on each but don't know it that is correct or not. It seems odd to me to only have 6 volts on them...
If your voltage reading is correct, then they must be getting...

Reply #12
Chuck
The wires that have 5.6-6 volts are
wire number 163A at the retarder switch
wire number 125 at the retarder relay pin 85 at the relay.
the wire to the retarder light (don't remember the number) has 14 volts on it
Thanks for the interest

Reply #13
Ron.
 Can't help much with the ploblem but thanks much for the proper heading.   Now I can find the discussion if I need to.