Skip to main content
Topic: Cutting the countertop (Read 405 times) previous topic - next topic

Cutting the countertop

Supposedly, I have a Corian countertop. The only evidence I have for that is the information on the BeamAlarm site. I have never found a Corian name in the countertop anywhere.

How difficult is it to enlarge the kitchen faucet holes? The new faucet needs larger holes.

Re: Cutting the countertop

Reply #1
Small increase in hole size? Drill attachment with sandpaper.
Large increase in hole size? Stepped drill from HF.
Material comes off like wood dust from same type work. Powder or small flakes.
Hold a light up under the countertop. If you see the a glow looking down from above it is Corian.
Uh, turn on the light first.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #2
Thanks. I just tried the light test and saw a nice yellow glow.

Two of the three holes need to be enlarged about 1/4 inch. The center one, though, has to nearly double.

Reply #3

Two of the three holes need to be enlarged about 1/4 inch. The center one, though, has to nearly double.

You can also plug the hole that needs to be doubled and then you can redrill the right size with a hole saw.
Luke & Sandy (still many work years to go...)
1999 U320 36 Build #5387
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Previous 1997 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour 35WQ major interior remodel
Previous several SOB trailers, Class C, fifth wheels.

Reply #4
For the ones that need to be enlarged by a quarter inch, a step drill that has larger steps can be used by drilling from both directions, since the Corian is ½" thick and the steps on the drills range from about every 1/16" to a quarter inch step increments. The easiest way would be to get two step drills that have a max diameter that matches your respective holes. The larger sizes can get expensive and the largest that Harbor Freight carries is 1 ⅜". Be prepared with a shop vac and a helper to hold the vac nozzle next to the hole or have it rigged with duct tape or a bungie cord.
Don

The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #5
David, get a hole saw the right size that you need and drill a hole through a piece of 3/4 plywood.  Make the plywood big enough so that you can clamp it to the existing countertop.  If you have to do all three make three holes in the plywood spaced appropriately from each other and from the edge of the plywood, same distance away as they are from the wall. Put the plywood up against the wall and clamp it.  If you cannot clamp it use lots of double-stick carpet tape (no foam) and stick it down firmly.

The holes in the plywood will guide the hole saw.  Start slowly with light pressure to make sure you plywood holds.  Once the hole gets started a little more pressure is OK. Let the hole saw do the work.

Reply #6
A Roto-Zip did the work very quickly. Yes, there is some white powder, but it isn't all that much, and I suspect that the vacuum cleaner will take care of it quickly. The new faucet is almost in. I'll add a picture to the album in my ad in the Classifieds this afternoon or evening.

Reply #7
I just replace my kitchen faucet in a Corian countertop in a 1998U 270. Used a step bit from harbor freight as already suggested. Use light pressure as it moves through it quickly. You may need to also drill from the bottom to get a hole with the same diameter all the way down.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.