Skip to main content
Topic: Slide window removal (Read 479 times) previous topic - next topic

Slide window removal

Local landscape maintenance running an edger, caught a rock, shattered my window.

This window is one of the end windows in the slide. These are mounted from the inside, nothing on the outside secures them. They are Creation windows, company is out of business. Billy Jack at FOT is looking but doubt  if any available.

I need to remove the day/nite shade and the inside frame in order to get the exact glass measurements. Was this a Velcro install or? How do I get this glass out? Any special seals for reinstall? Found a place for custom tempered laminated glass so that shouldn't be a problem.

Should I just plan on a trip to XTreme or FOT, or can any competent RV repair shop do the replacement?

Thanks
Mike & Molly Patronick
2001 U320 40'
2011 Forester

Re: Slide window removal

Reply #1
How far away from Nac are you? If you are within a couple of days I'd suggest you just schedule an appointment and have them take care of it. If you can't get an exact replacement you may need something that will require some modifications, and that is probably something that is best left to those who really know what they are doing.

Reply #2
They can easily be removed by taking the inside trim metal off and pushing out on frame. I have had a few of mine out and dual panes removed and resealed. Lots of places to do it depending on size of your town or city. Talk to local glass shop. To get sliders out the frame has to be taken apart at the clips that hold it together. Drill out rivets or take complete thing to the shop. Creation are not available anymore.
John h
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #3
or order from here: 10 - 12 weeks on custom order - call them and they will walk you through the process

Boat Windows, RV Windows Custom Manufacturer | MotionWindows.com
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #4
Check with Xtreme Paint and Graphics. They may have one that was replaced when they did a full body paint. They can also tell you who they use for replacement windows.

Reply #5
I believe that the two end windows in your slide are glued in flat glass.  My FT has wooden trim on the inside that is easily removed by first removing the screws that hold it.  I removed mine in order to get the glass tinted.

I'm thinking that once you remove the trim the remainder of the job removing the glass will be evident.  Once removed then take the broken piece to a glass shop and have them clone it, glue it back in and you're done.

One thing...............make sure to remove the caulk on the outside between the glass and the fiberglass or it will keep you from removing the glass from the inside.  And don't forget to recaulk it after the new glass is in..