Skip to main content
Topic: motorcycle lift  (Read 1626 times) previous topic - next topic

motorcycle lift

On a 2003 U295 36 footer, can you add a motorcycle lift to the back? The bike & lift would be about 1000 pounds behind the engine door. With the bike on the lift I could still tow my 4300 pound car. I'm just not sure if the extra 1000 pounds of hitch weight would make the front end too light & affect the ride & handling in a major way. I know on longer RVs its OK, but has anyone done this to a 36 footer?

Re: motorcycle lift

Reply #1
I think without a tag you will be overweight but I looked at doing it on my 36 320 so the en was heavier.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #2
Recommend you get your coach weighed - see how much weight you presently have on the rear axel.  Adding that extra load (cantilevered out the back) might put you over the rear axel GAWR.

Swapping to a lighter towd would help reduce your GCW (combined weight).  If you plan to travel in the mountains, your coach would thank you.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
We carried a Golding on our 97 U295 on an Overbilt lift with no noticeable change in handling.  Our toad at the time was a Suburban. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #4
Idaho tote would reduce the weight on hitch considerably. It's not just weight, but the momentum arm of that weight as you bounce down the road. The tote has swivel wheels and provisions for hitch for tow bar. Freedom Hauler is a successor product with different steer system. Another option.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #5
Being a biker I have also considered this.
My bike alone weighs about 800 lbs.
Tongue weight is 1000 lbs.
not sure how much a lift weighs but maybe too close to 1000 total.
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH

Reply #6
You might give ForeTravel a call about doing that. I would think the level system would compensate by adding more pressure to the rear bags for an additional 1000 Lbs, and keep the coach level. That what it does on air ride semi.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #7
Bruce,
The air bags would keep it level, but the weight would still be added to the rear axle.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #8
This is in kilograms, but should work in lbs.
How to calculate your motorhome's safe weight limits - Caravan Guard
You will be surprised how much weight is added to the rear axle, when the added load is way behind it.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #9
Never looked into motorcycle lifts.  Don't most of them require extra "outboard" receivers to be welded to the rear frame member?  Surely they don't put all that additional weight and twisting force on just the one central OEM receiver.  :o

Of course, extra receivers would still not change how much weight is added to the rear axel.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #10
Total of three receivers on most I have seen. Cost me $1,100 welding to add.
Never bought the motorcycle lift. Long story...

Tim Fiedler
Gen-Pro.biz
630 240-9139
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #11
Thank you for all your input. I have not got the 36 footer yet, still looking. That size can navigate to our RV parking space in our yard. That is why I am looking at it more than a 38 with tandem axles. Plus I am concerned about the extra weight and complexity. We just sold our smaller motorhome which we had for 17 years. We hope to buy our final motorhome which we intend to travel in all summer starting in 2022. I was hoping to travel with the bike on a lift and car on a tow-bar for portability. I am also considering if an enclosed car-trailer would be better or not. I am concerned about the availability of trailer storage at campgrounds. We enjoyed RVing out west and staying at state and federal parks. We tend to boondock and camp in the wilderness, rather than staying at RV resortes. We have really enjoyed camping in Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Redwoods, Bodie ghost town, by the ocean, and countless other little spots that are hard to get to in a big rig.  So that is where I am coming from, and hoping to do more of. With that in mind I appreciate any advice anyone has in buying the right RV and setting it up for towing the car and bike. Thanks for your advice and insights.  ^.^d

Reply #12
Remember the tow rating on the older U models is 10k pounds. The newer nimbus and Phenix are higher.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #13
You might consider getting a truck that can be towed and put the bike on it. You could stay under the 10,000 lb tow rating that way. And no issue on axle weight that way.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #14
Keep in mind not to block any airflow if it is a rear engine. Even if the air goes in from the side it goes out the back.
1992 U225 36'
Build #4134
1987 Rockwood 32'
Ham radio/Motorcycles and old cars
Both of us are Retired
Married 32 years
Other half is "Old Toolmaker"
Dog named Duke.

Reply #15
Idaho tote would reduce the weight on hitch considerably. It's not just weight, but the momentum arm of that weight as you bounce down the road. The tote has swivel wheels and provisions for hitch for tow bar. Freedom Hauler is a successor product with different steer system. Another option.
Seems a great idea. But boy howdy is that thing expensive. 8 footer is $10K. Oof Duh!
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #16
A 15' wide body tandem axle cargo trailer with drop ramp has worked well for us.  It's the same width as the coach, so when dodging potholes, the trailer misses em too.  Was carrying a street legal high performance side by side, along with a KTM 1290 Super Adventure loaded through side door toward nose.  Couple bicycles.  Spare gear.  You can back it up, unlike a toad.  Everything stays out of sight, locked up and clean.  Workshop with some privacy when vehicles are unloaded.  Tows amazingly well behind our 300 hp 295 as you've already punched a hole in the air and the close coupled trailer of similar shape is in the slipstream.  It's got brakes as standard, so no aux braking system gyrations. Can drop the whole lot in a storage yard without much concern.

If you like keeping a bike immaculate, carrying it on a lift is going to be frustrating.  Putting a cover on it is probably going to abrade some paint.  Engine access is complicated.  Tail lights possibly obscured on coach. For a 650 class beater, sure.  Road glide, probably not.

Probably as close as possible to ideal would be a short stacker trailer.  Lotus 7 down below, aforementioned toys up top.

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #17
Chuck, I'm looking for a wide body 28' so I can haul a side by side and the Jeep Cherokee plus would allow for a workbench in the front.  Just haven't found one within my pay grade!!!
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #18
Chris, pm sent. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #19
I pull a 28' enclosed trailer. Its good for 10,400 max weight, pulls better than my f-350. I just watch the water temp on the hills and the mountains. Im guessing it weighs a little over 9,000lbs.
92 Grand Villa
Silver 6v92
 side isle.
build# 3973

Reply #20
bonus if you boondock, an enclosed trailer has lots of roof real estate available for solar panels. And easily modified to tilt them when parked. Just need a bigger umbilical cord to run both roof a/c's without the genny while traveling.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #22
Thanks everyone for all the info and warnings.  Craneman, your truck idea is a good one that I considered, but my wife did not want a truck. Actually we are selling our 2002 Envoy which we have towed and just ordered a 2019 Lincoln Nautilus with the V-6 so it can be towed 4 wheels down. My bike is a black Honda Fury, which I like to keep clean so a trailer may be the best bet.
bonus if you boondock, an enclosed trailer has lots of roof real estate available for solar panels. And easily modified to tilt them when parked. Just need a bigger umbilical cord to run both roof a/c's without the genny while traveling.
That is an interesting Idea I had not thought of. Has anyone had any problems storing cartralors while camping. Not sure if some state campgrounds would have room for the trailer. I live in Florida but plan to spend our summers in the wild west. The trailer may be the best way to go, I'm just not sure yet. That why I appreciate anyone's tailoring experience both good and bad. Thanks.

Reply #23
Off-topic disussion moved to its own thread in Fire Ring
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

EXCESSIVE WEIGHT ON THE REAR OF THE COACH?

Reply #24
I think that you will find that you would be MUCH BETTER ADVISED to get a high quality trailer (they are out there but you have to look hard) designed to do the job.  In addition, going with the trailer provides a LOT of additional benefits.
I would suggest that you invest in a 24' trailer (or longer, {if you won't spend a lot of time in California} as size does really matter.
I have been pulling a 24' 8.5' wide trailer which has an interior height of 7.5 feet.  The trailer is rated for 12,000# with dual axles.
I pull it usually at its rated limit.  I have been doing that for about 150,000 miles with no structural or operating problems.
I am a boondocker and spend a considerable amount of time in the western deserts and therefore a lot of time off paved roads, in the desert and National Forests, etc..  I have not yet been SKUNKED due to pulling the trailer.  I have been places that most on this forum can not even imagine.  I should write a book..
If you would like more info on this subject, message me with your phone number and we can discuss.
BTW, my trailer hitch weight is around 1600 pounds depending what and how I load.  I do use torsion bars
Regards,
JON TWORK KB8RSA
Full Time RVer (10+ Years) & Dedicated Boondocker
Retired, Unemployed, Homeless Transients
1996 Foretravel U270-36 w/24' Timberwolf Trailer
I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my remaining obligations.
Welcome to WeRV2 (Under Construction)
Find Jon: Via Satellite Tracker Datastorm Users
The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.