Skip to main content

Topic: Shepard M100 PDP1 rebuilds now available from Redhead for EXCHANGE! (Read 1162 times) previous topic - next topic

Shepard M100 PDP1 rebuilds now available from Redhead for EXCHANGE!
In the past, to take advantage of using a Redhead (www.redheadsteeringgears.com) rebuilt M100 steering box, our choices were to remove our steer box and ship it off to Redhead for rebuild (a one to three week total turnaround depending on the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Shepard M100 PDP1 rebuilds now available from Redhead for EXCHANGE!
Reply #1
What an excellent thing to do for our community! Bookmarking this thread... Maybe I will pick one up when we are coming down the coast from BC in the fall. Topic bookmarked! ^.^d
Don

Reply #2
Thanks for putting this all together Tim, much appreciated.

Reply #3
I just talked to Jason at straightline steering in Riverside, ca. 

He rebuilds the shepherds regulatly.  No rebuilds in stock.  4 hour turnaround from time he receives it with advance notice.

$525 plus tax. 

He says that he uses 3 different ball...

Reply #4

Ties  into the high oil heat from the too high oil heat caused by the overly aggressive hydraulic fan controller Foretravel selected.

The hot oil wears the fan motor seals and the steering box...

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Excellent work Tim. Thanks for doing this for the FT community.

Reply #6
If picking up at Redline or Redhead, expect to pay CA or WA tax. Those savings can mitigate some of the freight. They go FedEx ground or UPS ground and weigh close to 100 pounds.
Most of these places have a great negotiated rate to ship since...

Reply #7
Just talked to my local Cummins shop and the service writer mentioned doing a similar coach to mine recently.  Problem child.

Bolt frozen I think on the Pittman arm?  Talked about the tight clearance between the gen enclosure and the box.

They...

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Thanks Tim!  ^.^d  ^.^d  ^.^d  You just earned mega karma level.

see ya
ken

Reply #9
Tom, there are two limit types, automatic and manual. Do you know what RedHead has. Can an automatic be swapped for a manual?

Reply #10
Tim, thank you for going the extra mile for your fellow owners!  Your kindness and expertise is most welcomed and appreciated!

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Thanks Tim for helping out the Foreforums community like this. I already have a readhead box installed or I might consider doing one proactively.

Mark

Reply #12
Tim, that is amazing! We rebuilt ours in 2017; it was our first repair experience on our coach. The wait was a month. The parts cost was way higher than you described. You've done a great service for our community.

Reply #13
About  a week after I purchased the core from Cowlaw's I received a call from the person that had the other circulating M100 core. By now, the core was not free, so I paid the $100 ask price...

Reply #14
I suspect someone along the way was looking for a subsidy for their repair.
Oh well.....I had about $900 in the cores with shipping, got $500 for the two. Core charge from them is higher than that, they want the core back, not the $$. And they...

Reply #15
Having it at Red Head is much better than it being at a members location. I talked to Red Head after Tim posted and they assured me that when I call them in Sept. they will complete a core and ship to me so I can do mine. I do not have the time...

• Beeman
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #16
Having it at Red Head is much better than it being at a members location. I talked to Red Head after Tim posted and they assured me that when I call them in Sept. they will complete a core and...

Reply #17
I will be hoping that one is in stock when we are in Washington about mid September. If I can locate a puller, I will do it in the vicinity and take the core right back to them.
Don

• Beeman
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #18
Don, I understand it's an odd puller. Not the normal two or three arm puller. More of a " half moon" type luller, not sure whats its called?

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Eric & Elena

Sent one to him and he was to send the puller to Craneman.. SO I think Craneman Might have it or will have it soon. That is one of a couple available in the Forum

Reply #20
I'm not Eric but know the whereabouts of the puller he has. The one Eric has is presently with another member (John Kerbs).  He hopes to be finished with it later this week or first of next week. Then the plan was to return it to Eric.

Mike

Reply #21
Eric & Elena

Sent one to him and he was to send the puller to Craneman.. SO I think Craneman Might have it or will have it soon. That is one of a couple available in the Forum
Didn't come here.

Reply #22
I had to cut it up and add 1.25" to it. It does not look good but it mostly works. Let me know if you need it Craneman and we will figure out how to get it to you.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Didn't come here.

I had asked you get it before you needed it.. so you were not scrambling when you were ready.. I am sure he will get it worked out..

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
I had to cut it up and add 1.25" to it. It does not look good but it mostly works. Let me know if you need it Craneman and we will figure out how to get it to you.

I an make another if...