Skip to main content
Topic: Shepard M100 PDP1 rebuilds now available from Redhead for EXCHANGE! (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

Shepard M100 PDP1 rebuilds now available from Redhead for EXCHANGE!

In the past, to take advantage of using a Redhead (www.redheadsteeringgears.com) rebuilt M100 steering box, our choices were to remove our steer box and ship it off to Redhead for rebuild (a one to three week total turnaround depending on the shipping time round trip) or find that elusive M100 core that has been circulating for the past few years on the forum and have that rebuilt prior to taking your coach apart.  The disadvantage of the former is that if you took your coach to a RV repair shop, they generally did not want their space tied up by your coach while you waited for the shipping out, rebuild and shipping back wiat, and the disadvantage of the latter approach was locating the "core", (often sitting on someones shelf not rebuilt as a "when I get around to it" project. ) Further, if you were stuck on the road, there really wasn't a Redhead option at all since Redhead had no M100 cores.

Since I couldn't find the elusive "core" when I went looking, I purchased am M100 PDP1 core from Colow's RV, and had them send it to Redhead for rebuild. 

Since I live about 40 minutes away from Redhead, I went by to check them out and talk to them about my rebuild.  Turns out the had my M100 on their bench for rebuild.  They have an M100 expert by the name of "Court" and he was actually doing a pressure test on my unit when they took me back in the shop.  This is a nice clean facility, and lots of activity going on, so I took a few pictures to share.

IMG_1472.JPG

Rack of cores waiting to be rebuilt

IMG_1479.JPG

Signature "Redhead" paint on these completed parts

Inside the steer box is a conical groove that a ball bearing runs inside of the groove.  Court "blueprints" the steering box by using 11 different size bearings and hand fitting the bearing to the groove for optimum fit.  Other shops only concern primarily focus on the seals in the rebuild and do not do this custom fitting, hence the different feel and response of the Redhead rebuilt units.

IMG_1476.JPG

Shaft with conical groove that Ball bearing rides in

IMG_1477.JPG

Example of the ball bearing that is fitted to the groove -

IMG_1474.JPG

Court and my M100

IMG_1468.JPG

Court pressure checking my M100 prior to boxing for shipment.

I then shipped the rebuilt M100 to my shop and had them install it in my coach. Now I had a nice M100 PDP1 core. About  a week after I purchased the core from Cowlaw's I received a call from the person that had the other circulating M100 core. By now, the core was not free, so I paid the $100 ask price and paid the UPS ground to get that core to my house in Gig Harbor WA. Now I had two M100 cores, with about $1,000 invested in cores and shipping, along with a nice new Redhead M100 in my U-320.

I went back to Redhead, and made a deal with them to buy my two M100 cores (I got back about 50% of what I had in total investment) so that they could have cores to rebuild in advance of orders from our user community. I was told these cores would be rebuilt and ready to ship no later than the first of July. Cost will be approximately $495, a core deposit and shipping to you and shipping the core back, plus tax if shipped to a Washington address. 

If you are going to have a shop do the installation, make sure that the shop is OK with you providing your own part for them to install, some shops charge more for labor in that case, others charge the same rate, a few won't even install customer supplied parts. Core deposit will be returned upon receipt of a rebuildable core by Redhead.

Marc in parts at MOT uses a locally rebuilt part from Waller, but if you ask for the Redhead unit prior to your visit he will quote you both ways, his current Waller rebuild or Redhead rebuild. Be sure to have him order it prior to your arrival so that it is waiting for you when you arrive.  Redhead was also going to reach out to Billy Jack at FOT parts to give them the specifics on their program. MOT uses Waller since they pick up and deliver the rebuilt units so they have no freight charge. Or work your own deal with FOT/MOT and pay Redhead directly.

The main contact at Redhead for this program is Daniel Foster

Dan's phone
206 364-3333

Dan's email is:
info@redheadsteeringgears.com

To recap.  Redhead now stocks rebuilt Sheppard M100 PDP1 for exchange, eliminating the wait to have your box rebuilt, or having to track down the elusive "core".  While it cost me a few bucks, I am happy to facilitate this option for the community.  I suggest if you have a 1995 - 2003 Foretravel coach you consider proactively rebuilding your M100 instead of getting caught in an emergency situation which can increase both your cost and frustration.

Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Re: Shepard M100 PDP1 rebuilds now available from Redhead for EXCHANGE!

Reply #1
What an excellent thing to do for our community! Bookmarking this thread... Maybe I will pick one up when we are coming down the coast from BC in the fall. Topic bookmarked! ^.^d
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #2
Thanks for putting this all together Tim, much appreciated.
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #3
I just talked to Jason at straightline steering in Riverside, ca. 

He rebuilds the shepherds regulatly.  No rebuilds in stock.  4 hour turnaround from time he receives it with advance notice.

$525 plus tax. 

He says that he uses 3 different ball bearings if needed.  Most do not need oversized.

The rubber/Teflon seals crumble mostly from high heat.

Leaks show a wet area around the sector arm coming out of the box.

75% are just seals and gaskets.

Ties  into the high oil heat from the too high oil heat caused by the overly aggressive hydraulic fan controller Foretravel selected.

The hot oil wears the fan motor seals and the steering box seals.

Will crawl under mine and check for weeping around the sector arm.

One place or the other and one way or the other the correct fan drive adjustment or thermostat and rebuilding of the hydraulic parts should get one "good" for another 20 years or so I would think.

Straight line is also in San Jose.  Along with the Riverside, ca.

Saves shipping both ways if one can bring it in.

Any steering wander is not normally the box according to Jason.

4 different bearings for another brand box.

He stated most boxes show slow leaks rather than a a sudden large flow.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #4

Ties  into the high oil heat from the too high oil heat caused by the overly aggressive hydraulic fan controller Foretravel selected.

The hot oil wears the fan motor seals and the steering box seals.

Will crawl under mine and check for weeping around the sector arm.

One place or the other and one way or the other the correct fan drive adjustment or thermostat and rebuilding of the hydraulic parts should get one "good" for another 20 years or so I would think.

He stated most boxes show slow leaks rather than a a sudden large flow.

Interesting!  So is there a Replacement Fan  Drive "Fix" available that anyone has done, perhaps?  And if not is there a Thread that Explains that procedure, possibly?  Luckily my coach has had the RedHead, box now, 4 years, and maybe 20K miles ago, but sure would like to accomplish an adjustment, as well?  So, if the Fan Drive leaks, is that an easier process, to have rebuilt/replaced, and hopefully there is a Part Number, and Brand/Model Description, somewhere in a Thread.  I could not find one?
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #5
Excellent work Tim. Thanks for doing this for the FT community.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #6
If picking up at Redline or Redhead, expect to pay CA or WA tax. Those savings can mitigate some of the freight. They go FedEx ground or UPS ground and weigh close to 100 pounds.
Most of these places have a great negotiated rate to ship since they do high volume with The shippers, but freight costs can be considerable depending on distance. Was $85 from Redhead to MOT. Tax would have been just under $50. If picked up in WA. Not sure CA sales tax.
Thanks Dan for the kind word. Just trying to help the community, there is plenty I don't know (unlike a few posters here...  :-). .......).  and happy to give back for all the knowledge and help I have received over the years, Also to make up for the bad or incorrect advice I've given out in the course of my thousands of posts on the forum!!

Reply #7
Just talked to my local Cummins shop and the service writer mentioned doing a similar coach to mine recently.  Problem child.

Bolt frozen I think on the Pittman arm?  Talked about the tight clearance between the gen enclosure and the box.

They ended up with putting a hole in the gen box.

Was there not a mention of a specific tool to remove the parts so as to not need to put a hole in it?

Anyone know where I can source the tool?

Being proactive I sourced a geared starter motor and will do the box and the starter at the same time.

Any info would be helpful
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
Thanks Tim!  ^.^d  ^.^d  ^.^d  You just earned mega karma level.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #9
Tom, there are two limit types, automatic and manual. Do you know what RedHead has. Can an automatic be swapped for a manual?

Reply #10
Tim, thank you for going the extra mile for your fellow owners!  Your kindness and expertise is most welcomed and appreciated!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #11
Thanks Tim for helping out the Foreforums community like this. I already have a readhead box installed or I might consider doing one proactively.

Mark
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #12
Tim, that is amazing! We rebuilt ours in 2017; it was our first repair experience on our coach. The wait was a month. The parts cost was way higher than you described. You've done a great service for our community.
Michael Hayley; Barry Brennan
2001 U320, 36', IFS, build #5909
Buster and Shelby, (Boxers)

Reply #13
About  a week after I purchased the core from Cowlaw's I received a call from the person that had the other circulating M100 core. By now, the core was not free, so I paid the $100 ask price and paid the UPS ground to get that core to my house in Gig Harbor WA.

Hmmm, how did the free core (just pay to ship) end up getting to $100?  Hopefully this isn't a case of one of those "always gotta make a buck" type.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #14
I suspect someone along the way was looking for a subsidy for their repair.
Oh well.....I had about $900 in the cores with shipping, got $500 for the two. Core charge from them is higher than that, they want the core back, not the $$. And they (Redhead) now know what that core costs.

Reply #15
Having it at Red Head is much better than it being at a members location. I talked to Red Head after Tim posted and they assured me that when I call them in Sept. they will complete a core and ship to me so I can do mine. I do not have the time until then to do the change out. I didn't want to be sitting on the rebuild unit until then so others can use the exchange before then.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #16
Having it at Red Head is much better than it being at a members location. I talked to Red Head after Tim posted and they assured me that when I call them in Sept. they will complete a core and ship to me so I can do mine. I do not have the time until then to do the change out. I didn't want to be sitting on the rebuild unit until then so others can use the exchange before then.

I called RedHead Steering this morning and spoke to Daniel Foster about acquiring one of these units. My U320 has way to much wander... They currently have two units on the shelf.

I'm looking to get this installed in mid-October. Like Craneman I don't want to "sit" on a good steering box for a while. So, Daniel suggested I call and order/ship the unit around October 7th, they will get the steering box to Houston by the 14th. In time for Service on October 17th.  The bad unit will be shipped back UPS Ground.

I asked that perhaps they (RedHead) keep a log of who's committed to purchasing these units. Or in lue of that perhaps just an FYI on the forum of who's commited to this change-out might want to share their dates with members to keep the units in stock? Just a thought...

Tim, BTW... Thanks for getting this started!!!

Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Reply #17
I will be hoping that one is in stock when we are in Washington about mid September. If I can locate a puller, I will do it in the vicinity and take the core right back to them.
Don
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #18
Don, I understand it's an odd puller. Not the normal two or three arm puller. More of a " half moon" type luller, not sure whats its called?
Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Reply #19
Eric & Elena

Sent one to him and he was to send the puller to Craneman.. SO I think Craneman Might have it or will have it soon. That is one of a couple available in the Forum

Reply #20
I'm not Eric but know the whereabouts of the puller he has. The one Eric has is presently with another member (John Kerbs).  He hopes to be finished with it later this week or first of next week. Then the plan was to return it to Eric.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #21
Eric & Elena

Sent one to him and he was to send the puller to Craneman.. SO I think Craneman Might have it or will have it soon. That is one of a couple available in the Forum
Didn't come here.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #22
I had to cut it up and add 1.25" to it. It does not look good but it mostly works. Let me know if you need it Craneman and we will figure out how to get it to you.
2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #23

I had asked you get it before you needed it.. so you were not scrambling when you were ready.. I am sure he will get it worked out..

Reply #24
I had to cut it up and add 1.25" to it. It does not look good but it mostly works. Let me know if you need it Craneman and we will figure out how to get it to you.

I an make another if needed and make the adjustments.. let me know ^.^d