Skip to main content
Topic: electric exhaust fan in my electric bay is running 24/7 (Read 637 times) previous topic - next topic

electric exhaust fan in my electric bay is running 24/7

The electric exhaust fan in my electric bay is running 24/7. It is wired into a junction box that has some type of round button size device on the cover. see attached 2 pics.
Outside temps here in Vermont and in bay are nothing unusual, probably in the high 70's, low 80's. I am plugged into shore power.I have been in much hotter weather before and this fan wasn't running
The air compressor for the slides is not running any more than usual.
Any recommendations on how to shut it off and what the problem might be?
Thanks to all in advance
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont
Lady Lake, Fl,  Independence, VA
Former owner of 2002 U320, 2003 U320, 2005 U270

Re: electric exhaust fan in my electric bay is running 24/7

Reply #1
The electric exhaust fan in my electric bay is running 24/7. It is wired into a junction box that has some type of round button size device on the cover. see attached 2 pics.
Outside temps here in Vermont and in bay are nothing unusual, probably in the high 70's, low 80's. I am plugged into shore power.I have been in much hotter weather before and this fan wasn't running
The air compressor for the slides is not running any more than usual.
Any recommendations on how to shut it off and what the problem might be?
Thanks to all in advance
Secure all power and turn inverter off, then pull one lead off thermodisc and tape up.
On my coach, that is a thermodisc [snapdisc] [second pic] that turns on the blower at a certain temp. I bought an adjustable one so can set temp between 90 and 130 f. Be careful, blower and thermodisc are 110v and run off inverter if not on sp/gen. Cost about $25.
GRAINGER APPROVED Adjustable Fan Switch, 90-130 - 6UEE1|6UEE1 - Grainger
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #2
Good advice.

Also, not a bad idea for everyone to check theirs and make sure it will turn the fan on when needed.  Just need a hair dryer or a heat gun blowing on the thermostat.  On mine, my converter/battery charger shut down from over heat.  One of the leads on the fan thermostat had come loose so the compartment got too warm.  Fixed it, tested it and good to go.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #3
I check mine when it is running all the time, of course it is hot here, but what I do is take a ice cube and hold it against the button at the bottom of the control and the fan will stop if it is working correctly.
Chappell & Mary
36' 2004 Foretravel U270 build #6273

Reply #4
Upgraded some battery wiring from 3/0 to 4/0 today, and ran one ac on inverter [in electronics bay] and solar for about 30 minutes to test. Blower in electronics bay came on after about 15 min. Temp in electronics bay was about 105 f. Of course outside temp was about 94 f. First time have seen it running. Good to know it works.
Jim C.

Reply #5
Thanks to Jim for recommending the switch from Grainger. I ordered it, now have it, 2 pictures attached. It did not come with any instructions. Can someone tell me how to set it. I can turn the center, slotted portion which turns the arrow. Is the arrow the temp I want the fan to come on at?
Thanks to all
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont
Lady Lake, Fl,  Independence, VA
Former owner of 2002 U320, 2003 U320, 2005 U270

Reply #6
Thanks to Jim for recommending the switch from Grainger. I ordered it, now have it, 2 pictures attached. It did not come with any instructions. Can someone tell me how to set it. I can turn the center, slotted portion which turns the arrow. Is the arrow the temp I want the fan to come on at?
Thanks to all
Yes, it is not very accurate though. I put a load on the inverter and let the compartment warm up, when I think it is warm enough, turn the pointer till the blower starts. Use the same one in the refrigerator compartment. Controls a 12 volt blower there.
Jim C.