Skip to main content

Topic: Generator Exhaust (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator Exhaust
The exhaust on our generator is broken in half up by the manifold and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it.  It looks like part of the exhaust is made from plumbing pipe that's been attached to the manifold and flex pipe some how.  I'm...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Re: Generator Exhaust
Reply #1
Tyler, you have a broken nipple, a 90 elbow and another nipple which is screwed in.  Simply unscrew the good nipple, take it to a store, hardware, NAPA or other, and replace.

Liberal application of penetrating fluid on the nipple is recommended. ...

Reply #2
Suggest you replace the 90 and nipple as posted above and then install a new flex pipe as seen here: Dynomax 46972 Flexible Exhaust Pipe | eBay
I would support the flex so it would stay well away from the insulation and in several spots. Might...

Reply #3
Tyler, you have a broken nipple, a 90 elbow and another nipple which is screwed in.  Simply unscrew the good nipple, take it to a store, hardware, NAPA or other, and replace.

Liberal application of...

Reply #4
Suggest you replace the 90 and nipple as posted above and then install a new flex pipe as seen here: Dynomax 46972 Flexible Exhaust Pipe | eBay
I would support the flex so it would...

Reply #5
The first thing we did was line the fridge compartment walls, floor, ceiling with Backerboard. The wood below the outside access had dryrot so it was replaced. The Romex was poorly done, suprising since Foretravel does a good job with the 12V...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
ou dodged a bullet with the open exhaust close to the super flammable black insulation.

On some models Foretravel attatched a piece of sheet metal between the wrapped exhaust pipe and the black insulation. Might be another way to go if you...

Reply #7
My best guess from looking at the picture is that the flex pipe which appears to be stainless steel is that it was welded to the nipple.  It is possible that the flex was clamped to the nipple.  What is left of the nipple looks to be almost...

Reply #8
If you can remove the ninety, just duplicate the parts, buy a new flex, have it welded or brazed to a nipple, use a union and reassemble. You could use the old flex if it's in good shape but new is inexpensive. You want to support the flex so it...

Reply #9
Hannah and Tyler,
You are better off removing the elbow with the flange that is bolted to the back of the generator.  There are 4 studs holding the flange to the exhaust manifold on the back of the generator.  The nuts are either bronze or brass...

Reply #10
Hannah and Tyler,
In the attached picture is the heat shield Jor was talking about.  It blocks the exhaust flex tubing from the insulation.
John M.

Reply #11
The family left for Oklahoma this morning so I was finally able able to make some progress today.  Got the muffler off and the flex pulled through the floor and got the piece unbolted from the exhaust manifold.  The muffler has several holes in...

Reply #12
A couple more pics

Reply #13
Hannah and Tyler,
You are better off removing the elbow with the flange that is bolted to the back of the generator.  There are 4 studs holding the flange to the exhaust manifold on the back...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Being red, it was most likely high temp gasket maker.

Reply #15
Got the exhaust finished up and we're pretty happy with the way it turned out.  Thanks to my cousin doing the welding and Hannah helping it went pretty smooth.  Had to reroute the flex but the new system is much higher and more tucked out of the...

Reply #16
Couple more pics

Reply #17
And the finished results.

Reply #18
The generator needs new motor mounts something terrible.  Does anyone know what was used for motor mounts?  I discovered several small things that need to be repaired but the motor mounts I am unsure of how to replace. 

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Will try and lookup where I got mine but one way to replace them is one at a time,unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in,the part numbers are on the old ones.

Reply #20
Looks great! Quality job. So, how is it for noise? Compared to stock?

Check the archives for the motor mount part numbers and sources. There are two different manufactures so should be easy to just order four online.

Pierce

Reply #21
Thanks!  I will try and get one of the mounts off and see what is on it for a part number.  I will also see what I can find on the forum.

As for the noise, the new muffler may be slightly louder that the old one was. It's difficult to tell though...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Good work.. Darn big improvement including the radiator.

Reply #23
Thanks!  I will try and get one of the mounts off and see what is on it for a part number.  I will also see what I can find on the forum.
Generator Isolator Mount

LORD #283P-155 Powertech...

Reply #24
Hannah and Tyler, Like the hammer in the first pic. Three basic tools: hammer, screw driver, and pliers. If the hammer is big enough then you don't need the other two.