Skip to main content

Topic: Generator Exhaust Soot (Read 201 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator Exhaust Soot
How much generator exhaust soot is normal?  Any?  On my last two coaches, the exhaust pipe went straight out and the FT angles toward the ground.  So maybe they all sooted and I just did not realize it.  The FT gen set does not have smokey...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Generator Exhaust Soot
Reply #1
My generator exhaust goes straight out the side, so if it does make soot I never noticed.  It doesn't smoke at all.

Black soot in most cases indicates a "rich" mixture.  Dirty air cleaner?  Worn injectors?

What engine do you have on your generator?

Reply #2
According to Powertech, this unit was built in 1997 with an Isuzu 3LD1 engine and has a 02GEN10TCGE generator end on it.  It has 1,178 hours on it.  The PO hardly used it, so the last service was a while ago...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Ours had about 1450 hours when I pulled it to change mounts and redo the compartment,the bearing was dry so we put a new one in,also installed new mounts,made a difference,would,nt hurt to replace the end bearing.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
My Isuzu soots a bit on the ground but not excessively, no visible smoke after initial startup. My Kubota did a little as well. Clean air filter, may be a tad rich but my in house mechanic calls it a non issue. These power techs and kubota with...

Reply #5
My generator exhaust goes straight out the side, so if it does make soot I never noticed.  It doesn't smoke at all.
Black soot in most cases indicates a "rich" mixture.  Dirty air cleaner? ...

Reply #6
Both of my coach generator will leave a little soot on the ground after a day or so of running.  

It was interesting starting the generator when we were at 7,000 ft.  Generator stubbled for a little while, blew a little smoke out and then settled...