Skip to main content
Topic: Power tech Pts IDL8000FT (Read 673 times) previous topic - next topic

Power tech Pts IDL8000FT

Anyone have a voltage regulator for this model generator.  Anyone know what wire power tech is saying to cut.
Help. Holding at Longview Texas.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Re: Power tech Pts IDL8000FT

Reply #1
Read through the thread and if you still don't know what to do message me.

How not to change voltage regulator in genset
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Ok dust just settled. If you have a Power Tech generator. Call power tech at 800 760 0027. Go to tech extension 3. Speak with Jeff. He is the contact point for parts and issues.

For my model generator. The voltage regulator is plug and play.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #3
Tomorrow the new regulator will be here in Longview Texas. I will take pictures. My generator is only 120. That's why its plug and play. We shall see. I plan on letting tech read  the issue others have had as these tech only work on generators. The company "Stewart Stevenson " is getting alot of Foretravel business as the Allison transmission drive line  tears up the rear bearing. My front seal was also leaking. Finding bell housing cracked was a bonus!. Lucky me.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #4
Yours is not plug and play. You will have to cut a wire and remove all the wires from the terminal strip. Jeff will walk you through it. My build is 5563 and that is what I had to do to not burn it up.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #5
TexHub,
If you say that it is plug and play then you should have the Bassler AVC63-4 regulator already installed and modified in your generator.  If you don't you will need to cut the recommended wire/wires or you will burn up your generator.  Jeff at PowerTec will go over the wire cutting procedure with you.

Let's say you have the regulator AVC63-4 just plug in exactly like the old one.  Also, when you put in the new regulatorJeff will tell you that you may or may not need to increase or decrease the voltage.  You say yours is putting out 160 volts right now.  If you currently have the AVC63-4 you can lower the voltage to 120 volts.  You can have someone read the voltage on the inside or you can put a meter on the breaker on the generator.  Just verify your current regulator setup. 

Attached are pictures of the AVC63-4 and the voltage adjustment screw location. 

When I installed my new regulator I had to increase the voltage from 99 to 120 volts.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #6
Mine was plug and play. No adjustments were needed.

Mark
The selected media item is not currently available.
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #7
Gentlemen take a breath. I was on the phone with Jeff, Also had 2 senior generator experts in a circle listening and speaking to and with Jeff.  Jeff personally handled my order and shipment.  My Voltage regulator "Does not look like the one in the current pictures on this page".  Tomorrow when I am back at SS and my Rv I will take a picture.  Visualize this, my voltage regulator has a 6 spade male plug, 1 adjustment pot, one round pill bottle looking structure. the rest is in bedded in resin. turned over the label is worn off. 2 screws hold it to the box.  Period. Jeff used the words "plug and Play"!.  Your help is priceless!, of course I do not want to blow any more funds. Current bill may be over 10B. I need guidance on how to post pictures on this format.  My Rv is a 1999 U270.    Basic unit.      V/R Mark
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #9
I need guidance on how to post pictures on this format.      V/R Mark

Type your post, then click preview bottom right. Preview will pop up ability to add photos at the bottom of the post/page.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #12
The description of your regulator is not the troublesome one on my generator. Which explains why yours could be plug and play.

Reply #13
New regulator installed. For my application its plug play, adjust up to 121. At first start, it was 105. With both 13,5 ac running. Everything is smooth.  Tech just told me upon removing cover on regulator box. That wires on left side as looked at, were loose. Looking at cover you see. Burn Mark's. Holding at 59.6 amps, 120 volts. With ac online. For all reading. NOTE: My power tech generator is single phase 60/120. Craneman's is the 2 phase 120/240. The issue is correct for his application. I have no terminal board. You can see in pictures that follow.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #14
Well heck. Didn't get picture of inside control box.

All owners. You might want to go to generator. Check the bolts on passenger side of control box for loose bolts. The rear one has wires attached to it. Mine were loose, arcing. That's why burn signs on inside of cover.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #15
Generator now working as designed. Thank you to: Jeff at Power Tech for assistance and shipment overnight of proper voltage regulator for my application.  Chris at Stewart Stevenson Longview for his steady hands. To all on forum for quick exchange of ideas, experience. It did help prevent bad mistakes.
 This is my final post on this issue. On road for final push home. Mark
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.