Skip to main content

Topic: Voltage Swings with Dash Air (Read 349 times) previous topic - next topic

Voltage Swings with Dash Air
On a recent trip I noticed my dash volt meter (and VMSpc) would drop to about 12.2 v and then jump up to 15.2 v for just a second or two and then stabilize at about 13.5 v.  This process would occur about twice a minute.  I turned on the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Voltage Swings with Dash Air
Reply #1
My coach was doing the same thing. It turned out to be my condenser fan. The circuit breaker was self resetting and the voltage would drop when it was on and go back up when   the breaker was off.
  • Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 07:56:26 pm by craneman

Reply #2
The dash air seems to be working fine, do I change the fan or the breaker?

Reply #3
Start the engine turn on the air and watch the condenser fan and see if it is starting and stopping. My fan was tripping the circuit breaker even though the air was cold. The fan cycled enough to keep the dash air cold. It took me a year to...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Could also be the same scenario with the AC clutch,check that too,cycling on and off.

Reply #5
Several of us have moved the sense wire location off the A/C circuit to a better location. Doing this will cure the false reading of the state of batteries when the A/C cycles on/off.

Mike

Reply #6
Where did you move it? 

Reply #7
I  put ours on the lug of the isolator that has the cable that goes directly to the start battery.  If you use this location make sure that you use a new self resetting breaker in the wire.

Mike

Reply #8
The same thing happened to me and it was the condenser fan and when it fail it shut the engine off. It was on the same breaker as the ecm.  Needless to say that is not so any longer.

Reply #9
I  put ours on the lug of the isolator that has the cable that goes directly to the start battery.  If you use this location make sure that you use a new self resetting breaker in the wire.

Reply #10
OT,

I can't see not adding one more self resetting breaker to a coach that has over 40 will make a big difference.

Mike

Reply #11
Beavers had self resetting circuit breakers for a lot of coach functions.

And a marine 12 volt breaker panel also.

No problems

Reply #12
It took me a while to do some digging, but I did the test requested by craneman and realized that the condenser fan was the problem as described.  Thank you so much!  Headed out today to find a replacement.  Also, looked at relocating the sense...

Reply #13
I see the picture uploaded.  The terminal I'm talking about above is labeled #2.  Can anyone identify ALL the parts on this picture by number for future reference?