Skip to main content
Topic: New Michelin Tires (Read 1579 times) previous topic - next topic

New Michelin Tires

Anybody (except me) got stuck with having to replace your coach tires with Micheline X-Line tires?  I was literally foaming at the mouth when the dealer told me that Micheline RV tires were extinct and that my only alternative was the X-Line.

Anybody else have them?  How do you like them?

Larry

Re: New Micheline Tires

Reply #1
Change the size to  the same diameter tire. Look around for good tires  in that size.

Reply #2
I do not have any experience with the Michelin X line tires but the literature on line is pretty impressive. I have never had a bad experience with Michelin's on any of my vehicles.
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont
Lady Lake, Fl,  Independence, VA
Former owner of 2002 U320, 2003 U320, 2005 U270

Reply #3
Too late.  They're already installed.  I've always run Michelins, but not being able to get XZ2A or XZ3A has severely strained my relationship with Michelin.  Those X-Lines are a commercial tractor-trailer tire for line-haul applications that Michelin is going to foist on the RV coach owner.

Reply #4
CDM. unless you wear out the tread before they age-out, there is NOTHING impressive about them.  I had a set of XZA3 tires and they rode smooth as silk.  These  X-Lines cause my coach to ride like a lumber wagon.

Reply #5
I like my X Line Energy Z's.  As long as the tire pressure is correct, I find the ride just fine and the low rolling resistance results in noticeable improvement in fuel mileage.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #6
These  X-Lines cause my coach to ride like a lumber wagon.
Did you get G or H rated tires?  Considerable difference in max load and pressure ratings.

What pressure are you running in the new tires?  Many tire dealers will inflate the tires to the max load (cold) pressure embossed on the sidewall.  Unless your coach is loaded to maximum GVWR, you may be able to run less pressure for a better ride.

Have you had your coach 4-corner weighed?  This is the best way to determine real individual axel weights.  Once you know that, use the tire manufacturer's charts to set your cold tire pressures.

Load & Inflation Tables | Michelin Truck
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #7
Grain elevators typically have exterior scales where you can do axle weights, may be free or may cost you ten bucks or less. On my light 89 I can run 75 psi with plenty of safety factor. NOTE THiS IS COACH SPECIFIC!!! So weigh your rig and consult ratings charts.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #8
Our coach has always ridden fine with the tires set to max cold pressures. Four corner weights are only good for the amount of propane, diesel, black and grey water in the tanks plus how much stuff you put in the coach for weekend vs extended trips.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #9
Our coach has always ridden fine with the tires set to max cold pressures.
Pierce,

If you are content with the way your coach rides at max cold tire pressures, then that is what you should run.

Since the OP is complaining about the ride HE is getting from his new Michelin tires, I just thought I would offer one possible solution.

As always: DWMYH.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #10
My new tires are H-rating.  G-rating tires aren't sufficient for my coach's GVWR according to the Michelin dealer.  He had me start out at 120 psi, but we can't stand to ride in the coach at that pressure.  The tires now have 95 psi, which helps.  That isn't enough tire pressure, but I'm gonna run it that way anyhow.  I'm a pretty slow driver compared to what I see on the highways, and I check temps regularly.

Reply #11
My new tires are H-rating.  G-rating tires aren't sufficient for my coach's GVWR according to the Michelin dealer.  He had me start out at 120 psi, but we can't stand to ride in the coach at that pressure.  The tires now have 95 psi, which helps.  That isn't enough tire pressure, but I'm gonna run it that way anyhow.  I'm a pretty slow driver compared to what I see on the highways, and I check temps regularly.
If you have a 95 36 ft 295, not sure why G rated won't work. My 97 40 ft 295 came with g rated?
Looks like the x line are rated the same load as older model Michelins. 6175 per tire for g rated, so your coach would have to be 37000 lbs to require 110 per tire, and with h rated, 43000 lbs at 120 psi.
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/XLEZ_brochure.pdf
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #12
The tire dealer may not have had the G in stock.   

Reply #13
The tire dealer may not have had the G in stock.   
Probably true, and he wants to make a sale, do you think he may be a salesman that bends the truth a little bit? :D :D :D :D
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #14
I switched from Michelin to Toyo's 5 years ago and saved over $1800.
I am very happy with the price and the ride.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #15
Maybe I'm off base as I'm not a tire engineer. But as I understand it. A softer (smoother riding tire) will have to have more PSI to hold a given weight, A stiff tire will need less PSI to hold up a given weight.

It's probably a good idea to load the coach to typical driving weight and go weigh the coach and make pressure adjustments.
I had this experience with my Kenworth W900 OTR. It had a super harsh ride. The standard practice was to inflate to 110PSI or the world would end. So I called Michelin's tech department. They said go weigh the truck while fully loaded and call back. So full of fuel and two fully loaded trailers came to only #60,000 with 18,000 on my twin screw drive axles. Michelin said reduce my PSI from 110 down to 75 PSI and the ride went from harsh to very nice indeed and ZERO tire issues in 1.3 million miles.

I switched our coach from the XZA2 285 Michelins to the Toyo M-137 295 H rated steer tire for all six positions. I could not tell a difference in the ride harshness between the two. The Toyo's are marginally quieter than the older XZA2's. I run the Toyo's at 95 PSI, that gives me 5070Lbs per tire load rating for dual tires. Just above the DOT max allowable 20K total for a 4 tire single axle.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #16
Does anyone have experience with Michelin X Multi Energy Z steer tires?  It appears from the tire load and inflation table that that they require 5 lbs less PSI than the X Line Energy Zs to carry my axle weight.  If I go with the X Multi Energy Z tires I can shed 15 PSI compared to the Contis I have now and improve the ride quality, so I'm looking for any info on them, good or bad.

Reply #17
How heavy do you load your steer and drive axles?
The Michelin chart shows the H rated X-line as supporting 12,380Lbs @ 100PSI this is over the DOT max allowable for a steer axle. So Your 95 PSI is very close.
The 4 tire drive axle shows 85PSI supporting just a few pounds (20,060) beyond the max allowable of 20,000lbs
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #18
The  XZA-2's I removed were "g" rated and I ran them at 97/107. 

The difference in the ride quality to go to the "H" rated  Xza-3+'s was major plus the "h" allowed 97/87 pressures.

At 97/107 they rode much better than the XZA-2's.  Just saying
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #19
I run my Michelin X Line Energy Z LRH tires at 95 PSI front and 90 PSI rear. This gives a comfortable margin over my actual measured loads, and I am pleased with the ride quality.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #20
I have toyos from the po. Not having anything else to compare with they are fine. Probably will replace with the same in a few years.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #21
We had Toyos put on in June.  I didn't like that they were slightly bigger than the 275/80 Michelins, and would rub on the air bag plates when making sharp turns. Usually in RV parks or parking lots.  We changed the for the Michelin X-Lines and have since put about 2500 miles on them. We have no issues and they seem give as smooth a ride as the Toyo's, and they never rub.
We too run 95/90. They track well, no wander, and very smooth. 
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #22
Have Toyos 295s LRH run 120 on the fronts 100 on the rears. We are maxed out weight wise. Usually run 70 or so on the interstates. No problem like them. They you never loose air, and smooth ride.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #23
I just weighed my coach with the Cat Scales app. Watched a couple YouTube videos and found a set of scales at a truck stop. Was nervous but it turned out super easy. Got a front axel weight and rear. No more guessing. Loaded with full fuel, full water, full propane and empty holding tanks. I downloaded the chart for my tires and ran the numbers. Compared that to vin plate recommendation using same size and rating as original. As delivered With new tires all were 110 and ride was harsh. Now running 97 front, 84 rear. Much better and a nice padding above minimum required according to charts. All four corner weight best but two axel weigh better than guessing. Cost about $11, took about a minute.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #24
We had Toyos put on in June.  I didn't like that they were slightly bigger than the 275/80 Michelins, and would rub on the air bag plates when making sharp turns. Usually in RV parks or parking lots.  We changed the for the Michelin X-Lines and have since put about 2500 miles on them. We have no issues and they seem give as smooth a ride as the Toyo's, and they never rub.
We too run 95/90. They track well, no wander, and very smooth. 
When MOT put on the new airbags and Koni's. I asked them about that rubbing. They said don't worry, We have never seen any issue because of it. So I don't.

Seems most tires are close enough in feel that opinions of how they feel are inconsistent across the different makes and depends on the butt-dyno of the driver.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr