Skip to main content
Topic: FOT new sales plan (Read 2700 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FOT new sales plan

Reply #50
The issue is that nobody will pay for a quality coach.  Look at how few Foretravel sells or the bus converters.  The market for trailers is even worse.  The issue for FT is that they could not spread the emissions costs over so few units so they went with Spartan.  That  makes them like everyone else.  There are still quality manufactures out there if you look for them but the bulk of the people just use them a couple times a year or for a short summer. So why put the money into it.  2007 destroyed a lot of companies as it was a credit crisis and anything that used credit in their business model was suspect.  I remember posting on RV.net that Country Coach would go bankrupt and Monaco was one hurricane away from it.  I was roundly criticized but I was right.  The weight of warranty costs finally caught up to a number of manufactures and the reduced sales really made it hurt.  We always have economic cycles so that is what happens all the time but not to the extent of 2007
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #51
In 2004, while wintering in Florida, I went to work for a small dealership selling Newmar coaches and Cardinal 5th wheels.  In 2005 that dealer was no more.  Like John just mentioned, 98% of all RV sold today are owned by 3 major companies.  Production was increased, quality suffered or was non existent while looking at the bottom line.  Let the buyer beware and let's save even more money by letting the buyer deal with the lack of quality and suffer through waiting months to get their newly purchase dream repaired.  Result:  buyers are doing more research and now the industry will reap the practices of the past!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #52
The issue for FT is that they could not spread the emissions costs over so few units so they went with Spartan.  That  makes them like everyone else. 

The chassis that Spartan make for the Foretravel IH45 is made to Foretravel specs and is just used for the IH45.  No one else can use this chassis. The different between the one Foretravel made and the one Spartan now makes is the Spartan one is bolted together where the Foretravel was welded.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #53
.......... 2007 destroyed a lot of companies as it was a credit crisis and anything that used credit in their business model was suspect.  I remember posting on RV.net that Country Coach would go bankrupt and Monaco was one hurricane away from it.  I was roundly criticized but I was right.  The weight of warranty costs finally caught up to a number of manufactures and the reduced sales really made it hurt.  We always have economic cycles so that is what happens all the time but not to the extent of 2007

What fueled the last 3-5 years of record RV sales and massive amount of mergers&acquisitions of manufacturers...........it was all credit.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #54
What fueled the last 3-5 years of record RV sales and massive amount of mergers&acquisitions of manufacturers...........it was all credit.

easy credit plus pent up demand from a wave of baby boomers realizing that they could retire after the recovery from the great recession and their 401K really appreciated due to the market comeback. it looks like the crest of that wave arrived in about 2015 because that was the highest demand year in the rv industry, since then, its dropped 10-15% per year. RV sales is a leading economic indicator. the economy is going to tighten, it just a matter of when.
Rick and Wendy Green
1998 U270 3600 The Coach Formerly known as Princess
Build# 5336
2007 Ford Explorer

Reply #55
That may be true but I doubt anyone willlook that closely.  The retarded us the big thing and on their 37 it seems like every other spartan
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #56
Seen the boom and bust many times. Old news
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner