Skip to main content
Topic: Creepy windows  (Read 1220 times) previous topic - next topic

Creepy windows

Anyone ever attempt to repair slipping window seals yourself?
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Re: Creepy windows

Reply #1
Bruce, I watched them do it up at RV fog doctor at Searcy, AR one day. It doesn't look that simple. I could probably break something.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup
Motorcader  17257

Reply #2
I've been wondering the same thing. I recently priced the fix at RV Glass Solutions (Phoenix and Coburg, Oregon). They charge about $500 for a two piece window. Interestingly, they sell new replacements for about the same price. The replacements are somehow different than our originals but I don't remember the details (first the hair, then the memory).

There was a guy in Oregon someplace a few years ago that was doing the repair for a lot less. Also, there was a video or text available that described the do-it-yourself process but I haven't had any luck locating it.
jor

Reply #3
Lynn, they are not that fragile, l did the glass replacements on an Itasca years ago. Getting the windows out and all the goo cleaned up was a big part of the jobs. And of course all the valences and blinds have to come down.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19

Reply #4
When I watched that day, I was mostly interested in what they did to prepare the glass to be put back together. They had another crew pulling the glass out of the coaches. If I remember correctly, they charge $200 a window. I think I was told that MOT sends their glass to Fog Doctor for repair.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
Motorcader  17257

Reply #5
Fog Doctor is recommended by Xtreme in Nag, the owner just had his personal coaches windows repaired there.
They say that the coaches they have sent there have been very successful.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #6
Anyone ever attempt to repair slipping window seals yourself?

Bruce,

John Haygarth did a write up several years ago as to how to DIY it. I will see if I can find it as he had seal, sealer info and tools needed to do the job.

I personally think that it isn't that big of job. The hardest this is getting the window off the coach because of the putty tape that holds them in place.  The trick is to have a jig set up with 2- 2X4 board set up at 90* to each other.  This will be your guide to be able to get the 2 pieces of glass lined back up square when you go to reassemble.

Edit:  It took a while to find this info from John
Cost of Windows
Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #7
I had two windows done at Fog Doctor in Searcy. Arkansas about six months ago. They charged $200.00 per window unless the glass needs to be replaced too then $300.00 per window.
They have 50 amp electrical and water hookups not sure about sewer.
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
1999 U 295 40 foot Build # 5550
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #8
I have used RV Fog Pro in Dallas and stayed in Grapevine at The Vineyards.  They did an excellent job.
John
John and Stacey Smith
Motorcade NO: 11973
1997 U295 CSGI 40'..Build No. 5036     
920 Watts on the roof..CAT Power w/fuel Inj. Programmer
2021 GMC Sierra AT4 1500
EX..2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Ex 1990 U280 RSAI 36'..Build No. 3638

Reply #9
I've been to two FMCA rallys where there was a company that did it on location.  They removed your window and essentially "rebuilt" it and had it back the next day for a very reasonable price .  I would like to know how well those worked out over the long term.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #10
Thank you Mike and John
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19

Reply #11
Haygarth. Great write-up. I'm putting this on my list. Sounds like a fun project.
jor

Reply #12
The RV window repair trucks are all over Quartzsite- on a daily basis during the winter show months. One year, the FT next to me had several windows done, in the RV Park. I believe she has been very pleased . The companies from some of the larger cities in AZ run trucks, locally, for the busy season. They take the windows out, make the repairs and then replace them over a period of several days, usually. Your affected coach window openings are covered for that time period. AND, rain in Quartzsite, AZ happens rarely, anyway. I have never had occasion to have this type work done, on our coach.

But, I CAN tell you that windshield repairs/replacements work about the same way. The difference is that the faulty windshield is taken out only when the new one is ready to be put in the coach.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
Motorcader  17257

Reply #13
 Bruce,
Is this what you are looking for?
John M.

How To Reseal & Replace RV Windows - YouTube
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #14
John, I'm talking about replacing the seal in between the glass panes.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19

Reply #15
There is a place in or around Hudson Fl that does the work and gives you a warranty.
Suncoast designers inc
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH

Reply #16
Bruce,
I found a couple of videos on someone repairing a window.  Video is in two parts.  Also I found a link to Do it yourself RV foggy window, creepy black seal kits for dual pane windows. 
Hope this helps, John M.

Foggy RV Window Repair - Part 1 - YouTube
Foggy RV Window Repair: Part 2 - YouTube

Repair Kit
rv foggy window repair, se-gi window, dual pane window.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #17
See my Suncoast Designers review at:

Google Maps

Haste makes waste.
1997 U270 34FT Build 5140 Cummins 8.3 Allison 3060R
Solar 1920Watts, 14KWH lithium. Orion BMS.

Reply #18
We made the trip up to Fog Doc in Searcy, AR and they repaired 6 of our windows that had the dreaded creep!  $200 per window and one was $300.  I believe it was the passenger side window for additional cost.  Very happy with results and they said anytime there was an issue, to come back and they would take care of it, no charge.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #19
So, I may consider myself lucky, to NOT have the Dual Pane, seeing what they cost in Repairs?  My '95, was the Last Single Pane Installs made by FT, of course!  I am Considering buying the thickest Smoked Plastic Sheets (4' X 8') and the Hardware, for a Durable Install, with a Proper Latch at the bottom! My Coach came with Window Awning Delete Option, from the Factory, and Although it might make it cooler in the Summer's Heat, the Smoked Plastic, will do the very same thing, as well? I was thinking of a rubber gasket, attached to the new Tilt Window, which would allow more Insulation, (Sorely Needed) and a replaceable Foam type, mounted on the Inner side, to make it seal better! The Rubber one would be for keeping debris from getting in between the windows, while going down the road, and keep them from getting ripped off, from wind! I honestly never get much rain, by not having awnings, as I just close the windows, if needed, no biggie there, but having the Smoked Tilt Windows would allow that, as well! The past 9 Months of many RV Parks, and seeing the various ways the type I am talking about, intrigued me a lot! It sort of "Modernizes"  the Look, too!

Anyway, it's a "Round Tuit" item on my list of many other issues, but may receive a higher priority, later this year, and I'll go for it!  I will do a write up, with pics, and sources I find for this project, to hopefully have others consider this Mod? The Insulation Factor Alone, makes it a "Must Do" issue, as even sourcing and install costs, for New Manufactured Dual Pane's, that I have been quoted, are clearly not worth the effort, one bit!  I'd never get "Pay Back" in energy cost savings, in my lifetime, by doing that!

Wish me luck, though, as I am doing it...or would like to ASAP, anyway? So far, from what I have sourced, I can do the whole Coach, for less than one Coach Buck?  I'll keep ya posted though, as I ONLY want Stainless, or Aluminum Hardware, of course!
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #20
 Here's another place to get supplies for dual pane repairs: 1969 to 1980 Airstream Dual Pane Glass Spacer Their foam spacers have adhesive on both sides, a foil vapor barrier, and desiccant in them. They work well. The only issue I had with them is that they're grey in color, and it can be seen through the glass; no effect on function, just not black.

IMO, the only difficult part of the repair is getting the panes separated. Normally the old butyl rubber can be cut close to the glass with a utility knife (there's an aluminum spacer embedded in it). If it has crept more than an inch from the edge you'll need to get creative to get to it. I use a coarse hacksaw blade with the heel end ground and polished smooth, so as to not scratch the inside of the glass. You still need to be careful about scratching the glass but it's do-able. Also, if you can get a hold of the aluminum spacer with a hooked awl, and pull it out far enough to grab with a pliers, it helps. Just be aware that the spacer is somewhat fragile and can break.

Before separating, mark the same corner of both panes, on the outside, with some painters tape to insure they go back together the way they came apart.  I use a razor blade to get most of the butyl off, and mineral spirits to get the rest. Then do a final cleaning with denatured alcohol, prior to assembly. At this point, make sure your hands/fingers are spotless clean (I still try to avoid touching the insides of the glass), place the outside pane in a jig, outside down. For a jig, I use a flat piece of plywood with three short pieces of 1x2 lumber blocks screwed on...3 point locating, and allows plenty of room for chubby fingers to hold the pane by the edges)  Apply the spacer, foil to the outside... take your time, and only remove a few inches of the release tape at once. (I eyeball it 1/8" from the edge to leave a gap for the sealant) Make sure the inside of pane is still clean. Remove release tape on foam spacer, verify that the inside of both panes are still clean. (Can gently blow any dust off with coach air) With the inside of inside pane facing up, make sure both pains are touching all 3 of the jigs 1x2 locating blocks, and bring the panes together. I use structural windshield urethane (Sikaflex, or the like) to seal the perimeter. The sealant should completely fill the gap between the panes, and be flat, or slightly concave of the edges. Put some weight on the assembly and let it sit, undisturbed for 24 hours.

Observation: IMO, for very small windows, one is better off replacing the entire unit than repairing... or leave it to a pro. I don't know if it would be worth the work to try to removed the pane from the frame without "springing" the frame.

Greg
Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370

Reply #21
Bruce,

Sorry it took so long to post this info as to another supplier of the parts you will need for the replacement of the window seals. Good folks to work with.  Who ever you get your parts from make sure you order the correct thickness for your window frames.
Insulated Glass Supplies

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #22
I had Suncoast repair 11 windows 6 years ago.  Their guarantee is two years.  Their seals started creeping again at 4 years.  I wish now I had just bitten the bullet and replaced them.  A forever guarantee would have been worth it.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #23
I had Suncoast repair 11 windows 6 years ago.  Their guarantee is two years.  Their seals started creeping again at 4 years.  I wish now I had just bitten the bullet and replaced them.  A forever guarantee would have been worth it.

Who would you have used to replace the windows and get a forever guarantee?
1998 U270 34'

Reply #24
In the northwest and around the country I have found this company to have a great reputation, and they have only a two year warranty.  And my current FT RV has 100% of their dual pane "Motion" branded windows as well as my previous Monaco Signature, and I've never had a failure.  I also have had many customers with their glass, without failures also.  They do installs, as well as ship around the country.  I would use no one else.  The following is an explanation of how they use a solid divider made of anodized perforated aluminum spacers instead of a flexible one.

Dual Pane RV Windows - Series 1800 | MotionWindows.com

Boat Windows & RV Windows Manufacturer | MotionWindows.com

and how to install them......  My previous coach's owner acted as the helper with one of their installers.
How to - Videos - Motion Windows
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan