Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Change DD6V92 (Read 1796 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Change DD6V92

Thanks in advance.
This new to me 92 Silver U300 40' needs a blood transfusion.
I have ordered the 2 oil filters and 2 FF from NAPA and need a little guidance from there.
Namely, where is the drain plug(S)?
Also, where is the air filter?
Any help would be much appreciated.
YN
1992 Silver U300 40
DD 6V92 Allison
95K miles

Re: Oil Change DD6V92

Reply #1
Drain plug center of oil pan bottom of engine. Air filter behind passenger side rear tire in the compartment ahead of the side mount radiator. Make sure you only use straight 40 weight oil shell rotella T1 or Delo. Do not use a multi grade oil. The Detroit book says 40 or 50 weight oil ok. Filters for transmission oil and engine oil located both sides of engine .
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #2
So Rotella 15- 40 no good? Or is that what you are referring to?
The drain looks like a plug to insert ratchet extension, as opposed to
a nut.
1992 Silver U300 40
DD 6V92 Allison
95K miles

Reply #3
So Rotella 15- 40 no good? Or is that what you are referring to?
The drain looks like a plug to insert ratchet extension, as opposed to
a nut.

Definitely no go on 15-40. You have to use a straight weight oil.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #4
If you are going to use Delo, make sure it's the low ash 100 and not 400. I use SAE 40. It takes 5.5 gallons so buy 7 gallons. NO MULTI GRADE.  If you are doing it for the first time, it's going to be really easy to make a huge mess. I purchased a quick drain. The flush type is the best so it can't be knocked off by something on the road. Cost is about $25 delivered. Put a vacuum cleaner on the oil fill and you can install the quick drain without losing a drop. Puncture the oil filter on the bottom and drain into a container or it will make a mess when you loosen it. Tighten hand tight exactly like the directions on the side of the filter.

Use the hand primer pump to fill the fuel filter before tightening it.

Make sure you have an extra hydraulic belt. Gates Fleet Green belt is the best. Order online for about half price.

Read all the oil and fuel filter info in the archives. Use the search at the top of the page.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #5
Awesome thank you!
1992 Silver U300 40
DD 6V92 Allison
95K miles

Reply #6
I use these plugs on some of my equipment including our Foretravel: https://nospillsystems.com

Some advice based on your profile picture--don't consume "Bob Marley" while working on (or driving) your rv 8)
Dave and Kelli
1997 U295 40' Build #5188 CSGI
1995 U240 36' Build #4621 SBID-SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Reply #7
I use these plugs on some of my equipment including our Foretravel: No-Spill™ Systems Oil Drain Plug – Official Site

Some advise based on your profile picture--don't consume "Bob Marley" while working on (or driving) your rv 8)
Bob's more photogenic than me!
But really, I have another problem...I cannot get the plug out of the oil pan.
It is the type that you insert a square extension or ratchet.
Any advice?
Thanks
1992 Silver U300 40
DD 6V92 Allison
95K miles

Reply #8
Any advice?
Thanks
How about a closeup photo?

Much better Bob Marley than Jack Daniels or Jim Beam!

P
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #9
Any advice?
Thanks
FWIW My 50 year old 850cc Fiat uses a 17mm hex key.  So yes you might have a 1/2" or larger square drive.  I have a Cummins.  I have a hex headed plug.  I also have the original plug with all of the vice grip marks where the hex used to be.  Buy the right tool for the job.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #10
#1 Is it the only plug on the bottom of the pan?  I have trucks with multiple plugs in the pan.
#2 Maybe Bob caused some confusion so just to make sure...righty‐-tighty, lefty--loosy... :dance:
Dave and Kelli

Reply #11
Plug is in the bottom of the steel pan. . Can't remember what kind it was before I put in the quick drain. Looking up at it, it turns counter clockwise to loosen.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #12
Your drain plug if it has a square hole insert a 1/2 ratchet you may need a breaker bar. Drain plug should be torqued to 35 ft lbs.
I Get my Delo 100 straight 40wt from O'Reilly's  their part number is CHV 100-40-1 a case contains 3 gallons. Buy extra you will not find it on the road when traveling. Carry it with you and reorder when needed. The 2 strokes were the mainstay engine for years. Around 1995 with the emmision regulation. They could not make it. These are great engines but over time with not that many on the road,  truck service facility etc stopped carrying the oil supplies needed.
Here is a link with lots of 2 stroke information
Tejas Coach Works Factory DDC Oil Information Data Page
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #13
I order it from a local trucking company. If you live anywhere close to the sea, most marine suppliers will carry it. Next up is Exxon XD-3, SAE 40, also low ash. Mobil Delvac 1240 is also low ash and available in #40. Shell Rotella 40 is supposed to be right on the cutoff for low ash content. NAPA is supposed to have it in 5 gallon containers with their own name.

With high summer temperatures and coolant temps at 200, SAE 50 is recommended. Also seems to be a favorite for the 8V-92TA (or 12V-92, 16V-92)

They don't test for CF-2 any longer. Probably a lot of synthetics will work fine or even better.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
Very first thing I did when we picked up our 1990 GV is change ALL the fluids. That includes the generator. Coolant, tranny, oil. Killer of DD's is heat and oil troubles. Will be at the barn tomorrow and get you all the numbers for all the filters including trans and water filters. ( yes water filter, sometimes known as Perry filters they help coolant systems with corrosion problems). Delo 100 low ash from O eilys is the way to go. Know it's some cash but you then know everything is set and good to go. I roll with a full set of filters, belts and 9 gallons of oil. I can find a shop that can do the work but it's nice to have everything I need to make it happen. Air filter as well. Do yourself a favor and get a  Donaldson air filter. They have twice the media as cheaper brands. You have a turbo ramming air thru a supercharger so lot's of cubic feet of air going thru the system.  Will get you the numbers and post them. Just got back from 5 week trip, 3400 miles. Burned 1 gallon of oil, thrilled about that. Keep the motor cool and check the oil level every morning before you roll and that motor will last a long time.
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.

Reply #15
Great Info guys!  Some funny stuff too.
Gonna try again today to get that plug out.
Thanks
1992 Silver U300 40
DD 6V92 Allison
95K miles

Reply #16
Great Info guys!  Some funny stuff too.
Gonna try again today to get that plug out.
Thanks
My final shot.
Before you were born, Yurre, and since the end of production of the 2-stroke Detroit Diesel, the Detroit was renown for its oil leaks.
And when coupled with a manual transmission, known for its ability to run backwards with the exhaust taking out the air filter and the lack of lubrication ruining the bearings.
IF I had known that starting with the U280 models I could have had a 2-stroke, I might have bankrupted myself to own one.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #17
Toolmaker,

Detroit never ended production of the 2-cycles. They are still in production but not for the domestic civilian market but lots are still sold to the military and also abroad where emission standards are lower. You can still buy parts and not only from aftermarket suppliers but from Detroit themselves. Besides the normal parts, they sell "rebuilt" short blocks where buyers have said many were actually new.

General Motors spun off Detroit Diesel as well as EMD (Electro Motive Diesel). Since then,  Detroit has had several owners including Roger Penske. Mercedes bought them where they are a subsidiary of Daimler Trucks North America. Over 3.5 million of the two cycles have been built with Detroit passing the 4 million mark in 2000. Rolls Royce jet engines are also owned my MTU (Mercedes, Daimler, etc) This is why most parts are very inexpensive compared to most other diesels.

The only reason the engines were known for oil leaks is because GM came up with the the "sidewinder" engine setup for their buses and to save a little length, turned the engines partially on their sides. The two cycles at that time had tin valve covers with only two two hand fasteners to hold the valve covers down. They leaked lots of oil. Since then, they have gone to cast aluminum valve covers and are dry engines plus, sitting upright, they don't get a chance to leak. After an oil change, we drove from California to the east coast and back with the dip stick down just under two quarts.

No, the Detroit 2 cycles installed in Foretravels cannot run backwards. The 92 series was the first heavy duty diesel to go to electronic controls where the DDEC II keeps all fuel, oil pressure, fuel temperature, etc, etc. under it's control. There is no rack to run as they used to say and many still do today. Repeating, the 6V-92TA HAS NO RACK TO RUN. It can't run backwards and the injection amount and timing is all computer controlled. If you overheat it, run it out of oil, etc. it will automatically shut down.

They have lots of torque at low RPM and excellent fuel economy at lower RPMs. They can produce huge HP for marine use but the roots blower loses efficiency quickly at high RPM and causes the engine to use lots of fuel. The Coast Guard uses these engines for their aluminum boats that are famous for running the bar at harbor entrances.

Couple of tidbits, EMD is supplying somewhere between 1100 and 4000 new 2 cycles to Union Pacific Railroad. These are just giant (710 cubic engines per cylinder) versions of our 6V-92TA but without the Roots blower.

Detroit built quite a few all aluminum versions of the two cycle and some may be found on ebay.

The term, "Screaming Jimmy" was coined because they fire on each stroke or twice as often as a 4 cycle so only sound like they are turning lots of RPM. Watch the tach and you can see that our engine maxes at 2130 RPM. Our ex-Greyhound didn't even have a tach on the 8V-71 and fuel cutoff was at about 1850 RPM. It never got less than over 10 mpg even in the mountains with toad.

Detroit's (Mercedes) new (to the U.S.) DT12 automated manual transmission is what we should be using. It's the same type as the new mid engined Corvette uses. No torque converter, no ATF to engine coolant intercooler to leak and ruin both engine and transmission.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #18
Enclosed(I hope) is a picture of the engine compartment and one of the
oil pan with a 3/8 ratchet in the plug.  The white thing in foreground is the
oil filter.
This plug will not move. 
1992 Silver U300 40
DD 6V92 Allison
95K miles

Reply #19
It won't move because your 3/8" ratchet is way too short. Stick a two foot pipe over the handle of the ratchet and it will come off. Change the oil hot not cold. Remember, you have five gallons plus to catch with no way to stop it once you remove the plug. That's the big reason I like the quick drain. Fill one gallon milk containers, stop, start again, etc.

Looks like the oil fill stopper is half way out.

Your 1992 probably has one radiator fan. Correct?

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #20
It won't move because your 3/8" ratchet is way too short. Stick a two foot pipe over the handle of the ratchet and it will come off. Change the oil hot not cold. Remember, you have five gallons plus to catch with no way to stop it once you remove the plug. That's the big reason I like the quick drain. Fill one gallon milk containers, stop, start again, etc.

Looks like the oil fill stopper is half way out.

Your 1992 probably has one radiator fan. Correct?

Pierce
I did put a breaker bar on the ratchet and now the plug is rounded. :(
Yes I did loosen the fill stopper.
One rad. fan.
Any suggestions on removing the plug? drill and easy out? What a terrible
drain plug.
Oh, and I have a huge 3' dia. aluminum short pan that holds 10 gal.
YN
1992 Silver U300 40
DD 6V92 Allison
95K miles

Reply #21
Put a pipe wrench on the outside of the plug preferably a long one, and unscrew. Replace the plug at any big box store as it looks like pipe threads from your photo.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #22
Put a pipe wrench on the outside of the plug preferably a long one, and unscrew.
Use a pipe wrench that has nice sharp teeth and make it a 2 person deal.  One holds the wrench up flush against the oil pan while the other carefully turns the wrench with a pipe extension on the handle.
Dave and Kelli

Reply #23
Yes, as posted above. Make sure you have a pipe wrench with nice sharp teeth and like Dave mentions, have a helper keep it up so it can't slip off. There should be plenty of meat on it from the photo. Now, you are seeing the big advantage of a quick drain. Never have to use a wrench again.

Mine sticks down and I will install the flush type but have a long list before this. You can also see how I punctured the oil filter to drain it before unscrewing it.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #24
YR,

Since you are a new owner, why not find another Foretravel owner in your area to give you the benefit of their experience in all the ins and outs of the coach. Nice if it's a U300 owner. Even after eleven years, I'm still finding out something new about the coach. Some things are just annoying but others can put you by the side of the road.

The hydraulic belt is the most important item to have a spare for. If your coach has eight grooves on both the crankshaft pulley and the hydraulic pump, this is the belt you need. The photo below is for a 1993 with two fans. Yours may be different. If it comes off, it will be a mile or two behind you and without a spare, you are out to lunch. Super easy to change with only a 3/8" or 1/2" breaker bar and a few seconds to install. It's the first belt so no need to remove any other belt.

If the belt brakes, you may not notice the temperature going up until the DDEC goes into partial power for 30 seconds and then shuts down. Resist the temptation to push the override button. This has killed several engines.

Pierce

'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)