Skip to main content

Topic: Oil Change DD6V92 (Read 822 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Change DD6V92
Thanks in advance.
This new to me 92 Silver U300 40' needs a blood transfusion.
I have ordered the 2 oil filters and 2 FF from NAPA and need a little guidance from there.
Namely, where is the drain plug(S)?
Also, where is the air filter?
Any help...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Oil Change DD6V92
Reply #1
Drain plug center of oil pan bottom of engine. Air filter behind passenger side rear tire in the compartment ahead of the side mount radiator. Make sure you only use straight 40 weight oil shell rotella T1 or Delo. Do not use a multi grade oil....

Reply #2
So Rotella 15- 40 no good? Or is that what you are referring to?
The drain looks like a plug to insert ratchet extension, as opposed to
a nut.

Reply #3
So Rotella 15- 40 no good? Or is that what you are referring to?
The drain looks like a plug to insert ratchet extension, as opposed to
a nut.

Definitely no go on 15-40. You have to use a straight...

Reply #4
If you are going to use Delo, make sure it's the low ash 100 and not 400. I use SAE 40. It takes 5.5 gallons so buy 7 gallons. NO MULTI GRADE.  If you are doing it for the first time, it's going to be really easy to make a huge mess. I purchased...

Reply #5
Awesome thank you!

Reply #6
I use these plugs on some of my equipment including our Foretravel: https://nospillsystems.com

Some advice based on your profile picture--don't consume "Bob Marley" while working on (or driving) your rv 8)

Reply #7
I use these plugs on some of my equipment including our Foretravel: No-Spill™ Systems Oil Drain Plug - Official Site

Some advise based on your profile picture--don't consume "Bob Marley"...

Reply #8
Bob's more photogenic than me!
But really, I have another problem...I cannot get the plug out of the oil pan.
It is the type that you insert a square extension or ratchet.
Any advice?
Thanks
How about...

Reply #9
Bob's more photogenic than me!
But really, I have another problem...I cannot get the plug out of the oil pan.
It is the type that you insert a square extension or ratchet.
Any advice?
Thanks
FWIW My 50...

Reply #10
#1 Is it the only plug on the bottom of the pan?  I have trucks with multiple plugs in the pan.
#2 Maybe Bob caused some confusion so just to make sure...righty‐-tighty, lefty--loosy... :dance:

Reply #11
Plug is in the bottom of the steel pan. . Can't remember what kind it was before I put in the quick drain. Looking up at it, it turns counter clockwise to loosen.

Pierce

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Your drain plug if it has a square hole insert a 1/2 ratchet you may need a breaker bar. Drain plug should be torqued to 35 ft lbs.
I Get my Delo 100 straight 40wt from O'Reilly's  their part number is CHV 100-40-1 a case contains 3 gallons. Buy...

Reply #13
I order it from a local trucking company. If you live anywhere close to the sea, most marine suppliers will carry it. Next up is Exxon XD-3, SAE 40, also low ash. Mobil Delvac 1240 is also low ash and available in #40. Shell Rotella 40 is...

Reply #14
Very first thing I did when we picked up our 1990 GV is change ALL the fluids. That includes the generator. Coolant, tranny, oil. Killer of DD's is heat and oil troubles. Will be at the barn tomorrow and get you all the numbers for all the...

Reply #15
Great Info guys!  Some funny stuff too.
Gonna try again today to get that plug out.
Thanks

Reply #16
Great Info guys!  Some funny stuff too.
Gonna try again today to get that plug out.
Thanks
My final shot.
Before you were born, Yurre, and since the end of production of the 2-stroke Detroit Diesel,...

Reply #17
Toolmaker,

Detroit never ended production of the 2-cycles. They are still in production but not for the domestic civilian market but lots are still sold to the military and also abroad where emission standards are lower. You can still buy parts...

Reply #18
Enclosed(I hope) is a picture of the engine compartment and one of the
oil pan with a 3/8 ratchet in the plug.  The white thing in foreground is the
oil filter.
This plug will not move. 

Reply #19
It won't move because your 3/8" ratchet is way too short. Stick a two foot pipe over the handle of the ratchet and it will come off. Change the oil hot not cold. Remember, you have five gallons plus to catch with no way to stop it once you remove...

Reply #20
It won't move because your 3/8" ratchet is way too short. Stick a two foot pipe over the handle of the ratchet and it will come off. Change the oil hot not cold. Remember, you...

Reply #21
Put a pipe wrench on the outside of the plug preferably a long one, and unscrew. Replace the plug at any big box store as it looks like pipe threads from your photo.

Reply #22
Put a pipe wrench on the outside of the plug preferably a long one, and unscrew.
Use a pipe wrench that has nice sharp teeth and make it a 2 person deal.  One holds the wrench up flush against...

Reply #23
Yes, as posted above. Make sure you have a pipe wrench with nice sharp teeth and like Dave mentions, have a helper keep it up so it can't slip off. There should be plenty of meat on it from the photo. Now, you are seeing the big advantage of a...

Reply #24
YR,

Since you are a new owner, why not find another Foretravel owner in your area to give you the benefit of their experience in all the ins and outs of the coach. Nice if it's a U300 owner. Even after eleven years, I'm still finding out something...