Skip to main content

Topic: Failure to Crank - Neutral Start Relay Modification  (Read 220 times) previous topic - next topic

Failure to Crank - Neutral Start Relay Modification
Failure to Crank - Neutral Start Relay Modification

After driving long distance, stopped to dump tanks and for the first time we experienced the dreaded failure to crank engine syndrome.

Pulled out our Ignition & Starter Wiring Circuit spreadsheet...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Failure to Crank - Neutral Start Relay Modification
Reply #1
A lot of the relays are the same. Maybe rob Peter to pay Paul from one not as important. Good information if needed though. I bookmarked it.

Reply #2
Chuck,  We carry several spare new Bosch relays and swapping relays was not considered.

Foretravel uses this start circuit design in many coaches and some owners have had similar failures. 

I think the problem is in the voltage flowing from bay...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Good job troubleshooting.

Reply #4
I had book marked this and will make a note on my information in the coach.

Thanks for the explanation

Reply #5
Cindy told me our initial posting on this thread did not share our panic when turning the ignition key yielded nothing and that diagnostic steps were many.

With voltmeter, first checked batteries which were ok, then finding no voltage on small Aux...

Reply #6
Also did not mention that many years ago we had a hesitating / slow crank starting issue that took over a year with many changes that did not resolve it until finally we installed a new Delco starter.

During that year-long diagnosis experience, we...

Reply #7
Great work Barry, on my motorcycle key ring I have a paper clip to bypass the clutch switch, or the kickstand switch. Both eqaul a non crank/start condition. Bend to fit..

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Had the exact same problem last year which Barry helped me to troubleshoot. Bypassed the neutral start switch and no problems since.
jor

Reply #9
Failure to crank can be devastating, so with a simple solution that bypasses our problematic non-critical circuit, it makes more sense to us at this time to make this mod and not be...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
If I read this correctly, you are saying the neutral-SAFETY no crank function is not critical and have decided to permanently bypass it.

I don't believe this is a safety issue. The Allison defaults to neutral. Turn the key, always in neutral....