Skip to main content
Topic: Water filters and softeners (Read 427 times) previous topic - next topic

Water filters and softeners

Was wondering if one would put a double canister outside water filter before or after the portable water softener.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Re: Water filters and softeners

Reply #1
We hook ours up before the water softener.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
Same here. And add a particulate filter before them as well as a 40-50 psi high flow pressure regulator.

We have particulate filter, pressure regulator, carbon filter, organic filter, water softener, coach.

The particulate filter catches all of the rust bits, sand and all the junk that normally gets trapped in your faucets or water pump or just sits in your tank forever.  It is easy to flush clean and the bottom section screws off and is a good place to add disinfectant if needed.  If we are adding bleach we add it here and hook the coach hose to the particulate filter to bypass the carbon filter so the carbon doesn't suck up the bleach.  This gets everything else including the hose with bleach.  All of that is flushed into the tank in just a minute or so and then we reconnect as normal. 

If you have an electric solenoid fill valve you can add an automatic shut-off so you will never have an overflow.

Reply #3
Particulate filter before the softener in any case - to protect the softener head. 
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #4
Was wondering if one would put a double canister outside water filter before or after the portable water softener.
I use a double BEFORE the water softener. A .5 micron sediment filter (if I can find one) or a one micron and then a charcoal filter. After that, the water goes through my water softener. I use the OnTheGo water softener.

We also use an Everpure under the sink for coffee, drinking, etc.
Ed and Michele
2000 U295  36'  (Build #5600)
8.3 ISC 350HP.
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)
2001 Lance Truck Camper (Sold)
2001 Lazy Daze (Class C). RK Floor Plan (Sold)

Reply #5
Thanks everyone. Before the softener it is.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr