Skip to main content

Topic: 45amp dogbone adapter (Read 229 times) previous topic - next topic

45amp dogbone adapter
I'm interested in knowing  if it is worth having a 30 amp / 15 amp dogbone adapter in case I find myself in a location that has 30amp and a 15 amp (non gfi) outlet on the pedestal. In order to get the two hot legs to the coach.

Or should I just...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 45amp dogbone adapter
Reply #1
Always have a 30/15 adapter and a 100" rigid 10 gauge  extension cord. 

I have both a Rigid  10 gauge and a 12 gauge 100' extension cord.  And two 30/15's and the now illegal 30/20 amp input cord dual input.  You never know.............

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
You will find that now days not too many non-GFI 15a plugs on rv hook ups. Also the 30 and 15 have to be on different phases. In short not worth it.

Reply #3
A 100 ft 10ga 3 conductor heavy duty extension cord is rated at 20 amps for safety and voltage drop reasons.  Use one of these with 30 or 45 amps at your own risk.

Reply #4
Thanks for the info - I might just pass for now on getting one - but I appreciate the info on the extension cord gauge/amps/length.

PB

Reply #5
I have one of the earlier Progressive Industries square box adapters.  Yes, most campgrounds have gfci's so it's not useable many places.  But I've used it successfully recently at a few campgrounds and it is nice to have the extra 15-20 amps.

Reply #6
I am able to use two gfci campground 30 amp receptacles (or 30amp + 15amp) simultaneously because I ran a second neutral wire to the service bay and installed two 30 amp twist lock receptacles in the service bay. I seldom visit campgrounds with...

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I'm interested in knowing  if it is worth having a 30 amp / 15 amp dogbone adapter in case I find myself in a location that has 30amp and a 15 amp (non gfi) outlet on the pedestal. In order to...

Reply #8
Have one. Never used in 5 years. 15 amp always gfi, and that is a show stopper