Skip to main content
Topic: 1993 U225 Bendix Air Dryer (Read 604 times) previous topic - next topic

1993 U225 Bendix Air Dryer

My 1993 U225 has a Bendix Air Dryer which I am going to service or replace. It is extremely hard to get at and I can't see a model number. Does anyone know this model number? It seems to be working fine but there is black soot built up on the outlet. Is this normal?
Any help or advice is welcome.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Re: 1993 U225 Bendix Air Dryer

Reply #1
Most likely a ad-4 which they do not make anymore. I just changed my to a ad-9. Had to get several new fittings for 2 of the hoses.

Ken
Ken & Peggy
91 GV  U300 40'
DD 6v92
Build #3819
2023 Canyon Denali 4x4 crew cab

Reply #2
I do indeed have a Bendix Ad-4. I just timed my air dryer. It is purging roughly every 40 seconds.  :o
1993 U225
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD

Reply #3
If you are gonna switch to a AD-9 best place to find one is local NAPA store.  Ask them for a complete rebuilt BENDIX AD-9 and don't accept cheap no-name knock-offs.  If the local store does not stock one, they can order it.

Note:  I have replaced our dryer twice and both times got my rebuilt units at NAPA.  The box they come in says Midland Haldex.  Bottom casting on the dryers is identical to Bendix.  Just as good?  They have worked fine for me.  See photos in post linked below.

Was: Air won't build... Now: Air Dryer fitment

If your old dryer is fitted with a "isolation valve" you might replace it also.  NAPA might have - if not, I get mine on eBay.  Photo link below:

Haldex / Midland Check Valve Rebuid Kit

If your dryer is purging every 40 seconds, I would recommend you also replace your D2 governor.  NAPA also stocks them.

Don't turn in your old dryer (as a core) until you get the new one and can compare them side-by-side on your work bench.  Like Ken says, some fittings may be different, and you need to be sure all the connections point the right direction so your air hoses will connect properly.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Get rid of the Bendix and go to a Wabco-Meritor air dryer with a spin-on cartridge. Only takes a couple of minutes to change instead of part of the day and busted knuckles. I only needed one extra $9 fitting.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #5
Get rid of the Bendix and go to a Wabco-Meritor air dryer with a spin-on cartridge. Only takes a couple of minutes to change instead of part of the day and busted knuckles. I only needed one extra $9 fitting.

Pierce
Like this one Pierce???
Air Dryer, SAE Ports 1/2" in/out Wabco, Meritor, Style SS1200 Ref R955205 | eBay
1993 U225
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD

Reply #6
D.S.

Looks like mine. The one I bought was not German but made in Poland. It seemed really first rate. You do have to make a mount, buy a 45 degree swivel and a little box with fuse for the power to it. It will take a HD strap wrench to get the filter off as the rubber straps don't do the trick. You can see the clearance between fittings was close.

About the same price as I recall. I just used some scrap steel I had for the mounts. It took what seemed forever to get the old one off. The crow's foot makes breaking connections really fast in the limited room you have.

We have a used tool place in town and it makes lots of speciality tools like the crow's foot really cheap so no need to go to NAPA.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #7
D.S.

Looks like mine. The one I bought was not German but made in Poland. It seemed really first rate. You do have to make a mount, buy a 45 degree swivel and a little box with fuse for the power to it. It will take a HD strap wrench to get the filter off as the rubber straps don't do the trick. You can see the clearance between fittings was close.

About the same price as I recall. I just used some scrap steel I had for the mounts. It took what seemed forever to get the old one off. The crow's foot makes breaking connections really fast in the limited room you have.

We have a used tool place in town and it makes lots of speciality tools like the crow's foot really cheap so no need to go to NAPA.

Pierce
Pierce, did you use the existing bolts to anchor your bracket?
1993 U225
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD